Zoey Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Zoe:
A borrowing from the Greek, Zoe is derived from zōē (life).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Zoey? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Zoey
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta) 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan) 2014
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta) for 2012
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
Contribute your knowledge to the name Zoey
- Comments and insights on the name Zoey: | Edit
I actually prefer this spelling to Zoe because it gets mispronounced a lot less often.
Well, you know anyone logical and fluent in English should know that Zoe is pronounced Zoh-EE with the exception of Rachel Zoe.
I am so in love with this name! It was always so indifferent, cute, and lovely to me. I've always been torn between the spellings, Zoe is cute and traditional, although, a little plain when written or typed. And Zoey (my most preferred) is even cuter and nontraditional, the phonetic "y" jazzes it up when written or typed. Despite the overuse and popularity of it I still love it! I would defiantly consider this later on in my life...
^With all due respect, I think that the "y" makes it look over-cute. Don't get me wrong - I love the name Zoe(y), but I prefer the Zoe spelling a bit. No hate of course.
I like Zoey, and I'm thinking of naming my 2017 June baby Zoey.
- Personal experiences with the name Zoey: | Edit
If anyone wants to use really common middle names like Grace, Joy, Elizabeth, etc, should feel free to do so. As a Zoey Grace, my middle name was passed down in my family for generations, supposedly started by my great great great grandmother, whose name was Mary Grace. From then on, the first daughter always got the middle name Grace. I'm going to continue this tradition as in mid 2017 I will be giving birth to a daughter who I'm planning to name Kelsey.
What I'm trying to say is; just because a name is common doesn't mean that it's lesser.
My sister(born in 1999)name is Zoey and she likes it.I like her name and I think it's pretty and cool.
My name is Zoey Alexandria. All my life I've been 'Zoe Alexandra', but I actually really like my name because no one ever pronounces Zoey wrong.
My best friend's name is Zoey and her middle name is Joyce.
As a Zoey, I've never encountered anyone writing my name as Zoe. Also, my name is always said correctly so yeah.
I knew a Zoey in the year above me. She was the Regina George of my school.
I'm Greek, but my parents decided to add a y on the end so that people wouldn''t pronounce it incorrectly. My middle name is Evangeline, so one of my nicknames are Zoeline. (zoh-LEEN)
I was born in 1992, and I was absolutely floored when I started student-teaching elementary school kids. There were tons of Zoe(y)s. Before that I had never ever met another Zoey before, and then just seeing all of those Zoey Smiths, Zoey Johnsons, and Zoey Jones just really surprised me.
My cousin's name is Zoe and I like this spelling better because it is nice and short.
- Nicknames for Zoey: | Edit
Zo, Zo-Zo, Oey, Zoeybird, Z
- Meanings and history of the name Zoey: | Edit
It is Greek for "Life"
- Famous real-life people named Zoey: | Edit
Zoey Deutch (b. 1994) - American actress
- Zoey in song, story & screen: | Edit
Zoey from Left 4 Dead, a zombie survivalist xbox 360 classic game.\
Zoey Brooks, Zoey 101
Zoey Redbird - From the House Of Night Series by P.C and Kristin Cast. <3
Zoey Carter from Eureka