2011 SSA sightings

I know that Laura's going to have lots of commentary and analysis, but I thought I'd start a thread here for extra bits and pieces. I've got a list of the girls' names which are new or returning to the top 1000 for 2011, and the ones that have fallen off the list. The new ones in order from highest debut are (I think!):

Bryn
Renata
Aviana
Samiyah
Braylee
Milania
Blake
Kensley
Avianna
Saanvi
Nahla
Aubrianna
Jacey
Elliot
Nova
Sloan
Alaya
Kailynn
Rory
Karis
Bentley
Aubri
Tia
Laurel
Audrianna
Blakely
Dorothy
Julieta
Kyndal
Temperance
Tinley
Ashtyn
Miya
Cambria
Liv
Geraldine
Izabelle
Samiya
Abrielle
Annabell
Leigha
Juniper
Malaysia
Blair
Rivka
Alianna
Gwyneth
Kendyl
Sky
Sariyah
Kamille
Amalia
Hattie
Galilea
Milana
Yuliana

And the ones that dropped off the list (from biggest fall to smallest):

Allisson
Heidy
Azul
Ireland
Ashlee
Jacquelyn
Mayra
Belinda
Katrina
Rubi
Shyla
Tania
Laniyah
Lizeth
Makena
Dominique
Jaylen
Abigale
Janiah
Kayleen
Abagail
Alisa
Nathalia
Karli
Shyanne
Aiyanna
Theresa
Mylee
Carina
Jamya
Kierra
Sydnee
Ivana
Micaela
Azariah
Precious
Kloe
Lorena
Shaylee
Alexus
Jaslene
India
Reina
Evelin
Stephany
Ariah
Donna
Amiah
Devyn
Xiomara
Aracely
Savanah
Alaysia
Leilah
Violeta
Dania

Replies

May 14, 2012 1:14 PM

Wow, thanks for the info! There are a few surprises on this list (for me, at least).  I'm most surprised to see that Dorothy has risen back into the top 1000, and that Temperance is in the top 1000 for the first time ever.  I would have thought if Temperance would ever become more popular it would be because it's the name of the main character on the tv show "Bones," but since the show is in its 7th season, I doubt it had any impact.

May 14, 2012 4:30 PM

New boys' names:

Raylan
Bowen
Crosby
Rylen
Amos
Harvey
Cassius
Callan
Brenton
Brysen
Nixon
Elvis
Arlo
Braylin
Turner
Arian
Miller
Mustafa
Otto
Vihaan
Enoch
Benton
Graysen
Reuben
Flynn
Maxton
Mariano
Brecken
Eliseo
Zeke
Maksim
Coen
Hendrix
Princeton
Dimitri
Kyan
Corban
Yehuda
Cayson
Kamren
Kohen
Ethen

Gone boys' names:

Aarush
Aedan
Ameer
Antony
Antwan
Bailey
Bode
Carsen
Clarence
Dashawn
Daylen
Demarion
Destin
Devyn
Dilan
Dillan
Eliot
Humberto
Jadyn
Jaquan
Jayvion
Jencarlos
Jordon
Kadin
Kadyn
Keshawn
Koen
Leroy
Marley
Menachem
Nigel
Octavio
Pranav
Ronaldo
Sheldon
Slade
Talan
Yael
Yair
Yousef
Zack
Zaid

By PJ
May 15, 2012 10:57 AM

I'm surprised that it took this long for Katrina to fall. I would have expected a big drop right after the hurricane.

By Coll
May 21, 2012 9:08 AM

I love that Geraldine and Dorothy have returned (though probably something as small as 3 additional babies getting those names made the difference). Geraldine is a secret fave of mine. I'd speculate that it's fortunes could follow those of Josephine, but it donesn't have the trendy J and intererior S sounds, and instead has an awkward R, so I doubt it will.

By hyz
May 21, 2012 10:50 AM

Thanks for doing this!  I love that Laurel is back on the girl list--I think it's so pretty and different with it's -l ending that I'm glad to see it getting a little love (a little, but not *too* much, since it's still on my girl list ;)  Cambria is a neat addition, which has also recently been added to my own list--it has personal meaning to me, but I'm held back just a bit by the internal -br- sound, which is one of my less favorite sounds.  Also happy to see Juniper, Amalia, Dorothy, and Temperance.  Malaysia, though?  Not sure what to make of that one.

For the boys, there are a lot of new additions I like, which surprises me since I guess I usually expect the newbies to be things like respellings and variations on names I dislike.  And there are some of those, but I'm happy to also see the likes of Crosby, Amos, Cassius, Arlo, and Otto.  And weren't we just talking about how Enoch was unlikely to make a comeback?  Maybe we spoke too soon....