Sasha: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Sasha
Origin of the name Sasha:
A borrowing of the Russian pet form of Alexandra (defender or helper of mankind), Sasha has been bestowed as an independent given name since it was introduced from France in the 20th century.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sasha? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sasha
- Comments and insights on the name Sasha: | Edit
my older sister's name
one of my best friend's names
- Personal experiences with the name Sasha: | Edit
Nobody knows its origins, except for the vague and nebulous "European". I have been asked if I am German, French, Austrian, Russian, Bosnian, etc. I don't even have an accent! People just seem to think that the combination of my first and last name sounds very old world.
- Nicknames for Sasha: | Edit
Sash, Sashi, Sashita, Sashers, Sushi,
Sasha itself is commonly used as a nickname in Russia - for girls named Alexandra.
- Meanings and history of the name Sasha: | Edit
- from Greek it means "protector of mankind";
- from English it means "sunshine";
- from Indian's language Sanskrit it means "truth", "true".
- Famous real-life people named Sasha: | Edit
Sasha Pieterse, American actress
Sasha Alexander, American actress
Sasha Obama (b. 2001), daughter of President Barack Obama
Sasha Spielberg, American actress, daughter of film director Steven Spielberg
Sasha Fierce, alter ego that was created by Beyonce Knowles
Sasha Grey, American actress
Sasha Cohen, American figure skater
- Sasha in song, story & screen: | Edit
Sasha Blouse (サシャ・ブラウス Sasha Burausu) is a character of the Japanese anime "Shingeki no Kyojin" ("Attack on Titan")