Vera Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Vera:
Introduced in the late 19th century, Vera is from the Russian Vjera (faith). It coincides with the Latin vera (true), and the name is often believed to be derived from this, rather than the former.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Vera? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Vera
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Russian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Russia
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden for 2012
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Belarusian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belarus 2014
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
Contribute your knowledge to the name Vera
- Comments and insights on the name Vera: | Edit
Reva and Vera are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
Vera, or Veera, in Tamil means 'brave,' and is appropriate for a girl or a boy.
Vera is spelled the same in quite a few languages, including English, Czech, Dutch, German, Portuguese, Slovenian, Albanian and Spanish
This is my great-aunt's name. We pronounced it VAIR-a, with a soft sound, rather than the hard EE sound that's called for in this guide's pronunciation.
The Russian Vjera and Bulgarian "Vyara" (the word for "faith" in each language, respectively), are often transliterated from Cyrillic as Vera, but the pron. is closer to "vyair-ah" and "vya-rah," not the given pron. "veer-ah."
My daughter's name is Vera. We pronounce it vair-a, rather than vee-ra.
Just to weigh in on the pronunciation, I am used to and have met a Vera spoken as "VEER-uh".
- Personal experiences with the name Vera: | Edit
My 3 month old daughters name is Vera Mae. We chose this name because it is timeless. I feel this name is beautiful and will never go out of style. From the moment she was born she is so passive and kind. I can already tell she has a "old soul". She is going to grow into a wonderful young lady.
My daughter gets a lot of good comments about her name.
- Nicknames for Vera: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Vera: | Edit
Latin meaning "truth", Russian meaning "faith"
Derived from Albanian "summer".
- Famous real-life people named Vera: | Edit
Vera Fokina - Famous Russian ballerina, created the roles of Carnival of The Firebird and Scheherazade (1910) .
Vera Farmiga - American actress
Vera Wang - American fashion designer
Vera Miles - American actress
Vera Lynn - English Singer and actress, very popular during WWII
Vera Rubin - American astronomer
Vera Jayne Palmer - birth name of American actress Jayne Mansfield
Vera Mindy Chokalingam - birth name of American actress Mindy Kaling
Vera Bradley - handbag design company named after one of the owner's mother
- Vera in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Vera" from the album "The Wall" by Pink Floyd
Vera Louise Gorman, ditsy waitress in the 1970s TV series "Alice", played by Beth Howland
Vera Charles, Mame's best friend in the movie musical "Mame", played by Bea Arthur
Vera was the (unseen) wife of the character Norm from the American series, "Cheers."
Sweet Little Vera, a song by Buffy Sainte-Marie.
Cartoon character Vera the Mouse, by Marjolein Bastin
British movie called "Vera Drake."
Vera is a character in The Secret of My Success with Michael J. Fox.
Vera is played by Neve Campbell in "When Will I Be Loved?"
Vera Linus from the Koren comic book series "Veritas"
Vera Claythorne from the Agatha Christie mystery novel "And Then There Were None"
Vera Misham is a character in the game "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney".
Vera Bates is a character in the TV show "Downton Abbey."