Sorrel Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sorrel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sorrel
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sorrel
- Comments and insights on the name Sorrel: | Edit
It is a name for a botanical/herbal plant as well as a large boot company.
Sorrel is also a reddish-tan color, about the color of a new penny. Sorrel is a term used to describe copper-red chestnut horses.
- Personal experiences with the name Sorrel: | Edit
I know a girl called Sorrel.
- Nicknames for Sorrel: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Sorrel: | Edit
- A copper-red shade for a horse's coat.
From Middle English *sorel, from Old French *sorel, sorrel, surrel, from Old French sor (“yellowish-brown, reddish-brown”), probably from Old Frankish *saur (“dried”), from Proto-Germanic *sauzaz (“dry”), from Proto-Indo-European *saus- (“dry, parched”); equivalent to sore (“reddish-brown”) + -el (diminutive suffix). Cognate with Middle Dutch soor (“dry”), Old High German sōrēn (“to become dry”), and Old English sēar (“withered, barren”).
- A kind of plant with acidic leaves, especially Rumex acetosa (common sorrel), sometimes used as a salad vegetable.
- The roselle, Hibiscus sabdariffa.
- A drink, consumed especially in the Caribbean around Christmas, made from the flowers of Hibiscus sabdariffa: hibiscus tea.
From Middle English sorel, from Old French sorel, surele (“sorrel”), from Old French sur (“sour”), of Germanic origin, ultimately from Proto-Germanic *sūraz (“sour”); equivalent to sour + -el (diminutive suffix). Compare Old English sūre (“sorrel”), Icelandic súra (“sorrel”), Dutch zuring (“sorrel”).
- Famous real-life people named Sorrel: | Edit
Sorrell Brooke, who played "Boss Hogg" on the TV show "The Dukes of Hazard."
- Sorrel in song, story & screen: | Edit
Hetty Sorrel, a major character in George Eliot's novel Adam Bede
Sorrel Blackbeak, Manon's third in commond and part of the Thirteen in Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series