Are color names truly a new trend? Not really. Parents have been inspired by the beautiful world around them for a long time. Between the floral names of the Victorian era and the beloved jewel names of the turn of the century, nature's colors charmed parents quite some time ago.
But we are in the middle of a colorful name revival, and we're exploring far beyond the tried-and-true colors of yore. Maybe you've noticed celebrity babies from Blue Ivy Carter to Violet Affleck and wondered if you can use a similarly vibrant name. The good news is that there is such a wide variety of color-inspired names, you are bound to love one or two.
Some serve a dual-purpose as gems, botanicals, spices, and even precious metals, but all of them bring to mind a particular shade. And that's what we love about these names that strike us as artistic and fresh, in both bold and softer colors to suit any personality.
Whether you're looking for something with Victorian spirit or modern flair, you don't have to be somewhere over the rainbow to love these names. They run the gamut between bygone classic and avant garde, but all are quite stylish hues that your baby just might love to wear.
These trendier shades don't have a long history as baby names, but over the past few years they have become mainstream. They are spirited, stylish choices just right for your modern baby.
Antique Painter's Palette
Quaint and sweet, these old-fashioned color names remind us of a Monet painting. This trend has us tickled pink, with girls' names like Violet and Ruby in the top 100.
Looking for something modern and unusual? You'll love these choices that are on the brink of discovery. The most popular of the group are gems Emerald and Sapphire, followed by Denim, a name chosen by singer Toni Braxton.
These rare names are guaranteed to surprise your friends and dazzle your acquaintances. They are far out of the top 1,000, but they aren't completely unheard of. Some sound very modern (Blue and Silver), while others seem like they should be old-fashioned (Lilac, Plum) though they are all new to the naming scene.
The first thing you think of when you hear these names may not be a color, but we commonly use them to modify shades (think royal blue, for example), and, as such, they conjure up color in their own right. They range in popularity and style, but we couldn't create this list without a nod to these names that are perfect color complements.
Do you love color names? Tell us your favorite hues and styles.
Originally appeared on The Stir.
When picking a baby name, there are plenty of things for parents to consider. Does it flow with the last name? Is it too weird? And, of course, who else had the name? Were they a good person?
One way to solve the last one? Pick a saint's name! A popular practice with many Christians -- in fact, Catholic parents typically use the name of a canonized saint as either the first or middle name of their little one. Some priests even require it before they will baptize a baby.
Looking for a saint name that will fit your baby boy? Here are 25 that just might fit the bill:
2. Adrian -- A saint with a storied history, he was a pagan who became a Christian ... and was jailed and tortured for standing up for what he believed in. He's the patron saint of plague, epilepsy, arms dealers, butchers, guards, soldiers.
3. Alexander -- There are several saints who bear this name. The name means "defender of the people," and it's ripe for nicknames -- from Alex to Lex to Xander!
6. Benedict -- Boys with this name share it with a recent pope, plus a saint known for patronage of "happy death." A little too dark for you? Benedictine monks, who bear the saint's name, have a motto of peace. Not to mention, the name means "blessed."
9. Christopher -- The patron saint of travelers; his name means Christ-bearer.
10. Damien -- Unofficially the patron saint of those with HIV and AIDS, Saint Damien had a huge heart -- he worked with lepers, the people no one wanted to be around. Can you think of a better role model for a little guy than someone who went out of his way for those who were ignored by society?
14. Gerard -- Talk about a fit name for a baby -- St. Gerard is patron saint of expectant mothers!
16. Jude -- St. Jude Thaddeus is the patron saint of desperate cases, and a hospital bears his name!
20. Patrick -- One of the most famous saints of all, St. Patrick is known for driving the snakes from Ireland. And he has one heckuva fun holiday!
21. Paul -- Another one of the better known saints, Paul used to be a favorite in America, but it's fallen out of fashion. But maybe it's time for a comeback? If you're not sold on the name, St. Paul the Apostle's real name was Saul.
25. Vincent -- Saint Vincent de Paul has a charitable society named after him in England because he was, after all, the "Apostle of Charity" and "Father of the Poor." Not a bad legacy. The name itself means conquering.
Have you been considering a saint name? Why?
Originally appeared on The Stir
Choosing the perfect baby name is one of the toughest decisions new parents will make. There are so many choices -- almost too many. So some folks have turned to their favorite TV shows and characters for inspiration. Truth be told, I have an uncle who was such a huge fan of Dallas' J.R. Ewing, he actually named his son the same thing. Take a look at 40 other (and arguably more sane) name choices inspired by TV.
1. Meadow, The Sopranos
2. Vinnie, Welcome Back, Kotter
3. Bart, The Simpsons
4. Arya, Game of Thrones
5. Tobias, Arrested Development
6. Jordan, My So-Called Life
7. Dexter, Dexter
8. Erica, as in All My Children vixen Erica Kane
9. Jean, Star Trek the Next Generation
10. Lafayette, True Blood
11. Rose, Golden Girls
12. Dana, X-Files
13. Chandler, Friends
14. Lucy, I Love Lucy
15. Veronica, Veronica Mars
16. Barney, How I Met Your Mother
17. Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory
18. Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel
19. Santana, Glee
20. Dean, Supernatural
21. Liz, 30 Rock
22. Rory, Gilmore Girls
23. Jack, 24
24. Frasier, Cheers and Frasier
25. Ally, Ally McBeal
26. Carrie, Sex and the City
27. Sydney, Alias
28. Sam, Cheers
29. Ari, Entourage
30. Leslie, Parks and Recreation
31. Hurley, Lost
32. Pam, The Office
33. Winnie, The Wonder Years
34. Bree, Desperate Housewives
35. Theo, Cosby Show
36. Jess, New Girl
37. Phil, Modern Family
38. Brita, Community
39. Alexis, Dynasty
40. Don, Mad Men
What other TV show character names do you like?