Oranjello and Lemonjello

Sep 26th 2004

So you've heard about the twin boys named Oranjello and Lemonjello, right? No? Then probably your aunt the nurse knew a woman who heard a beautiful name in the hospital where she was giving birth, and decided to name her daughter...Chlamydia. Or was it Gonorrhea?

These legends have been around for generations. The details change--the veneral disease girls would have been named Eczema 100 years ago--but the core is the same. The key is a stupendously ignorant mother who doesn't understand what she's done. And often, there's an ugly racial undertone to the humor.

Yes, people do get stupid and crazy names, but most of the parents knew what they were doing, for better or worse. Most of them. Here, for reference, are some of the most common tall tales of cursed children and the parents who named them:

Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Placenta, etc.: Sounds reasonable, right? Nope.

Oranjello and Lemonjello, the twins: Forget about it. Though Mark Lemongello did pitch for the Astros and Blue Jays in the '70s.

Male and Female--that's "MAH-lay" and "feh-MAHL-ay": The story is that the parents saw the word written on the baby's hospital bracelet and thought the doctor had already chosen a name.

Nosmo King: This one's from a sign in the hospital, get it?

Shithead--that's "shuh-THEED," thank you very much: No way. But don't neglect factual football star Craphonso.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the urban legend names is that they're not true. It's a big country, and you'll find plenty of real people named Robin Banks and Sunny Day.

Next up: Fact names, stranger than fiction

Comments

By Kelly (not verified)
April 4, 2007 4:49 AM

I went to high school with a set of middle eastern twins, one who was named Osama Hussein. Both are fairly common names, but I still felt bad for them. I wonder if there are still people named Adolph or if that name went by the wayside too?

By jen (not verified)
April 27, 2007 4:21 AM

i knew a woman name ample rose also i knew someone name akeelya we where best frinds from 6th grade till 9th grade when i moved from florida to louisiana

By Brad (not verified)
May 9, 2007 3:57 AM

I taught a kid who had the name of Nishit, and it was pronounced just how it looks Ni-shit. We just called him Ni.

By Tim (not verified)
June 12, 2007 8:40 PM

My daughter had a friend with the name Symantha (pronounced Samantha). Seems her parents didn't want her to be called Sam so they tweaked the spelling. Her friends called her Mantha.

By So many errors here (not verified)
July 11, 2007 2:57 AM

The name "Shithead" is *NOT* an urban legend. Check the birth records.

By Anonymous (not verified)
July 23, 2007 5:40 PM

Parenting is a responsibility. I just think that parents should be considerate of their children when choosing names. One may think it's humorous to think of names that are puns or that have a silly sound or meaning, but let us remember that our children are stuck with those names forever. Don't all parents claim to want happiness for their kids and to protect them from any ridicule or teasing? I am engaged to be married to a man with the last name Dinges -- DING-es -- just the way it looks. Although I am used to the idea of changing my name to something that people have and probably will continue to make fun of, I admit it is not one that I would have readily chosen for myself. Furthermore, we would never consider naming our son Harry or Jack. While it is funny to joke about, it would be cruel to actually do.

Anyway, my aunt has a relative named Crystal Spring Waters.

By Brian (not verified)
September 20, 2007 5:28 PM

If you read this far down you will like this one- (I am a terrible speller)

I am a childrens entertainer and I have seen all these names-

Mercedes, Alexis, Porsche.
Brandy, Bailey, Tequilla.
Mango, Bread, Raman (noodles), Caramel, Cinnamon.
Chance, Cummin, Maha Reana (like-macarena).
I wanted so bad to put a name tag on Cummin- "Hi, I'm Cummin"
Not to mention 1000 indian names I could not pronounce- so I called them Joe or Jane.
Last names- Weener- the poor kid didn't want to tell me.
Lets not forget race car driver- Dick Trickle.

By Anon. (not verified)
December 13, 2007 6:08 PM

Sunny Easter Dae.

For real.
Couldn't have thought that up if I tried.

By Frozen Tex (not verified)
January 8, 2008 10:55 PM

How 'bout the NHL player named "Satan" (he says it's pronounced Shahtahhn)?

By Peter (not verified)
January 22, 2008 8:45 PM

Don't know how to search birth names, but the Social Security Death index indicates absolutely no names under either "Lemonjello," "Orangejello," "Shithead," or "Shitthead." Of course, these people probably aren't dead yet, but that public index, at least, leaves us with nothing.

There is an "Ima Hogg" and a "Eura Hogg," who both died in 1975 in Texas, but they were not twins. (on was born in the late 1800s, the other in the 1930s). I don't know what their relation is, but it may be worth checking out as a possible source of the legend.

As for "Lemonjello" and "Orangejello," it seems rather odd that so many people happen to know the twins. If they do exist (and I don't completely disbelieve it), a yearbook or some written record should be pretty easy to come by and prove, once and for all, that they exist, doncha think?

Same with Shithead. Every other nurse I meet (only slightly exaggerating) claims there was a Shithead born in their hospital. And, yet, I see absolutely no evidence of such a thing.

By Anonymous (not verified)
March 27, 2008 3:44 PM

I know a guy named "stan will swallow".
i'm sorry, but i don't think ANY name can stand up to the name "stan will swallow".
his father's name is stan and his brother's name is tristan (neither of their middle names is "will")

By Hippa Hippo (not verified)
July 29, 2008 2:51 AM

Actually, these twins were premature babies at at a Children's Hospital that I worked at. Yes, it is true. They are adults now.

By Phil Osteen (not verified)
September 10, 2008 4:56 AM

I knew a kid when i was a kid named Mcor.... "love" spelled sideways, sorta.

L
O
V
E
now rotate 90 degrees clockwise.
E= M
V= C
O=O
L= R

By Guest (not verified)
November 9, 2008 9:29 PM

I worked for The American Red Cross for 12 years. Amoungst the many strange names we encountered, We REALLy did meet Lemonjello and Oranjello, yes they are African American young men who are twins. As for the name Shithead, (Shi-Thay-de) she exists as well here in Atlanta. She takes her place next to Sandy Beaches, Ms. Formica Dinette, Omar Shareef (yes, I don't think he knew the correct spelling), Inita Fortune (pronounced I need a fortune). Before you call things an urban legend, research a little more.

By Guest (not verified)
June 25, 2009 12:09 PM

Wow, notice almost none of these are "*I* know a person named x" but always "I know someone who said this was true, and happened to them or someone close to them." Just like all urban legends.

By Guest (not verified)
October 12, 2009 1:00 PM

It isn't an urban legand it's very true... There's a Kindergarten teacher here in Cushing, Oklahoma at Sunnyside elementry who named her twin boys Orangello and Limongello. There's even a newspaper article on them in the local paper the "Cushing Daily Citizen" Look it up..

By Guest (not verified)
February 27, 2010 11:12 AM

I can attest personally to the existence of some of the names mentioned here. I had a client named Aquanette, a friend whose clients children were named Lemonjello and Orangejello (that's how they were actually spelled), and that same friend whose clients' granddaughter was named - and no, I'm not making this up - Vagina. I can only hope they were trying for "Virginia," but that's how it showed on the birth certificate. These folks were all from Detroit.

By Guest (not verified)
April 23, 2010 7:19 PM

This was in the state of Georgia, right? I say this because I worked in public health and I know for a fact that Orangejello and Lemonjello are African American boy twins, and Shithead (Poor guy) is there too. Why anyone would be stupid enough to name their children names like that is beyond me.

By AMR71 (not verified)
January 15, 2011 4:18 PM

By my count, 11 people in this thread claim to have known, heard of, or known somebody who knew Lemonjello and Oranjello, but not one person has provided any evidence. Same for Shithead. There's nothing in the publicly available SSA records. Links, or it remains an urban legend.

By j325 (not verified)
February 21, 2011 4:02 PM

My mother went to school with them in Brandon Florida! There was also a girl named Ima Crystal Chandelier.

By j325 (not verified)
February 21, 2011 4:02 PM

I know a couple who named their children River (male) Rayanne (female) pronounced rain, and Snowe (female) pronounced Snow. They have an obsession with water names and plan on naming their next child Lake (male) or Ravine (Girl)

By Nopesorry (not verified)
March 25, 2011 10:01 PM

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but no you didn't. Until the twins themselves make their existence known (and not just people saying they knew them) they are not real.

By Awesome X (not verified)
July 9, 2011 2:28 PM

I am Orangello and my parents named my twin Limongello. People just always called me "O" which I don't mind a bit. We actually didn't get picked on much because of our names. People pick on personality types more than people with odd quirks.

By Rhon (not verified)
August 21, 2011 3:57 AM

Hi Kristin,

I know a Adam Hoar....lol! What school did you attend?

Rhon
r.meulen@yahoo.com

By Ben (not verified)
August 26, 2011 9:58 PM

But you don't have any stories of personally encountering people with these names. It's always someone who knows someone you know. Father's patient's daughter. Family friend's student. Urban legends, bro. I know someone who swore her mom's friend who is a nurse in the NICU came across twins named Oranjello and Lemonjello. Probably not.

By Ben (not verified)
August 26, 2011 10:05 PM

And Miroslav Satan's last name is pronounced sha-TAN.

By Anonymous11 (not verified)
September 5, 2011 5:05 PM

Acura (A- CURE-ah), Crea'Shawn (Creation), Evol (E-Vol = love backwards), Semaj (Sem-ma-j = james backwards), Tavenon (somehow supposed to be pronounced Tavion? Mispelled, I think),Precious, Lovely, Anthony (for a girl!), Tequila (Ta-Qwill-a), & sisters : Ny'asia & Wy' Asia. I work in low income schools & these are just a few of the names I have come across.

By Canada Goose Expedition (not verified)
September 27, 2011 1:49 AM

That is exactly what I am lookng for!You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy to read it.

By Joe Morgan (not verified)
October 3, 2011 6:10 PM

I once worked with someone named Richard Gay (a Brit). I was tempted to call him Dick Gay.

By Gretchen Smallwood (not verified)
November 28, 2011 1:12 AM

My mother taught school for 43 years in Arkansas. During that time she taught a child named Sherry Alewine. As I recall, she was a pretty little girl.

By Luna Nott (not verified)
March 10, 2012 5:51 AM

Coolest name ever:
Steel Bluewater

August 30, 2012 7:08 PM

My name is Alyseca, and I actually do know someone named Lemon.  It's not Lemonjello, JUST Lemon.  It's pronounced LEE mown.  He's italian, but he speaks some English.

Oh, and my name is pronounced Ah lih seh cah, but I go by Aly.

August 27, 2014 5:10 PM

This list doesn't need any more additions, but I just have to throw in that over the years I worked with Harry Bowel and Dick Strong.

January 30, 2018 11:07 PM

after I read your article is very good and useful for me n this year i hope get children

<a href="http://www.idngoal.asia/">agen judi bola</a>

August 4, 2019 10:57 AM

Jaguars: The Jaguars were plagued by four drops, including three on passes from Blake Bortles. Receiver Allen Hurns, running back Bernard Fjallraven Australia Store Pierce and tight end Clay Harbor failed to hold on to balls early, and tight end Nic Jacobs dropped another one late.
"From what I know about the case, this is more an issue of basically mismanagement as opposed to intent to evade taxes," Frush said. "Sam is far from any kind of hands-on businessman when it comes to that type of activity. He's a marketer, a 40,000-foot guy."
"He's there because we feel like he can make plays like that. ... I Cheap Nike Shoes From China think every day you are going to see him doing something better," Smith said. Sac 脿 Cheap Adidas Shoes Dos Kanken 16l "He Cheap Nike Sb Shoes has big play ability."
Cornick is a second-year pro who played in a dozen games for Denver last season, making three starts at right tackle and three as Cheap Air Max 720 China a blocking Vapormax Plus Scontate tight end Miami Dolphins Jersey Cheap down the stretch as the Broncos became more run-oriented.
FANTASY WATCH