Tess Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Tess:
Originally a pet form of Theresa (harvester), Tess is now commonly bestowed as an independent given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tess? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Tess
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tess
- Comments and insights on the name Tess: | Edit
My name is Tess, and while I like having this name, a lot of people seem to be confused about it. I usually have to repeat my name once or twice when meeting someone new (they'll lean in and say "teff?" "teth?" in a confused voice. Has anyone ever met a person named Teff?) and then they usually ask me if it's my full name. Yes, it is. I think it's a unique name though and I like that I always know for sure someone is talking to me when they say Tess!
Not as popular as the similar "Tessa," according to the US Social Security 2016 name rankings. Tess ranked 996 while Tessa ranked 229...
- Personal experiences with the name Tess: | Edit
My full name is Theresa, but everyone calls me Tess. I love my name it is short and sweet, and unique. I would have preferred it if my full name was Tess, it would be easier in school. I'm in college now so I'm used to telling people to call me Tess. Most people don't even know my full name is Theresa. I would recommend naming a daughter Tess, Tessa, or Tessie. My nephew calls me Tessie, i think it's cute.
This name seems to be rising sharply in popularity where I live, a suburb of Washington, DC. There are five girls with this name in my daughter's (small) school.
- Nicknames for Tess: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Tess: | Edit
Diminutive of Teresa, meaning "harvester", from Greek. It is now being used on its own.
- Famous real-life people named Tess: | Edit
Tess Harper, American actress
Tess Gallagher, American poet and author
Tess Daly (born Helen Elizabeth Daly), English television personality
Tess Gerritsen, Chinese-American author and physician
Tess Gardella (born Therese Gardella), Italian-American actress who performed African-American roles. She created the role of Queenie in the musical "Showboat", and that of Aunt Jemima on television commercials.
Tess Slesinger, Jewish-American writer and screenwriter
Tess Uriza Holthe, Filipino-American writer
- Tess in song, story & screen: | Edit
Tess, alien on WB drama "Roswell"
"Tess of the d'Urbervilles," a novel by Thomas Hardy first published in 1891.
Tess McGill, heroine of the movie "Working Girl" (1987), played by Melanie Griffith
Tess Carlisle, heroine of "Guarding Tess", 1994 movie starring Shirley MacLaine
Tess Trueheart, love interest of Dick Tracy
Tess Ocean, Danny Ocean's ex-wife in Ocean's Eleven
Tess- Janes sister (played by catherine hegle) in 27 dresses
Tess Silverman McLeod, in the Australian TV drama McLeod's Daughters