Skye Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Skye:
Taken from sky, which denotes the upper atmosphere
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Skye? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Skye
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Skye
- Comments and insights on the name Skye: | Edit
First of all the definition is WRONG and it's driving me crazy almost every site had it wrong. It comes from the Isle Skye off of Scotland. I know because my name is Skye.
I'm leaving what the previous commenter said because it is true that in Scotland there is an Isle of Skye. However, I got this name out of an old baby book and it has a meaning for a child (boy or girl). It means "sheltering". It was a popular name in the southern United States around the Civil War era. More boys than girls were named Skye during that period, but it was used for both.
My middle name is Skye, and I know for a fact that I was named after the Isle of Skye because my ancestors were from there.
- Personal experiences with the name Skye: | Edit
My second daughetrs middle is Skye. It goes perfectly with Starlyn.
I know a girl named Kayleigh Skye.
Skye was my best friends name at school, and she was very self conscious of her name as the kids would call her Skye scraper or Skye line. Though I always thought it was unique and beautiful just like she was. Her middle Name is Louise which is lovely also.
- Nicknames for Skye: | Edit
Skye Bird - Skybird (if your daughter eats like a bird)
Skye can actually be a nickname itself. My name is Schuyler and my nickname is Skye.
- Meanings and history of the name Skye: | Edit
Isle of Skye in Scotland. It means "sheltering".
- Famous real-life people named Skye: | Edit
Skye Alexandra Sweetnam, Canadian singer
- Skye in song, story & screen: | Edit
Skye Chandler Quartermaine, character on All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital
Skye, character on the TV show Marvel's Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Skye Penderwick from Jeanne Birdsall's bestselling series, The Penderwicks