How did the names on your 'list' fare in the 2011 stats?

I'm not in the US so the stats aren't totally relevant to me, but they very very interesting and great for watching trends.

I looked at all the names we had on our shortlist for girls and boys. With the girls, not too many surpises. The only names we considered that are in the top 1000 this year are Juliet (it again moved up, now at number 252 and continuing to climb) and Juniper (#970) which cracked the top 1000.  All the others were below the top 1000 and most hadn't moved up the list much if any.

We ended up using Astrid for our daughter and it has trended up slightly in the last couple of years. Still below the top 1000 but it isn't far off now. It was given to 232 babies and the number 1000 spot was given to 250 babies. Her middle name was only given to 107 babies, so a pretty unusal combo most likely.

Boys names were a different story. Lots of upward movement there. August is now at #398 and most of the August variants (Augustus, Augustin etc) are also moving up.  Silas is now at #183, up from #222 and continuing to climb. Will have to watch that one. Vaughn is holding steady around the 900 mark. Cormac was up to 149 babies (from 123) but still below the top 1000. Casper/Caspar and Alasdair are still being used very infrequently.

Anything interesting from the names you are watching?

Replies

May 15, 2012 5:19 PM

Eleanor continued its upward trend - from 165 to 150. I still feel happy we went with that name - because (a) it fits her perfectly and (b) if it does break the top 100 it'll be a few more years.

As for our runner up girls names - Clara went up from 167 to 151 (right behind E!) and Penelope jumped from 200 to 169.

Actually, if you look at Penelope on the name voyager - its trajectory for the last few years is crazy. I'm wondering if it'll drop back as suddenly, and feel really dated - whereas Eleanor and Clara would feel more timeless.

May 15, 2012 5:25 PM

Oh, and as for our boy name ideas - Vaughn moved up from 935 to 903, Rhys went down from 471 to 486, and Marshall went up from 374 to 340.

So apparently we like much more obscure boy names than girl names. Or we're trendier with our girl names - because a couple of years ago they were all more obscure too!

May 16, 2012 1:54 AM

It's interesting that all your girl names are of a similar popularity. They all fit together really well, not not surprising. I don't think Penelope is going to feel too dated. It's been around long enough to not have a time-stamp unless something weird happens in the next couple of years.

It seems you are the opposite to me. My boys name watch list is more popular than girls. I'm also glad there is another Vaughn lover out there!

May 16, 2012 4:36 PM

Chimu-I am a Vaughn lover too! Not having an actual baby to name, the numbers of the names aren't worrisome or concerning as far as their movement up or down. What does interest me are the types of names that are popular and how much the flow of things seems to change. I always look at how much the 70/80's style that I like go up or down just for fun. It's sad when they fall out of the top 1000 but interesting when they hang on for a long period of time. 

May 17, 2012 8:41 PM

zoerhenne - I'm glad there is another vaughn lover out there!

I am constantly surprised at how many of the 70s/80s names are still ranking not too badly when I can't remember the last time I met a young Michelle, Nicole, Jennifer etc

May 18, 2012 11:30 PM

Some of the Michelles may be hiding under "Ellie" -- that was the case with the last toddler Michelle I met.

May 17, 2012 12:43 AM

My son's name, Evan, is trending down at this point - from 35 in 2009 to 40 in 2011. Obviously I knew it was popular when I chose it, but I would prefer if it stay out of the top 20.

My daughter's name, Miranda, is continuing to plummet.  199 in 2011 - almost out of the top 200.

So, I apparently pick names that are on the way out.  :) 

May 17, 2012 8:42 PM

Evan and Miranda are a nice set! I only know of one young Miranda (one adult Miranda I went to school with) and no Evans :)

May 18, 2012 11:33 AM

My daughter has a friend Miranda and last yr in gymnastics there was a Jennifer. So they are both in the 8yr old set. There are plenty of "modern" names in her age group of course. The one that surprised me was Aimee/Amy. I forget the spelling but its just not a name I hear on young ones very often around here. I'm sure if I met a Lindsey or a Celeste or Lisa or a boy named Jeffrey or Gregory, it would surely blow my mind.

May 18, 2012 4:23 PM

Friends of ours adopted boy-girl twins named Lisa and Christopher. They're about 3 or 4 years old now. I mention the adopted status because I don't know who actually gave the names. (Adoptive mom is French, which may also have skewed things.)

By hyz
May 18, 2012 2:04 PM

Well, I always watch our kids--1vy jumped from 299 to 266, but does not worry me much at all unless Beyonce gives it a bigger bump in 2012 and going forward.  Our dear Oliver is continuing its steady climb (it was at 209 in 2005, then 173, 140, 118, 98, 88, and finally 78 in 2011).  I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 50 in the next few years, but hope he wouldn't go much past that.  Although, functionally, in our circles, it already seems to be in the top 20 or so, which is really what matters as far as our experience of it goes.  And it's fine.  As for future names, Sylvia is holding steady in the mid 550s (leveling off after a pretty steady drop from the 1930s all the way to the early 2000s), and you already noted August's break into the 300s after being in the 600s-400s for the prior decade.  I can't believe that Beatrix is still not in the top 1000--that is incomprehensible to me.  Solomon is holding steady in the mid 400s (449, not far from where it has been hovering for the last decade).  Graham is steadily climbing, up almost 30 spots to 253. Pearl jumped back on the list in 2007 and 2009, and is now up to 814.  Virginia seems to be in flux--it had fallen every year until 2010, when it turned around and went from 615 to 602, and then to 576 last year.  The beginning of a turnaround?  I just learned there are actually two young Virginias in my neighborhood--so much for feeling original.  ;)  Some of my other faves, though (Rosamond, Hyacinth, Orson, Alastair, etc.) haven't seen the list in decades, if ever.

By hyz
May 18, 2012 2:22 PM

Oh, and I am happy to report that my old boy favorite Rowan seems to be having a change of fortunes.  It is now dropping for girls and still rising for boys, probably aided by the fact that the 2 syl. -n names are so dominant for boys now.

Rowan first popped on the charts for girls in 2003 at 956.  In the years since, it has gone from 709, 766, 640, 452, 470, 495, 493, then to 535 last year.

Rowan first made the chart for boys in 1999 at 990.  By 2003 when the girls came on the scene it was at 629, then went to 476, 437, 423, 365, 340, 334, 327, finally to 309 last year. 

There was awhile when people were starting to justify their use of Rowan on daughters on the fact that the numbers were about equal for both sexes and growing for girls, but I'm glad to see the spread widening again.  I guess I don't mind it on some girls, but I'd really hate to see it truly switch over in popular usage. 

May 18, 2012 5:12 PM

Oh, thanks for that update and I'm so glad that someone else feels that way about Rowan! That's my dad's name (born 1950 - my grandmother was WAY ahead of the trend) and it was really annoying for me to see an obscure male name bestowed on so many little girls. I blame Brooke Shields, who named her daughter Rowan in 2003, for popularizing it.

May 19, 2012 5:57 AM

hyz, I'm glad Oliver isn't quite as popular in your neck of the woods as mine! It will definitely be top 5 here this year and on some unofficial lists it is coming up number 1!  I still am very fond of the name despite knowing a lot of Oliver's now :)

I totally agree with you on Rowan. I just don't see it as a girl's name at all. I think the only girl I know of named Rowan is the aforementioned daughter of Brooke Shields. Obviously there are a lot of others out there though. I am pleased it looks like it might be swinging back to the boys.

May 25, 2012 10:44 AM

Beatrix is a lovely name, but it may strike Harry Potter fans as being similar to the name of the villainess Bellatrix - that may be holding it back.

May 18, 2012 11:38 PM

I've been a big fan of Theresa and that has been my prefered spelling but it looks like Teresa is taking over.  In 2011 Theresa was out of the top 1000.  In 2010 it had been at 928.  In 2010 there were 278 baby Theresa and in 2011 that was down to 211.  The real story though is that Teresa was way up from 695 to 537.  In 2010 there were 408 babies and in 2011 there were 537 (the number of babies is the same as the rank - just a tad confusing).  So overall the combined number of baby Teresa/Theresa went up in from 686 to 748.  I know most baby namers don't like it when their favorites rise in the numbers but I like Teresa enough that I'd love for it to reclaim some of it's popularity. 

I have always prefered the Theresa spelling but I've had some namer remorse that I didn't go with the more common spelling of Katharine's name.  So I'm giving Teresa another look (dh prefers that spelling anyway).  If I ever have way too much time on my hand I want to figure out which states gave Teresa her jump.

Another favorite of mine Leah droped from #24 to #29.  The fact that it dropped seems to indicate that it's not going to get crazy popular which is good in case I do want to use it. 

On the boy side my 3 son's names were all down slightly.  My son's Paul name continues it's steady drop.  Mark's seems to have leveled off, and James was up 2 spots but actually down about 600 babies.  Our next pick Andrew was up slightly but with it's long run of popularity I don't think it means too much.

By EVie
May 19, 2012 12:46 AM

another Laura - I would guess that the Teresa jump had something to do with the Real Housewives of New Jersey. I don't watch the show(s), but I've read enough magazines to gather that one of them is named Teresa, and she has temper tantrums in which she flips over tables (or something like that).

hyz - not only is Rosamond not on the Top 1000, but it isn't even on the Beyond the Top 1000 list, and hasn't been since 2007, when there were 5 of them. Rosamund is even rarer. That's baby name gold right there! Hyacinth also isn't on the big list, though I haven't gone back to see if it ever appears.

May 19, 2012 6:00 AM

another Laura, FWIW I prefer Theresa over Teresa but I'm still a fan of either for you!

I also noticed that Rosamond and Hyacinth didn't even make the beyond the top 1000 list! Pretty good odds on neither of them getting too popular soon.

May 19, 2012 9:27 AM

Thanks for the info about Teresa.  Isn't it strange what can give baby names a bump?

May 23, 2012 1:20 PM

Theresa is one of my top 5 favorite girls' names. Teresa is the standard spelling in Spanish, so I suspect that's behind some of its rise. Go with Theresa! I can't figure out why in the world it has fallen so far.

By hyz
May 19, 2012 10:22 AM

Thanks!  I hadn't checked that!  Well, if we should ever have a girl in the future, I'm quite sure I'll put them back on the list and see if DH has budged on them at all since the last time around--you never know unless you try... :)

May 19, 2012 5:40 PM

my daughters name Clair with that spelling is not in the top 1000, but with the E at the end, it went from  #62 in 2008 , when she arrived on the scene, to #50 in 2011, i also looked up her legal name clair1ssa and with that spelling, she did not rank in top 1000, but the 'normal' spelling was in the 500's in 2011 but in the 250's in 2000, so that went down in popularity. i only chose the 'weird' spellings because i was determined she would be called Clair in daily usage and actually struggle with nicknames that aren't spelled similar to their formal names-it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyhow- my prospective boy or girl to be names ranked as such:

Grant is #151 in 2011, sliding down from being #123 in the year 2000

Elise is #162 in 2011, rising from #254 in year 2000

By Jill
May 21, 2012 10:07 AM

hyz, I'm also surprised about Beatrix not making the list.  I was interested to see that Juniper made the list this year.

I'm shocked that my favorite boys names are not on the list -- Linus, Magnus, Ambrose.  

For girls, Florence, Flora, Zelda, Aurelia, and Tilda are not the on the list (though Matilda is on there, and up slightly)

May 21, 2012 4:24 PM

I'm also surprised Beatrix isn't in the top 1000!

Jill, I'm also a fan of Linus, Magnus and  Ambrose so good to know they are still not getting popular.

I know three young Aurelias but I think it might be an aberration since it also doesn't seem popular. Matilda is super popular here, top 100 and climbing. I've not come accross any Florences, Floras, Zeldas or Tildas though.  Florence might get a bump from Florence and the Machine? It seems ripe for a comeback.

By Guest (not verified)
June 4, 2012 2:38 AM

It's funny how we live in pockets - I have met several Zeldas, but no Aurelias!

As for Beatrix, I DO know several young women named Beatriz, and I'd guess that spelling dilution is responsible. Beatrice is the most common spelling, then Beatriz, then Beatrix. So perhaps a bit like the Teresa spelling becoming more common owing to its being the default in Spanish.

By hyz
June 4, 2012 10:07 AM

I guess that has something to do with it, but I feel like those are 3 distinct versions of the name who would generally appeal to different groups, and not true spelling variations like Alison/Allison or Lindsey/Lindsay.  To me, Beatriz is clearly a Spanish version, Beatrix is sort of a spunky hipster name with a big dash of vintage British sweetness thanks to the connection with Beatrix Potter, and Beatrice is, well... I don't know--to me, Beatrice sounds like Beatrix's mousy, less cool sister--and the -ice ending also sounds dated to me, making me think of older women I've know named Patrice/Latrice/Sharice/Denise/Candice, although for some reason it doesn't bother me in Alice--but I know Beatrice has a lot of fans here (and, as you said, is the most popular version of the name), so maybe I'm missing something.

By Guest (not verified)
June 1, 2012 2:24 AM

I've always thought Mason should be a super popular boy's name, along with Jack.  Mason went from 12 to 2 and was out of the top 50 a decade ago.  I wonder if it will stay up at #2, or fall back quickly.  My spouse does not like "popular" names, so I guess it's good we didn't choose it for our newborn.

By Coll
June 4, 2012 9:18 PM

I carefully tracked my little guy Simon: looks like it's down a few spots at 254. It's been bumping around the 250s-240s for the past decade after rising in the '90s. I wonder if anything will shake it out of this stasis to either a more drastic rise or a fall.

Of course our favorite girls' name Josephine continues its rise, jumping up to the 180s. When we chose it together 6 or 7 years ago it was ranked around the 250s, just like Simon. I have a feeling by the time we eventually have a girl it will be in the top 100 :(

My new favorite for a second boy, Graham, seems to be rising but not drastically and is sill out of the top 200.

And my second favorite girl's name, Henrietta, is still out of the top 10000.

June 5, 2012 4:41 AM

Coll, I love Simon and Josephine or Henrietta wouild make a great sister!  Harriet seems to be gaining popularity in my circles but I have yet to come across a Henrietta.  I would love to meet one though :)