Sophia: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Sophia | Girls
Origin of the name Sophia:
A borrowing from the Greek, Sophia is directly derived from sophia (wisdom, skill). The name has been in common use in England since the 17th century, when it was bestowed upon the infant daughter of James I.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sophia? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sophia
- Comments and insights on the name Sophia: | Edit
Update: has climbed to #21 in New Zealand in 2008
Don't use this name unless you also like the sound of it with the first initial of your last name. In my daughter's class, there is a Sophia A, Sophia P, Sophia S and Sophia Z. Oh, and a Sophie! And, don't forget when you look at all the popularity numbers that Sofia is technically a different name. When you add up all the girls named Sophia, Sofia and Sophie, its the #1 name by a mile!
Pretty much all the Sophias that I know go by Sophia or Sophie and when you ask which one they prefer, they say that it doesn't matter.
The name Sophia is #4 on the list of top 100 cool baby girl names in the baby name book "Cool Names" by Pamela Redmond Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz.
I have also heard it pronounced so-fiy-a. I think it was commonly said that way in the Victorian era. Brief tangent, there's a song called "Sophia" by Nerina Pallot, where it's said like that.
My best friend's name is Sophia and I abosoulutely love her name. She's the only Sophia I've ever met and it's such a gorgeous name. We call her Soso.
Beautiful name, much prettier and classier than Sophie. It's a shame it's so popular, but understandable.
- Personal experiences with the name Sophia: | Edit
There are 3 Sophias and a Sophie in my daughter's class. There were also 3 Sophias on her softball team -- different girls. We know tons of them! It's beyond popular. I call it absurd. Who wants that!? Even if the name is pretty it's like a bad joke. I would give anything to be able to change my daughter's name now.
It is just too popular now. There is at least one Sophia in every grade (K-5) at my daughter's school. On a soccer field recently, there were 4 Sophias playing at the same time. They were so confused!
My 4 yr old loves her name and also loves to be called by her grandma's name for her "Sophie Ray". My mother didn't care for our choice because it sounded old to her because it is her mom's middle name. It fits my daughter well though because she is an "old soul" and a wise girl.
I have a 4 year old daughter named Sophia. I HATE the name Sophie. It is so annoying that when you say Sophia people automatically hear Sophie. My daughter will correct them and say " My name is Sophia, not Sophie please". Sophie is a poodle's name. Sophia is a beautiful name! As you can see, I am one of those pretentious parents who refuse to allow their children to have nicknames, and teach them how to prance around with their noses in the air. Chickens are also found in Siberia.
I diasagree with the previous person saying it is a poodle name. I've never known any dog named Sophie in all my yrs of dog showing. I did once meet a dog named Sophia though.
I know at least 4 people called Sophia or Sofia, and 1 called Saffiah (pronounced SAF-ee-a). One girl I know called Sophia has the middle name Isabella, which I always thought sounded really pretty with Sophia until they both became so popular. A Sofia I know has the middle name Rae, which is also quite sweet.
- Nicknames for Sophia: | Edit
Phia, Fia, Fifi, Sonya, Soph, Sophie, So-So
- Meanings and history of the name Sophia: | Edit
The name means "Wisdom" in Greek. It was the name of a probably mythical Saint, Saint Sophia, who died of grief after her three daughters were martyred. Legends about her probably arose as a result of a medieval misunderstanding of the phrase "Hagia Sophia" meaning "Holy Wisdom", which was the name of a large basilica in Constantinople (Istanbul), which is now a museum.
Prior to the 19th century, Sophia was commonly pronounced So-FY-a in English speaking countries.
- Famous real-life people named Sophia: | Edit
Sophia Bush, American actress
Sophia Loren, Italian actress
Sophia Peabody Hawthorne, American painter
Sophia Abraham, daughter of Teen Mom's Farrah Abraham
Sophia Forero, American jewelry designer
Sophia Hayden Bennett, American architect
Sophia Yan, American classical pianist
Sophia Smith, founder of Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts
- Sophia in song, story & screen: | Edit
Sophia - The Cruxshadows
Sophia - Nerina Pallot
Sophia - Good Shoes
Sweet Sophia - Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers
Jewels for Sophia - Robyn Hitchcock
Sophia - The Rasmus
All For You, Sophia - Franz Ferdinand
Sophie's Choice -1982 American drama film that tells the story of a Polish immigrant, Sophie (Meryl Streep)
Sophia, assertive character in novel and film "The Color Purple", played in the movie by Oprah Winfrey
Sophia Petrillo, character on "The Golden Girls" played by Estelle Getty
Name Lists Featuring Sophia
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Sophia
- #5 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #7 in Canada (Alberta)
- #7 in United States
- #12 in Canada (Ontario)
- #16 in Austria
- #19 in Germany
- #21 in New Zealand
- #25 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #37 in England
- #51 in Australia (Victoria)
- #67 in Scotland
- #69 in Ireland
- #75 in Canada (Quebec)
- #247 in Norway