Shari: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Shari
Origin of the name Shari:
Taken from the name of the fortified Spanish wine, which takes its name from the city of Jerez (formerly Xeres). Alternatively, Sherry can be a reworking of the French chérie (darling).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Shari? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Shari
- Comments and insights on the name Shari: | Edit
The definition above (Spanish wine??) doesn't fit my understanding at all. I've often seen Shari listed as a variation of Sarah, or sometimes Sharon. In my case my parents chose it in order to name me after my grandmother Sarah.
- Personal experiences with the name Shari: | Edit
Hard to pronounce. There are different ways to pronounce "ar" names, and some American accents, e.g., Midwestern, can't distinguish between them. Consider the words "marry," "merry," and "Mary." To me, a native New Yorker, all three are pronounced differently, and "Shari" should rhyme with "marry." But I've encountered lots of people who can't say that, and either pronounce it to rhyme with "merry," or worse, exaggerate the short a and pronounce it to rhyme with "sorry."
New York is a big place. I'm from northern NY and I pronounce marry, merry, and Mary all the same. I also think that Sheri or Sherri does indeed rhyme with those, but Shari rhymes with "sorry."
Also really hard to spell. Usually misspelled "Sheri," but there are tons of possible variations.
My name is Shari, and I live in Arkansas. It is true that most midwesterners and southerners can't distinguish between marry and merry. I agree that Shari does not rhyme with merry. It is correctly pronounced to rhyme with marry, though most people are clueless, even when I pronounce it for them, and pronounce it like merry. I've never known any Shari that pronounced it to rhyme with sorry.
- Nicknames for Shari: | Edit
Rhi. Shar. Share-bear
- Meanings and history of the name Shari: | Edit
There are two main meaning of the name Shari:
1. Shari, in Hebrew, is spelled with the same root used to spell "Shir" which means song. The "ee" sound at the end means God. Shari, in that sense, means "Song of God" or "God's Song"
2. Shari, in the language of the Anglo-Saxons means "princess" or "darling".
- Famous real-life people named Shari: | Edit
Shari Lewis (puppeteer, children's entertainer)
Shari Belafonte (actress, daughter of Harry Belafonte)
- Shari in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!