Thisbe Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Thisbe? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Thisbe
Contribute your knowledge to the name Thisbe
- Comments and insights on the name Thisbe: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Thisbe: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Thisbe: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Thisbe: | Edit
origin is Greek. "lover"
- Famous real-life people named Thisbe: | Edit
Thisbe Nissen, novelist.
- Thisbe in song, story & screen: | Edit
In the Greek myth of Pyramus and Thisbe, she is the star-crossed lover of Pyramus. The myth is retold to comic effect in Shakespeare's play "A Midsummer Night's Dream". The legend of Pyramus and Thisbe is also said to inspire the more popular tragedy "Romeo and Juliet".
Thisbe, in Ovid's "Metamorphoses"
Used in Sarah Dessen's novel "Along for the Ride;" it is the name of the main character's (Auden) baby half sister. In the book they call her Isby.
Island where the Scorpio Races take place in the month of November in Maggie Stievater's novel The Scorpio Races