Sophonisba Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sophonisba? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sophonisba
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sophonisba
- Comments and insights on the name Sophonisba: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Sophonisba: | Edit
My sister is named Sophonisba after our great-great-aunt.
I lived in a dorm named after Sophonisba P. Breckinridge; we pronounced it so-fo-NIZ-bah, but I can't say for sure whether it is correct.
- Nicknames for Sophonisba: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Sophonisba: | Edit
Like "Sophia," "Sophonisba" is associated with wisdom.
The name is believed to come from Saphanba'al, meaning "sheltered by Baal."
- Famous real-life people named Sophonisba: | Edit
Sophonisba Preston Breckinridge, social activist & 1st woman admitted by the Kentucky bar.
Sofonisba Anguissola, Renaissance painter.
- Sophonisba in song, story & screen: | Edit
Subject of numerous tragic operas and plays based on Sophonisba, a Carthaginian noblewoman who lived during the Second Punic War (~200 BC).
Queen Sophonisba, a character in E.R. Eddison's fantasy novel "The Worm Ouroboros".