Victoria: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Victoria
Origin of the name Victoria:
Derived from the Latin victoria (victory).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Victoria? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Victoria
- Comments and insights on the name Victoria: | Edit
My name is Victoria and I absolutely love it, I can not imagine myself being called anything else. Its an awesome name with great meaning. I have become my name.....Victorious in everyway. Usually called Vicky, Vix, Vee and on occasion Tori and I don't mind any variation of it because its my name.
I think its elegant, classy, sexy, regal and just beautiful.
I think Victoria is a beautiful, classy name, and I love the nickname Tori. My father's name is Victor and I wished they had named me Victoria, but they stuck me with the name I've got, which has no class.
LOVE the name, hate the nicknames.
- Personal experiences with the name Victoria: | Edit
My name is Victoria. But I go as Vika. Reasons why is because it's unique and it's Russian as I am half Russian. :)
My niece's name is Victoria, but she goes by Ria. I think that is a very classy name, and such a feminine/pretty nickname.
This is my younger sister's name but she isn't very fond of it so she goes by Tori which I think suits her better than Victoria (Tall, rather skinny, dark brown straight hair, hazel eyes)
My Auntie's name, she never uses her full name because she lives in the state of Victoria, so she is just Vikki to everyone
My name is Victoria, and through out school I was called Vicki for short and I HATED it! I've just always despised that nickname. My family and close friends call me Tori for short, and I like that a lot better. When the boys in my elementary school wanted to tease me, they called me Vic or Victor, but that happens with most names, and it wasn't too serious. I still love my name.
I go by Tori. Only some of my family members call me Victoria. My friends sometimes call me Vicki to annoy me as, like the person above, i HATE it! I don't really like having such an old fashioned name but i do love being shortened to Tori!
My name is Victoria, although I've always gone by Tori. I have never had a problem with my name. I always felt that it was unique - I was born in 1977 and didn't go to school with any other Victoria's or Tori's. Only negative is that people will occasionally call me Vicki or Vick which I absolutely abhorr. My middle name is Rosalyn which I like with Victoria. Overall a good experience.
Victoria is my name. I usually go by Victoria, though if I wanted to go by a nickname, I would go by either Vic or V. There are too many Victorias that usually go by Vicky or Tori in my opinion; just look at the comments above! (No offense to anyone who goes by those names of course.) I love my name, and I have met a few other Victorias before, but not a whole lot. My middle name, Anne, goes great with Victoria :)
My parents went to Victoria, British Columbia, before I was born and Mom thought it was beautiful and, like practically every other mom ever, thought I was beautiful so she decided to name me after the City of Gardens (ironic since we both have black thumbs and I don't like flowers that much). I'm eternally grateful to Canada for saving me from the name Pamela and growing up with PMS as my initials (I ended up with a computer operating system instead, which is actually very fitting for me). I'm a tomboy, so while Victoria is pretty and looks good in cursive or on documents it doesn't really fit me (plus Mom usually only calls me Victoria Marie if I'm in trouble) and it's way too long; Dad doesn't even use my real name on most documents and I only remember him saying it once. Everyone calls me Vicki, though close friends also call me Vic (my Wii is labeled with Vic), my best friend calls me Vicki-Vic, my brother-in-law sometimes calls me Vickster, and I've been called V. I tried Tori for a short time in 6th grade because of the "Icky Vicky" song, but after 12 years of Vicki I just couldn't answer to it and I never liked it near as much anyway. When I was little I had problems with 'V' and 'L', resulting in the sentence "Icky is yucky" instead of "Vicki is lucky" (great, I butchered my name and the name of my favorite of the 101 Dalmatians then I called one of my favorite foods a "booger" instead of a burger). Then people spell my nickname and last name wrong all the time. When I went to Victoria's Secret to get a strapless bra I was asked my name by a worker and felt totally awkward saying Victoria for obvious reasons (least there was no chance of them forgetting my name). I like being Vicki, but it has its problems and Victoria is way too fancy for everyday wear and tear.
My name is Victoria. As a kid, I HATED it when people called me by that name. My parents nicknamed me Tori practically at birth, and while I HATED that too, it was a lot better than Vicki. I think Victoria is more visually pleasing, but not so great when spoken. Too fancy. Now as an adult, I don't mind Victoria as much, but I don't really like it used casually. I despise Tori more now than as a child. Absolutely HATE it, but it's what everyone calls me. I'd personally prefer Vicka for short, but I have no clue how to make that stick. It looks better visually, and doesn't sound so bland and childish in my opinion, but 28 years of being a Tori makes it hard to change!
If anyone is looking for middle name ideas, mine is Michelle. And anyone looking for sibling name ideas, I have a sister named Katherine.
My name is Victoria, and I HATED it when ever anyone used that name, I was always Tori. I still am. There was 3 Victoria's, me included, in our graduating class. I was Tori, one was Vicky, and the other just went by Victoria. I also didn't like the fact that all 3 of my sister's names started with M, and I was the only V. But my middle name is Morgan.
If you're looking for sibling name ideas, I have 6 brothers and sisters. Megan, Melody, Michelle, Scott, Jonathon, Cameron, and Nicholas.
Personally, if thinking of naming your daughter Victoria, just name her Tori. Cause nobody really likes Vicky, and she'll just shorten it anyway.
- Nicknames for Victoria: | Edit
Vicki, Vickie, Vicky, Vikki, Tori, Vivi, Vic, Tor, Toria, Toya, Via, Vicky-T, Queenie, Ria, Vita, Tia, Vicka
- Meanings and history of the name Victoria: | Edit
Victoria is latin, meaning victress, female winner
- Famous real-life people named Victoria: | Edit
Victoria Justice, American actress
Victoria "Tori" Spelling, American actress
Victoria Woodhull, American suffragist
Victoria Ruffo, Mexican actress
Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice
Victoria Principal, American actress
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, who will eventually be Queen
Queen Victoria was the Monarch of Great Britain and Ireland from June 1837 until her Death.
- Victoria in song, story & screen: | Edit
Victoria "Tori" Vega, the main character in the nickelodeon show "Victorious"
Victoria's Secret, American women's lingerie and clothing store
Victoria Newman, a character on the American soap opera "The Young and the Restless"
Victoria, the name of the main antagonist in the film twilight.
Name Lists Featuring Victoria
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal