Top Five Biggest Baby Name Stories of 2008

Dec 24th 2008

Names are always the story here at the Baby Name Wizard blog.  If you listen closely enough, names are always whispering to us about what's going on in our culture and our world.  But from time to time, they speak loudly enough that the whole public sits up and listens.  Here's a coutdown of the five biggest name stories of the year, and some thoughts on what they really tell us.

5. Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii

The case of a New Zealand girl named Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii made headlines around the globe because of the sheer bizarreness of the name. Look closer at the details, though, and you see a case study of children's rights and the significance that society attaches to names.  "Talula" wasn't a baby; she was a nine-year-old petitioning the court system for redress of the naming misfortune her parents had subjected her to.  The Family Court Judge took the extraordinary action of placing the child in government custody solely for purposes of changing her first name.  The court determined that a name that sparked bullying or created significant social hurdles constituted child abuse.

4. Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper, Trig
I've said about all I can say about the Palin family names, but there's no question they deserve a spot on this list.  They represent a great national coming-out party for a new naming culture that will be shaping what we call one another for generations to come.

3. Happy Birthday, Adolf Hitler
A white-supremacist family in New Jersey was turned away from a supermarket bakery when they requested a customized birthday cake for their son named Adolf Hitler.  The parents expressed shock and dismay, yet they couldn't have been surprised: the same store had been denying their requests for cakes with similar messages for years.  Public outrage flew in all directions, but gradually settled on the abusive nature of giving an innocent baby a name that will provoke conflict and ostracism (see "Talula Does the Hula").  Another angle to ponder: using a child's name as a billboard to generate publicity for a cause.  How long until a parent successfully generates global media coverage by naming a baby "Vote No on Proposition 12"?

2. Bronx Mowgli, Zuma Nesta Rock
Devotees of "wacky" baby names had a bountiful harvest this year, with top media-feeding-frenzy honors going to young Bronx and Zuma.  I've written before that the supposed wackiness of Hollywood names is actually overblown. (Quick, name Jennifer Lopez's kids! Oops, they're not weird enough to remember.)  But the massive attention paid to these names is starting to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Think of it this way: you're a performer, and have spent your life pursuing the spotlight.  You know that you now have an opportunity to give your child instant global fame simply by giving her an unconventional name -- even if you're a B-lister yourself.  Why not give your kid an advantage you would have killed for at the start of your career?

1. Barack Hussein Obama
In the wake of Obama's landslide victory, reporters clamored to report on the wave of new babies sure to be named in his honor.  It's a risky sort of reportage, assuming a phenomenon exists and then searching for examples to confirm it.  Plenty of reporters called me for comment on the huge surge of little Baracks...then asked me if I could find one for them.  The Rocky Mountain News managed to find a single child given the middle name Barack and ran a full feature, only to discover that the father in question made the whole thing up.  ("I'm so sorry," the mother said. "My husband's an idiot.")

Yet a president-elect named Barack Obama really is a huge naming story, even if he never inspires a single namesake.  A president with a non-European name is as unprecedented as a president with non-white skin.  The name breaks the mold in a way that speaks profoundly to the many Americans with foreign or unusual names.

Happy New Year, Baby Name Nation!

Comments

By Kristin (not verified)
December 24, 2008 12:14 PM

Ugh, the reporters looking for a surge of baby Baracks to prove their stories true just irritates me. I had a similar situation with the Wall Street Journal of all places. They were trying to do a story on one thing, we didn't really fit, but they wedged us in anyway, and our story ended up being told totally out of context. I blogged about it and heard from others in the story who'd also been misrepresented.

Sorry, that was kinda OT, but as a journalist myself, it really infuriates me when this happens. Gives us all a bad name!

December 24, 2008 1:02 PM

Bubamara: go to http://youcantcallitit.com/ There is huge list of Christmas. There is every size shape and caliber so to speak. :)

December 24, 2008 1:42 PM

My fellow NE's: my friend is adopting a little boy full of laughter and joy. They want a name that means laughter, joy or equally appropriate. Any ideas?

They are considering Kaemon. It is japanese and means joyful but are worried about having to spell it umpteen times a year. ??

December 24, 2008 1:49 PM

I have a feeling I may be a bit behind on reading posts for the next few weeks! ;)

But... had to stop by and to let you guys know that we welcomed Sienna Noe11e to the world on Dec. 19th! (A few days earlier than the Christmas due date.) Thanks to everyone who helped me and dh decide on the name!

December 24, 2008 2:37 PM

Danielle -- Congratulations! Sienna Noe11e is a lovely name, and I hope you enjoy the holidays with your new baby.

Jessica -- I looked on BehindTheName.com for boys' names that have joy, laughter, or happiness in the meaning. Here are some of the suggestions:

Anand
Ayo
Gil
Harshad
Jyrgal
Liron
Onni
Osher
Ronen
Winston
Zorion

Many of these are nms, but maybe they will resonate with your friends.

By Judy M. (not verified)
December 24, 2008 2:40 PM

"Isaac" derives from the Hebrew name Yitzchak, which comes from the root meaning "laughter" and is given in the biblical story in which Sarah laughs when told she will bear a son in her old age.

By Birgitte (not verified)
December 24, 2008 2:50 PM

Yeah, I was just going to suggest Isaac. It was on my top list for my baby boy.

BTW, we tried the different nicknames suggested here but I felt too self-conscious about them (not used to nn in Norway) and we seem to have settled on Frankie, much to hubby's dismay as he knew a little Frankie who peed in the lemonade and then sold it to people. *Insert rolleyes*

I am a bit conservative and don't care too much for the Palin names, especially Trig which is supposed to be a Norse name but in that case it should have been spelled Trygg (meaning safe).

Having a foreign name in the US is not a lot of fun so hopefully this new president will make it easier for me.

December 24, 2008 3:27 PM

Jessica: Is it a domestic or international adoption? What is the background of the child and the family? The thing that worries me about Kaemon is that I imagine it being pronounced something like Cayman to go with current trends, which I am pretty sure is not the Japanese pronunciation. I'm not like obsessed with authenticity, but I think if they Anglicize the pronunciation, they should be up-front about it. You know, don't claim that it's Japanese name; acknowledge that we adapted it for our purposes.

By Melissa C (not verified)
December 24, 2008 4:49 PM

I was also going to suggest Isaac. Tate is a nice boy's name that means Cheerful and happy.

By ajaz
December 24, 2008 5:12 PM

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but while on Facebook, I came across this group:

It's a group of people complaining about their unusual names, and having to constantly spell them for others.

December 24, 2008 6:00 PM

It is domestic. White as bread for all involved. The pronunciation thought to be correct is kay-mon.

"...but who in the world has heard of Kaemon...?" is a direct quote from the mom. She is worried about it. They would use Isaac as a mn in this case. I suggested using Isaac and the mn being in honor of her dad - which was also an option.

By not quite a Jamie (not verified)
December 24, 2008 6:14 PM

I've always thought that the hype over the names of the Palin kids was overblown. Sure, they might seem daunting as a unit, but if you look at the names individually they're not so bad.

I don't think anyone would have any objections to a family with just one daughter named Willow, or even two girls named Willow and Piper. Piper in particular is a name that's been hovering in the wings of "unique but not too out there" these past few years. Though perhaps in the case of a Willow-Piper sibling set, were the girls young enough, I'd be suspicious that the parents were fans of supernatural-themed WB shows Charmed and Buffy!

Even the sons' names seem to have a sort of retro charm to me. I remember reading a few books in my childhood about a spunky young girl in the 1930s called Trig - guess it's unisex! I don't remember if it was a nickname or short for something (another series by the same author was about a boy called "Soup", but his real name was Luther), but like it or not the name is filed away in my brain. And Track somehow just reminds me of rugged serial heroes like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. I could easily imagine reading a comic or tuning into a radio show about the adventures of a Track Wilson or a Track Adams, why not a Track Palin?

For me, the name that really manages to stand out in this eclectic bunch is Bristol. Unusual at first glance, but a solid Old English name. A bit masculine, sure, a rather tomboyish choice... but the effect is softened by the fact that the only thing it reminds me of is art supplies!

First time poster; sorry if my built-up opinions come out a little long-winded! Anyway, you can take my opinions with a grain of salt - I'm of Filipino descent, and for us, happily nestled between Spanish Catholic-flavored names like Joachim and Terecita are names like Heart and Denver and Princess. I didn't see the fuss over that celebrity who named her baby Apple a while back either - there's already quite a few Apples in the Philippines, and they're probably doing just fine.

By NAR (not verified)
December 24, 2008 6:57 PM

Our three-year-old is Isaac, and we really liked the "he will laugh" meaning. I'm expecting a girl now, but if it had been a boy I liked Felix, for "happy."

A million thanks to everyone who weighed in on Alice on the last thread, by the way. You guys rock. My husband LOVES the name Laurel, and I don't dislike it, so chances are good we'll end up with that. He thinks Alice is too urban intellectual. Which we are, but oh well.

By Miss Muffet (not verified)
December 25, 2008 5:23 AM

NAR:

If you liked the male Felix, have you or the hubby ever considered Felicity? It has the "happy" meaning and is vintage-y and sweet.

I think it sounds lovely with brother Isaac.
Just a thought. Laurel is nice too, but you don't sound exactly thrilled w/it.

Congrats on the pregnancy!

By Guest (not verified)
December 25, 2008 12:37 PM

Why not Joyeux?
A.

December 25, 2008 12:39 PM

NAR - love that label urban intellectual. Where can I sign up?? Any more examples of baby urban intellectual names?

December 25, 2008 5:13 PM

Jessica:
The Finnish boy's name Onni means both happiness/joy and good fortune. Pronounced ON-nee
(and now I see it was in a longer list, oh well, here's more detail.)

December 25, 2008 8:31 PM

Danielle-Sienna N03lle is beautiful!

Jessica-Ellery is listed on one site as being a variant spelling for the unisex name Hilary and means "joyful, happy". It seems a lot more mainstream than some other listed choices, especially if the family is as you said "very white bread".

December 25, 2008 8:36 PM

Christmas babies born locally:Dec 22 and on..
Hope, Messiah, Nevaeh I believe all girls.

By Penny in Australia (not verified)
December 26, 2008 12:59 AM

baby boy born to Australian parents of European descent (I think Italian) - acquaintances of my husband:

Natale Ray, born on Christmas Eve

By kristi (not verified)
December 26, 2008 1:01 AM

My daughter just received news of baby Darian Barack Aure1iano LastName born to someone in her community.

December 26, 2008 2:43 AM

Is it just me or has the loading time for the site really increased? I have broadband Internet, yet the page still lags when I scroll. Also, all of a sudden, I can't read this blog on my Blackberry. It says the page is too large to load (or something like that). :(

By Nina
December 26, 2008 3:18 AM

"Hope, Messiah, Nevaeh" That is just terrible, especially Messiah (putting some pressure on that child) and Nevaeh (faled attempt at being creative).

By EssBee (not verified)
December 26, 2008 3:53 AM

Yeah, something is definitely wrong with the site. Horrible scrolling time. Ugh!

As for Alice, I tend to thing of
1) the diner waitress of the early 80s TV sitcom "Alice"
2) a Chinese-American friend of mine
3) a friend of mine from the heart of Appalachia

none of these even come close to your stereotype of "urban intellectual," but hmmmm...maybe my perception is way off.

By Guest (not verified)
December 26, 2008 4:37 AM

Kay-mon is an incorrect pronunciation in Japanese as in many other languages the vowels always have different sounds so it would be more like ka-eh-mon, so it would be an westernised pronunciation of the name if they chose the kay-mon pronunciation.

By Louise (not verified)
December 26, 2008 7:57 AM

Hi All, hope you had a wonderful Christmas...

Danielle, congratulations!

Jessica, has anyone suggested Asher?

I am back, once again with a request for your insights and opinions! As I have stated on previous threads, dh and I are having great difficulty with girls names for our baby ? due March/April but possibly earlier depending on how things go. If it is a boy the name is likely to be E1i Benjamin. The girls list looks something like this...

Elian/e (hanging in there)
Abigail
Sarah
Eliana
Malia

We had crossed Charlotte and Allegra off the list with much sadness as they are middle names of our nieces.

However, we REALLY like them, particularly Allegra (in Oz it is relatively under the radar with no medication connotations!)

My questions is: How close is too close? Can we use the name as a first name when it is the middle name of our 3yr old niece? I guess I am most concerned about people's reactions-and being deemed unoriginal! Do I need to OK it with my sister-in-law? Am I a name-napper?

Thoughts?

By Penny in Australia (not verified)
December 26, 2008 9:13 AM

Louise - I love, love, LOVE Allegra too. I personally wouldn't be concerned at having a name too close to a cousin's, especially a cousin's middle name. I'd definitely mention it to the family concerned first (and really, what are they going to say? no?) just as a courtesy.

And you could always say "I've always loved this name and your adorable little one just makes me love it more!" which is probably partly true - chances are if the Allegra involved was a little brat you would have been put off the name!

December 26, 2008 9:41 AM

My sister-in-law were due on the same day. She had twins, born one month earlier than my son. One of her daughter's middle names is Anna, which would have been the first name of our child had he been a girl. It would have bothered me had Peter been a girl, but I would have done it anyway. We had an excuse, however, in that neither of us knew the gender of the babies, so that we had chosen the names independently of one another and well in advance of the births.

December 26, 2008 11:26 AM

I'd just run the idea past your sister-in-law if I were you...can't see why she would mind though.

December 26, 2008 11:53 AM

I think I would be flattered if my SIL gave their child my child's middle name. I think people tend to be less possessive about middle names.

BTW my cousin in Hong Kong has an Allegra that is about 1 yo I think.

By Anne with an E (not verified)
December 26, 2008 12:13 PM

Louise--the name Elian brings to mind 'Elian Gonzalez' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli%C3%A1n_Gonz%C3%A1lez) But I feel like probably only a few Cubans and a few Americans even remember that story. Anyway, the point is that I think Elian sounds masculine, but I love Eliana, I think it's beautiful.

zoerhenne: Messiah? Eek!

Re: the man making up the "Barack Obama" middle name...I love that he also pretended that his daughter Brooke had the mn "Trout" and that his older son's mn was "John Elway". I guess if you're gonna make up one name you might as well make up a bunch?

Re: the whole Edward conversation on the last thread: I am saddened by the fact that my last name is Howard. I LOVE Edward, I LOVE the nn Ted, and my grandfather is named Edward, so it'd be a nice tribute, but Edward Howard is just silly.

By Anne with an E (not verified)
December 26, 2008 1:11 PM

Some sibling lists I came across...they're all 10 or younger, but I don't know exact ages.

Peter, Jane
Amy, Kate
D.J., Christopher
Jodi, Jeri
Hannah, Ellie, Tom
Ashley, Brittany

December 26, 2008 3:12 PM

Louise -- I agree that running the names by your family members is the courteous thing to do, but I also agree it's unlikely anyone would be bothered by you choosing as a fn something they'd chosen as a mn. And I bet the cousins would love the connection as they grew older. I personally think Allegra is a wonderful name, and I was saddened when it was snapped up by a pharmaceutical company in the US. How great that you can use it in Australia with no worries that someone will think you were inspired by your allergy meds!

By Melissa C (not verified)
December 26, 2008 3:44 PM

Louise:

Also love Allegra.. I think if you love it you should use it. I think its safe to use if its a family members middle name... unless of course the person goes by that name. I honestly wouldn't be offended if a friend/family member used my daughter's middle name... we never call her by that.

Also like Eliana.. not sure how popular it is where you live but it seems big around here... and especially the nick name Ellie... although both are very cute.

By Penelope (not verified)
December 26, 2008 4:14 PM

Allegra.

I just wanted to echo what the other folks here are saying. I think we tend to worry too much about middle names. The truth is that very few of us *use* our middle names very often. I don't know the middle name of some of my friends and some of my relatives. I was surprised when I learned that my aunt that I've known all my life doesn't have a middle name. How did I never know that? Because we don't talk about them often.

That being said, I think Allegra is a wonderful perfect baby name. It isn't common and it's beautiful and it has a wonderful meaning. What a great idea! I agree that you could discuss this with your brother and sister in law first. Just in case they feel a sense of ownership about the name. But, this is a great way to make Allegra a family name as well!

Happy Holidays all!
P

By Miss Muffet (not verified)
December 26, 2008 4:24 PM

Louise:
I had a roomate in college who was named Allegra. Her parents were devotees of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poetry. In the verse from Children's Hour... Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra, And Edith with golden hair... he speaks of his daughters, and the joy he takes in their company at the days end. She always loved having that as a name sake.

I would of course ask your SIL if she would be upset if you used Allegra...but if you look up the poem and like it, you could always add that not only do you love your niece's MN, but also admired the moniker from Longfellow's Children's Hour. How could she deny that???

December 26, 2008 5:37 PM

Hi all! I've been reading posts for a little while but haven't posted. I am 20 weeks pregnant with a boy and was hoping for some suggestions.

First, both my kids have family modified names and I want to continue that with this one, using my father's name (and his father's as well) in some way: Donald. But I don't want to name him Donald. I was thinking something with "don" in it somewhere.

I'd like the name to be easy to pronounce and spell, but not be common or traditional.

My father's last name (and mine as I didn't change it when I got married) is Scottish, a Mc* name. I'd be ok having Mac as part of the name (but no McDonald jokes, please, as I've already gotten those from everyone, including my husband and my mother).

Current kids are Talia and Trip (Trip is a nn, he's Robert Edward III).

Some ideas I have:

Aldon/Alddon (rearranged "Donald")
Donovan
Kesdon
Keedon
Keldon
Doan (Don with an extra letter)
Eldon
Macordon
Macaldon (combo of Mac and Aldon)
Odon
Maddon

and for some odd reason:

Tuck (could be short for Tucker) - yet there is no family connection and I'm a bit weary of Talia, Trip, and Tuck - 3 T's in the family doesn't sit right for me. My husband doesn't see a problem.

I do have to say I like Aldon a lot, yet my name is Allison, and that is very similar to my name, and the nn, Al, is something I go by a lot at home. The reason Trip isn't Bobby is because I didn't want that confusion with my husband, Bob (Bobby to his family). My husband doesn't see a problem with it at all.

Also, all these names end in "n" and I'm aware of the trends in N names for boys. I want to avoid trends (especially the Aiden/Brayden/Cayden trend). Are my names fitting into this pattern?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

By Eo (not verified)
December 26, 2008 6:37 PM

Christmas and Hanukkah greetings-- hope yours was lovely...

1 Uppy Ear-- Of your list, I like your suggestion "Donovan" quite a bit. It's dashing, has that same Scottish-Irish origin that your father's name has. So would make a nice tribute to him.

I'm afraid I'm not drawn to your other possiblities, as they seem a little on the "ad hoc" side to me. But that's just me.

Have you considered the handsome saint's name "Dominic/Dominick"? Forties actor Don Ameche used the nickname Don but was actually Dominic Amici.

Another great possibility, "Dunstan". English place name meaning "stony hill". Is also the name of an early Archbishop of Canterbury, so has a distinguished history. (Can you tell I'm partial to traditional names...)

By Miss Muffet (not verified)
December 26, 2008 6:40 PM

1 Uppy Ear:

1) I don't think your names are in the style of Aiden/Brayden/etc., especially with siblings Talia & Trip.

2) Although I agree w/your 3 T's comment, you may want to continue so the baby feels like he fits w/his brother & sister. I nanny 3 boys, Jonah (6), Liam (4), & Noah (1). Liam has already asked why his name is not biblical (lots of whales & arks in the play room) or ends with the "ah" sound. Just a thought.

3) I'm an Allyson, so I understand the Al nickname. Why not Don/Donny/Donno for little Aldon? I worked for a Donno once, short for Donovan.

4) My faves from your list are:
Aldon
Donovan

5) Other suggestions:
Donato
Donell
Dontae
Holdon (Too close to HOLD ON? Pronounced like Holden Caufield)
Gordon
Simdon
Tildon
Weldon (My Great Uncle's name)

Good luck and have fun!!

December 26, 2008 7:25 PM

Eo - Yeah, I think Donovan is high on my list. I like it. Just not real sure. Not interested in Dominic at all - a friend is Dominic and I think one if his kids is as well, plus in that same group of friends there is also a Donny. Dunstan is very interesting...I'll add it to the list and see how it goes. Our process is like this: make a list, read it outloud and every time we do we see how different names feel to us. As we decide against one, we cross it out. Eventually we find one we like :-)

Miss Muffett - I don't want my #3 to feel left out without a T name, yet if he *is* a T, then will Trip feel like he's the one left out (his given name is Robert)? Not sure there's a wining position here ;-) I'm considering it - I think my husband likes the idea of 3 Ts or at least isn't opposed to it. About the "Don*" nickname - I don't like Don/Donny/etc. or I'd name him Donald. I guess we could nn him Aldo, or even just name him Aldo. Hm.

I like Holdon! Not one I had thought of. (Thought of Hardon, but very soon realized Hard On wasn't a good name for a boy.) I like Tildon, too. I'll add both to my list. Weldon I like a lot, but my best friend dated a guy for a long time (thought they would get married) with that last name, so I've avoided adding it to the list. I may do so, though, at least to have it for consideration.

This is so very helpful! Thanks and I look forward to more ideas and suggestions.

December 26, 2008 8:13 PM

Louise-I like Allegra too. I think I mentioned that the last go around. Don't care for Malia as it seems soon to be trendy/date-stamped. My next choices are in order Sarah, Abigail, Eliana. Not sure about the borrowing of a middle name.
I am sad to see Charlotte off the list :(

Tirzah-Yes, I am not so fond of the lag time currently being experienced on this website.

Messiah-yes a lot to live up to. No offense to those with "ethnic" backgrounds, but she is not white.

Uppy Ear-I like the T connection with Tucker it is cute. I also Donovan for the same reasons as
Eo. The first thing that came to mind for me though was Caydon. Don't know why it just did. I do agree though that you might want to be cautious of stepping into the realm of Aidon/Braydon/etc.
Some other suggestions:
Raymond; Duncan; Dillon; Brendon; Odin; Trent; Tobin; Declan; Trevin; Gordon; Jordon; Langdon
Good luck!

December 26, 2008 8:27 PM

zoerhenne - Tucker seems to sing to me - I like it as much as I hear it. Doesn't pay homage to my dad, though. I could put my dad's reference into the middle name - since my husband had 100% naming rights for Trip's given name, I might be able to swing more of my family to this one. Of your suggestions: I do like Duncan, and it's similar to Miss Muffett's Dunstan. Dillon is my nephew, so that's out. Brendon, Odin, and Langdon all sound great and I'll add them to my list. Langdon reminds me of Langston (Hughes), one of my favorite poets. I've thought of Gordon but never added it, don't know why. I will, though, and see what comes of it.

I think I make the naming process difficult, but it's so important to me! It is fun, though! I have the lists I made for Talia and Trip before we came up with their names, and it's fun to watch the progression of names and see how it actually turned out.

By NAR (not verified)
December 26, 2008 9:49 PM

@ Keren

Specifically my husband thought my suggestion of Alice Dorothe@ was too "urban intellectual."

As far as other examples, I'd say many of the "hipster" baby names apply:

December 26, 2008 11:26 PM

Uppy Ear-Glad you liked some of my suggestions but if they don't work out for you no problem. I know exactly what you mean with your lists. Since I am not having anymore, I do the same thing vicariously through my offers to others.
I like Brendon Tucker and Tucker Donovan! Any other thoughts for the middle name?

By Penny in Australia (not verified)
December 27, 2008 4:05 AM

Here's a beauty!

Peruvian woman Virgen Maria Huarcaya (Virgin Mary) gave birth to Jesus Emanuel, in the early hours of Christmas. And little Jesus' dad is a carpenter. Originally they wanted to name him after a soccer player!

December 27, 2008 10:31 AM

LOL!
Celebrity recap from OMG off of Yahoo!

December 27, 2008 2:44 PM

What struck me about that list of celebrity births is how few of the new babies have off the wall names. Most of the names are more or less traditional and suited to the family and religious backgrounds of the parents. A few are trendy "new" names which have been chosen by many other parents (Braydon, for example), and just a handful are out there (e.g., Bronx Mowgli).

December 27, 2008 3:21 PM

Anne with an E-thanks for the list of siblings- I always enjoy seeing those.

December 27, 2008 6:38 PM

OT--When I was younger, my sister and I would always change the names of our Cabbage Patch Kids because they were "too fancy" (Octavia, Augusta, Alexandra). Over the years my naming tastes have changed a lot. So when my 3 yo got a CPK on Thursday I was interested to see the name. Tonia Fay I guess naming tastes change in the cabbage patch, too.

By Miss Muffet (not verified)
December 27, 2008 9:06 PM

c.Elizabeth:
I always re-named my CPK's too. My two girls went from Virginia and Evelyn to Samantha Ashley and Lauren Kay (I was a NE back then). My boy, David (MN Joey, after my favorite member of New Kids On The Block), kept his FN, but was referred to as Davey.
Sooo funny. I wouldn't have rememberd the originals, execpt that my mom kept their papers, and eventually the dolls themselves, for my future kids. I just fished them out. Good lord...they have faces only a mother could love...but I sure did!
It's kind of sad the "fancy" names are gone, although the new ones may be considered old fashioned to the next generation.

Good memories...thanks!