Teresa: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Teresa
Origin of the name Teresa:
Of uncertain etymology, Teresa is generally believed to be derived from the Greek therizein (to reap, to gather in) and thus takes the definition of “harvester.” The first known bearer of the name was the Spanish wife of St. Paulinus, a 5th century Roman bishop of Nola. Teresa was not used outside the Iberian Peninsula until the 16th century, when the fame of St. Teresa of Avila (1515—82) made the name popular among Roman Catholics throughout Europe. Var: Tereza, Theresa. Pet: Teri, Terri, Terry
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Teresa? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Teresa
- Comments and insights on the name Teresa: | Edit
Teresa is a beautiful, classy name. It sounds soft, but there have been many figures in history with this name that were strong and wonderful role models for women.
- Personal experiences with the name Teresa: | Edit
* My sister's name is Teresa, and she is a smart, spiritual, and beautiful young lady.
* My name is Teresa, and it's served me well. People will try to call you Terry, but I've had few problems convincing people to use my full name, which I have gone by since infancy. Either way you spell it, you will have to spell it for people 90% of the time, so pick whichever is more beautiful to you. I am always "Teresa without an H". It obviously hit a peak in the 50/60s, so people do frequently assume I'm older than I am. To me, Terry/Terri is a dated nickname, but Teresa is a timeless classic.
* There's a great variation in subtle pronunciation differences - I love being TREE-sah to some people and Ter-RAY-zah elsewhere and Ter-REESE-ah still other places. Plus there's Teresa variation in most European languages. If this bothers you, it may not be a good choice. To me, it's like having secret extra names.
- Nicknames for Teresa: | Edit
Tere, Teri, Terri, Terry, Tess, Tessa,Teecee, Reese, Reesa, Tree, Telly
- Meanings and history of the name Teresa: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Teresa: | Edit
Teresa Scanlan - Miss America 2011
Teresa Wright - American actress
- Teresa in song, story & screen: | Edit
Teresa (TV series), a Mexican soap opera
Teresa (film), Rod Steiger's first film appearance
"Teresa" (song), a song by Joe Dolan that topped the Irish singles chart in 1969
"Teresa", a song by Dick Haymes & The Andrews Sisters
Teresa Bryant, character on the British soap opera Coronation Street
Teresa Cammeniti, character on the Australian soap opera Neighbours
Teresa Moreno, wife of Richard Sharpe in Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series of historical fiction
Teresa of the Faint Smile, one of the main characters in the popular anime and manga series Claymore
Teresa Wisemail, a character from the PlayStation role-playing game Suikoden II
Teresa di Vicenzo (aka Tracy), fictitious character & wife of James Bond in both the novel & movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".