Zoe: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Zoe
Origin of the name Zoe:
A borrowing from the Greek, Zoe is derived from zōē (life).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Zoe? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Zoe
- Comments and insights on the name Zoe: | Edit
When I was 7 my friends gave me the nickname Zee-Zoo for the name Zoe. I am now Sixteen and my family still call me tht. There is also another song that has the name Zoe. Its Zoe Jane by Staind. Ironically my middle name is Jane. Zoe is an Awesome name. Ive loved it ever since I can remember. I'm happy my Mum picked it.
I was absolutely floored when looking on the NameVoyager the other day at Zoe, and saw that it was ranked 350-ish in the 1800s, which is amazing, higher than my name, Natalie (550-ish), which I always thought was classic.
I love the name Zoe. . .but I hate all the other spellings except Zoë. Zoë or Zoe are beautiful.
- Personal experiences with the name Zoe: | Edit
My name is NOT pronounced with a long E. It's Zoe, like Joe. My mother was adamant about this. ...And, no, we are not Greek.
I empathize with the woman whose name is pronounced like "Joe." But most people with the name do pronounce it ZOE-ee,(like Joey). So we're surprised that about 30-40% of those who read her name, assume it's pronounced like "Joe." We even have a friend who, after we've pronounced her name ZOE-ee in front of her many times, still pronounces it like "Joe." She must think our pronunciation is a nickname, like Joey. We assumed Zoe was "nickname proof" but find ourselves calling her by many nicknames, including ZuZu, as in "ZuZu's petals! from "It's a Wonderful Life."
My experience with the name Zoe has been kind of tiring when it comes to the pronunciation. People tend to pronounce it without the 'e.'
I was actually surprised when people came up with nicknames for it as well. I got names such as 'ZoZo,' 'Eoz,'and a bunch of others you have to hear instead of reading them. But it is kind of nice have a name that is not very common (at least where I am living). It makes you feel somewhat origional(except when people mix up the name). So other than this I do find that Zoe would be a good name for any child choosen to be blessed with it.
Hi my name is Zoya,I've had all these nicknames like zozo and zoey growing up.My name is arabic btw,It means Life,Joyous and Loving as in Live Laugh Love.my whole life my name has always been weird to others campared to names like Ashley and Jessica but u know what the meaning of my name had a great impact in my life and I sooo luv my name.It was when I was having my first child that I came to realize that my Name is a form of the name zoe one of my nicknames that died out due to adulthood.I fell in love with this name and how unique it was and how spunky it makes her look the moment you mention her name, I agree this version is way better than mines People respond to it as a classy name and not a Weird one,It was the only Z name I could settle on and see my Daughter with I am also obsessed with the spelling of it especially with the two dots over the e *faints * My daughter is 8 now and her name stands out beautifully and gives her character.so to all you zoe's out there I say...Live Laugh Love...
- Nicknames for Zoe: | Edit
Zo, Zozo, Ziggy
- Meanings and history of the name Zoe: | Edit
Zoe is Greek for "life" - meaning intellectual or spiritual life rather than animal/plant life, which was called "bios" (the root of the word biology).
The Greeks pronounce it with a long E :). Zoe means Alive, Life and Joyous, Loving and caring
- Famous real-life people named Zoe: | Edit
Zoe Saldana - American actress
Zoe Kravitz - American actress
- Zoe in song, story & screen: | Edit
Zoey 101, Nickelodeon TV Show
"Zoe" is a cute girl monster Muppet on the children's tv show "Sesame Street."
Zoe Alleyne Washburn, character in the TV series Firefly and the movie Serenity played by Gina Torres.
Lenny Kravitz has a song named "Flowers for Zoe" for the daughter named Zoe that he had with Lisa Bonet.
Zoe, daughter of Cybil Shepard, from the TV show "Cybil".
Zoe Graystone, character in the TV series Caprica played by Alessandra Toressani.
Zoe MacPherson, character in the "Baby Blues" comic strip.
Zoë Nightshade, a hunter of the moon goddess Artemis in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians book series
Zoe Hanna Clinical lead in the tv show Casualty!
Name Lists Featuring Zoe
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French)
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian)
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
Global Popularity of the Name Zoe
- #8 in Switzerland (French)
- #17 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #17 in Australia (Victoria)
- #19 in Canada (Quebec)
- #22 in New Zealand
- #28 in Belgium
- #29 in Germany
- #42 in Scotland
- #47 in Ireland
- #48 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #53 in Canada (Alberta)
- #58 in United States
- #66 in Hungary
- #78 in England