Tanya: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Tanya
Origin of the name Tanya:
Originally a Russian pet form of Tatiana, which is of uncertain derivation.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tanya? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tanya
- Comments and insights on the name Tanya: | Edit
Tanya is the English spelling variant of Tania/Tanja/Tawnia.
- Personal experiences with the name Tanya: | Edit
My name is spelled Tanya....I have been called Tanya when I was younger and Tonya now that I am older. I really like both pronounciations....My name is pronounced the way it is spelt...TANya. My whole life I've been called 'TONya'!!! I've constantly corrected people...getting to the point where I just answer to both!
An experience from another Tanya: My name is pronounced Tawnya, but spelled Tanya-- and I've always had the opposite issues of course, being pronounced TAN-ya instead, and having to correct for it. I do believe that Tawnya or Tawnia is a better spelling to get the ah sound instead of the tan.... however, I personally have an extreme dislike for the Tonya varient of spelling as to me it looks as if it should be pronounced "Toe"nya instead of Tawnya.... I love my name.. but it is forever mispelled and forever mispronounced.
My name also is Tanya, pronounced Tahn-ya. I have forever been called Tan-ya like a sun tan, and no offense to those are actually named that but I always hated it. I like my name ok. It's better than a lot of the 70s-80s names. But i would've liked to have been named Tatiana instead since it sounds a little more unique. But still, Tanya is a good name. I agree with the person above who said that the spelling Tonya looks like it should be pronounced differently, except I always thought it looked like it would be pronounced like "own" or "ton-y" (Tonya) instead of the "ah"
- Nicknames for Tanya: | Edit
Tan, Tanny, Tawny, Tawn, TanTan, T, Yana
- Meanings and history of the name Tanya: | Edit
1. Russian- Meaning the 'Fairy Queen'
2. I've actually done a lot of reading as to the orgins of Tanya. Of course, we do know that it comes from the pet name for the Russian Tatiana, however, I do have quams with it meaning "fairy queen"-- In Shakespears "Midsummers Night Dream" there is a Fairy queen named Tatiana- but there is no evidence that the names means fairy queen. In fact, to my understanding, the meaning of Tatiana is quite unsure. One source I've read did suggest that it dated back to Etruscan orgins and the surname Titus... but who knows?
3. I have had several Europeans ask me why may parents named me a "nickname", because they always thought that Tanya was a nickname to Tatiana and they were surprised that was not my real name.
- Famous real-life people named Tanya: | Edit
Tanya Donelly, an American Grammy-nominated singer songwriter and guitarist based in New England who co-founded Throwing Muses with her stepsister Kristin Hersh. She then went on to work in The Breeders and Belly in the 1990s.
Tanya Tucker, American country singer
Tanya Hughes, American high jumper
Tanya Roberts, American actress
Tanya Dziahileva, Belorussian model
- Tanya in song, story & screen: | Edit
One of the mice in the kids movie 'Feivel Goes West' name is Tanya.
The two characters named Tanya in the movie Dr. Zhivago
A strawberry blonde part of the Denali coven in the Twilight Series.
Tanya Branning (nèe Cross), character in UK soap "Eastenders"