Taylor Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Taylor:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Anglo-French taillour (tailor), which is from the Old French taillier (to cut). The name arose as an occupational name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Taylor? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Taylor
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Taylor
- Comments and insights on the name Taylor: | Edit
Tailors was a male only occupation. Females were, and to this day still are, seamstresses.
- Personal experiences with the name Taylor: | Edit
My name is Taylor, and I kind of have mixed feelings about my name. I actually like it now— People call me Tay or Tay Tay (or Tater Tot...) and I think it goes really well with my middle name. (:
My name is also Taylor and the nickname that has stuck since I was two hours old is Tater Tot.
My name is Taylor Marie. Growing up I got teased for "having a boys name." But I grew to love the name especially with Marie being my middle name. It goes great together. Taylor is an gender neutral name. My fiancé calls me Tater-Tot, while my friends call me Tay. I honestly love both nicknames!
Howdy! My middle name is Taylor and I love it. In fact, when I was younger I wanted my first name to be Taylor. Now, I am happy with my name just the way it is. Fun fact: My mother planned to name me Taylor, but was convinced by friends and family that it would be confusing when I was a baby whether I was a boy or girl. To that I say, "You tell them, 'She's a girl' and move on." Parents, do not let something as simple as gender confusion stop you from choosing a great name. Some of my favorite girls' names are unisex. (e.g. Spencer, Shiloh, Alex, Riley, Hunter, Zain, Hayden)Go with your Gut and Follow your Heart! Best Wishes on your Journey!
- Nicknames for Taylor: | Edit
Tay, Tay-Tay, Tays, Tayla, Taser, Tater-Tot, Lor, Taylor-Tot, Tails, Taylo-roo, Roo Tigger, Tayer, Tayo, Lore, T, Tea
- Meanings and history of the name Taylor: | Edit
An English name meaning "Cutter of the cloth; one who alters garments". True, but it's an English name with Biblical meaning: clothed with salvation. Taylor means internal beauty and they are beautiful inside and out.
- Famous real-life people named Taylor: | Edit
Taylor Swift - American singer and songwriter
Taylor Momsen - American actress and singer
Elizabeth Taylor- American Actress
Taylor Lautner - American actor
Taylor Jardine- Singer for We Are The In Crowd
- Taylor in song, story & screen: | Edit
A song by Jack Johnson titled "Taylor".
Taylor James in One Tree Hill
Taylor Townsend in The O.C.
Taylor Mckessie The High School Musical Trilogy