Authentic Ethnic Names, Baked Fresh Every Day!

Aug 13th 2009

Does your family have Scandinavian roots?  Would you like to honor that tradition with your daughter's name?  Here's a great choice to consider:

Ronja/Ronia

Ronja is a literary name, the heroine of a novel by a revered Swedish author.  The book and name are both well-known and well-loved throughout Scandinavia; the name is a current top-100 hit in most of the region.  Ronja is the local spelling, Ronia the standard English equivalent.

That's a rock-solid ethnic name, right?  A name distinctive to Scandinavia, with meaningful cultural/literary origins.  Now: does it matter when that literary origin took place?

The book in question is Ronja Rövardotter (Ronia the Robber's Daughter) by children's writer Astrid Lindgren, author of the Pippi Longstocking books.  (Regular readers may recognize this book as the source of another name I described recently, Birk.) Ronja was published in 1981, and a 1984 film version was a huge regional hit.  So the name is the product of one woman's imagination, less than 30 years ago. Doesn't that make it a modern, invented name instead of an authentically ethnic one?

Perhaps the answer is that it's both, modern and "authentic."  After all, the name Wendy was created by J.M.Barrie in Peter Pan. Vanessa was dreamed up by Jonathan Swift for Cadenus and Vanessa.  Great authors enrich their cultures with names as well as ideas, and that's every bit as authentic a process today as in centuries past.

If you look closely, you can see contemporary, authentic names being created all the time. For example, saoirse is the Gaelic word for freedom.  Patriotic Irish parents started using the word as a name in the 20th Century, and it's today it's the 29th most popular girl's name in Ireland.  It's not a traditional given name, but a truly and purely Irish one.

Does it mean anything, then, to talk about "real" or "authentic" names from a particular culture if new authentic names can be created every day?  I think it does mean something.  It means...that it means something.  That the name has cultural meaning and resonance beyond an individual family's choice.  A beloved book by a local literary icon or a term from a cherished linguistic heritage is an emblem of shared meaning, part of an ethnic identity that binds a people together.

In contrast, a baby name invented by one family is about individual rather than collective meaning.  Even if that name grows into broader popularity, it doesn't have the same hold on a culture's shared sense of self and community...for a while, at least.  Individual inventions have to prove themselves.  If an unrooted name manages to stick around long enough, it can create its own roots in the culture in the form of the generations of people who live their lives with that name.  Eventually, its origins may cease to matter.  After all, how many of us hear Vanessa today and think Jonathan Swift, or hear Cheryl and think "creative made-up name?"

Comments

By Valentine (not verified)
August 19, 2009 8:01 PM

Okay, before visiting the above listed babycenter.com website, I promised myself I would not come back here and make snarky comments about someone's baby name. A few names raised some eyebrows, sure, and several gave me smirks. But OMG, I MUST break the promised I made to myself....

Phurie Anne (Fury Anne) Danielle

Really? Like "Fury" as in "furious"? At first glance, I thought it was Furry!

And this will appear off topic for a second, but, I noticed a few episodes ago on Big Brother 11 (my neighbor somehow got me sucked into this ridiculous show)...anyway, a girl on there is named "Chima" (SHEE-ma). A couple episodes ago they interviewed her grandmother who said that Chima's name is Nigerian and is actually supposed to be pronounced "CHEE ma" like the Ch- in "chair." Grandma reported that Chima took it upon herself to invent a pronunciation she preferred. I just found that interesting. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that if my child decided to pronounce his name differently than I intended.....but it kind of begs the question---How much control over our own names do we have????

So now I'm back at Phurie. How much control will she have ultimately over her name? Maybe she'll drop the "Phurie" and just go by Anne.

My own name is Lee Ann which I don't care for. I feel it's dated, stamped 60s, 70s, or hillbilly. Or all of the above. Plus, it can be spelled a dozen ways legitimately and I get tired of spelling it to people.....The only thing I like about "Lee Ann" is that I've only met a small handful of others with the same name.

I would LOVE to just announce one day that, at age 32, I've decided to go by "Lee Lee" or "Ann," but at THIS POINT in my life it would be weird, like I'm a teenager going through an identity crisis. Actually in second grade I tried to start going by either of the above two names when I moved from the city to a coastal town....but my parents were vehemently against it and forbid me autonomy over my own name.

Thoughts on this topic?

By Valentine (not verified)
August 19, 2009 8:01 PM

PS, the topic being Name Autonomy.

By meppie (not verified)
August 19, 2009 8:16 PM

KristinFromSC - Thanks for the post. I only got three pages into it and there's so much to comment on I don't know where to start!

One of the names from the thread that I found most interesting was "Jakub." NMS, as you might well imagine, but the pure look of the name is pretty neat. It makes me want to pronounce it Ya-kub and let it roll around on my tongue for awhile. It's got a cool Mennonite or Amish vibe about it, though I doubt the parents would agree with me.

I bet the parents really like the name Jacob, but know that it's popular and see Jakub as a way for their child to distinguish himself from the crowd.

***

The first poster is naming her son Halen. Hadn't heard that one before. After Van Halen, perhaps?

***

The second poster is naming her little girl either Eliza, Amelia, or Lucy. With just that information, you'd think her son's name would be William, Oliver, or Max. But it's not. It's Jaron. That's an interesting sibset.

August 19, 2009 8:22 PM

Many interesting names on that board-I'll leave it at that. Also noted though, the many posters that will use Rose or Grace as a mn for a girl and also all the -on names for boys (Jalon, Maxton, etc.) The best thing that I saw was this following post I copied. I love back-stories!

"Olivia Minette (Pronounced Min-ay - meaning Loyal Defender) And Olivia is kind of a joke between her father and me (a sweet joke).

When we'd been dating a few months, we weren't really ready to say 'I love you', but we were both having feelings... and in an effort to make light of it and still let the other person be aware of our affection, we used to say 'Olive Juice' to one another... Because when you say 'Olive Juice' it LOOKS like you're saying 'I love you'. We thought it was a cute and funny way to commemorate those early months of admiration we had... and what came of it, our baby girl."

WHAT A GREAT STORY!

By meppie (not verified)
August 19, 2009 8:30 PM

Louise,

I'm totally into Germanic/Scandanavian names right now. With all the soft vowel sounds out there (Bella, Ella, Ava, Emily, Molly, Sophia, Stella, etc.) hard consonants are so fresh.

I once knew a girl named Inze (pronounced In-za). I don't know the story behind the name but it always struck me as an interesting variant of Inge.

Regarding name autonomy, it seems we more readily accept a change to a surname than a given name. Afterall, surnames come and go with marriage, divorce, hyphens and the like. But to change a GIVEN name may be seen as an insult to the parents or someone with an identity crisis.

My first name is Marcie. NMS, totally dated, and unlikely to reappear as a name anytime in the next several generations, if at all. Yet, it's mine and it's me. I could only imagine changing my first name if there was a severe disconnect between my image of myself and my name.

The only good example I can think of right now is from the Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue." There's a case where very few could blame a person for wanting to change his name.

August 19, 2009 8:40 PM

Louise: I love Signe. I also knew a little girl a number of years ago (a friend of the girl I nannied for) named Sigrid. She was really cute so it's always stuck in my head as a cute name.

By Alr (not verified)
August 19, 2009 8:52 PM

I need baby name help!

I posted a while back regarding the name Mabel. We're due the first week in November and this is our #1 name for a girl. I've been stuck on a middle name for quite some time and have the choices narrowed down to three:

Amelia, Parker or Kathryn

I have always loved the name Amelia. It just makes me smile from ear to ear. Kathryn and Parker are both family names of people we'd love to honor.

So here's my dilemma... our other top names for girls are Violet and Cecilia. We hope to have 4 children (and we likely will as plan to adopt as well), so there is a chance we'd wind up with a Mabel, a Violet AND a Cecilia. I know it's not necessarily likely and it's a long ways off... but should our desire to have 'Cecilia' on the future baby name list mean that I should take 'Amelia' off of my middle name list for Mabel? I'm not a fan of cutesy matching names... although one would be middle.... hmmm.

I hope this made sense, I know it's a bit confusing... and neurotic. I figured if anyone would understand my need to "over think" this, it would be you guys. :)

By sarah smile (not verified)
August 19, 2009 8:59 PM

Kim in Philly, I do think that Zion has a political subtext that I would be a bit cautious of. Zion is a historical name for the region of the Middle East that is now Israel. When Jewish settlers first started moving/returning to the area early in the 1900s, those who advocated for that return, and for the eventual formation of a Jewish state there were called Zionists, and the movement was called Zionism. This was somewhat controversial not only to those who were already living in the area, but to many westerners and some branches of Judaism. The term also got used by some smaller subsets of the larger movements, including the socialists who formed many of the kibbutzim, and some of the more right-wing militant groups.

Now that the state of Israel exists, you hear the term somewhat less, and it is probably a bit less politically charged, especially if you live in an area where Middle Eastern politics are not often discussed. But it is used in many Jewish prayers and songs (traditional religious as well as modern Israeli), and it would certainly be hard for me to separate the name from the history. And if the child was to ever travel to the Middle East, or even to areas in this country with large Middle Eastern populations, I think it would be a bit of a burden.

I actually think there are some parallels here to Saoirse, which we've been discussing so much recently. It is a beautiful name, with other lovely connections, but I think it is just too soon to separate it from a very messy political situation which left wounds on both sides.

August 19, 2009 10:24 PM

Kim in philly-My connection to Zion is as the National park in Utah. I would not consider this as a viable name even though my connection is strong (its where I fell in love with DH speaking of stories). Mostly its nms. But if it means something to you and sarah smile's comments do not sway you then I would say use it-I have seen it used in this area but I am not sure of the ethnicity of the child.

Alr-Of your combos I would suggest the following:
Mabel Kathryn
Mabel Cecilia
Mabel Olivia (i just like it)
Violet Amelia
Cecilia Parker
Cecilia Kathryn
Cecilia Violet
I don't think Mabel Amelia flows well. I also don't think a FN Amelia and Cecelia MN is a problem. Plus by the time you get to #4 there may be other names you REALLY like!

By Amy3, not logged in (not verified)
August 19, 2009 10:37 PM

Just finished all 21 pages (for now) of the Babycenter post. My fave is Maver!ck Gene. As in, "We've isolated the maver!ck gene." I was surprised how many Brooklyns (various spellings) there were, and also the many times the same name would appear in neighboring comments (e.g. Emersyn immediately followed by Emmerson).

Alr--I agree that Amelia as a mn and Cecelia as a fn are distant enough not to seem overly matchy. I prefer Mabel Kathryn followed by Mabel Parker. I *love* Mabel and am thrilled to see someone using it!

By Amy3, not logged in (not verified)
August 19, 2009 10:38 PM

Sorry, should have been Cecilia.

August 19, 2009 11:23 PM

KD: In families I know where one child has one of the names of one of your sons, others are Max, Anson, Tr3ves.

Kim in Philly: I think we've discussed Zion a bit before. I know that Lauryn Hill's son is named Zion.

August 19, 2009 11:43 PM

Jenny Leigh/Anna - John to Jack goes something along the lines of John, Jankin, Jakin, Jack. Basically the k comes out of the use of 'kin' as a diminutive suffix. I think this might be the link you mean: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/advice/nickhistory.html

Anna - Nicely articulated on #223

Alr - I really like Mabel Kathryn or Mabel Parker. I don't typically like surname names, but I just love the sound of Parker here. I don't like Amelia with Mabel, but then, I don't like Amelia itself. (Ooh, I just realized that names are gender neutral..)

Louise - I like Signe. I think there are likely a bunch of names that start with Inge too (Ingeborg, Ingegard), so I would like the idea of having a long name and using Inge if there was one you liked. Other names: Cilla, Ingrid, Henna, Kielo, Lilja, Maren, Linnea, Sumarlina, Sunniva, Tessan, or my favorite - Tove! (I also like, in a storybook sort of way, Pipaluk nn Pipa or Lucky :)

Meppie - I was mulling over Marcie the other day actually, thinking it might soon sound along the lines of Wendy, Winnie, etc. Just wait!

By KD (not verified)
August 20, 2009 12:52 AM

Louise - Another vote for Signe. But I must tell you of these sister names, both friends of mine w/that heritage: Anika & Kiasa. I love both names completely.

Alr - Kathryn is my favorite mn paired with Mabel. Strong & sweet, I think.

By Telle (not verified)
August 20, 2009 1:10 AM

Alr--I have to tell you how thrilled I am to see you considering the name Mabel Kathryn. It's my grandmother's name, and I think it's beautiful. (Kathryn is also my mom's name and my mn.) We knew we were having a boy, or else Mabel Kathryn would have been high on our list. So, I'll be jealous of your having a chance to use it!!

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
August 20, 2009 3:10 AM

Hi All-I have been missing for a bit-but I reappear with name angst. My perfect d-i-l is due August 31st and is still working 15 hours a day- on her feet! I just got a note saying she is reading the baby name book with desperation..My son is working 18 hours a day and is all over the place -namewise. Gideon, Barnaby, Henry,Phinnaeus, Rocco, Crispin are within the kaleidoscope of names considered. Last name starts with F and ends in A is Italian-2 syllables. I amuse them(I hope!) by sending a name of the day.. Enrico(to offset popularity of Henry) was an inspiration a few days ago. I am pretty sure it is dead in the water. ;)... My son's name is G@briel..Today's thought was Gideon Hugo LYdon Fr...a. D-I-L's maiden name is the LY name.Does anyone have an inspiration for me to pass on? BTW, LYdon is off the table as a first name. My wondrous granddaughter is Marin Clementine...is Gideon too matchy with the "n" ending? I kind of like that Gideon is an echo of Gabriel-without being a junior.HELP! Their last baby was nameless until the hospital authorities insisted on something or they would keep the baby, I guess.. My granddaughter has told me she wants to name the baby, "Boy" .. Her wish may come true...Suggestions??

By Anna (not verified)
August 20, 2009 3:27 AM

Bianca - thanks for the link. That was very interesting to read!

Louise - Signe [See-neh] is OK but I'm guessing a lot of people won't know what to do with the 'g' in the middle. Inge is not really my style, it seems to bland compared to Ingrid and Ingeborg.

You can use these sites (top 50 and official statistics) for inspiration:
Denmark: http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/NamesPop.aspx
girl/boy names = pigenavne/drengenavne

Norway: http://www.ssb.no/emner/00/navn/
girl/boy names = jentenavn/guttenavn

Sweden: http://www.alltforforaldrar.se/kul/namntoppen/
girl/boy names = flicknamn/pojknamn

Valentine - a name is like a gift, once given it is no longer yours. This means, for all practical purposes, that adult children can do whatever they want with their name. It doesn't mean you can't take your parents' opinion into consideration but ultimately it's your name.

August 20, 2009 6:40 AM

Hmmm, Tess of those I think I like Gideon and Crispin the best. From memory was Theodore out for some reason? Because I would like that otherwise for them. Other suggestions: Llewellyn, Caspian, August, Alasdair, Vaughn, Hugo, Silas, Reuben
I know a few of those have been mentioned before so not sure where they stand on the list now. I don't think the two /n/ ending is necessarily a problem unless the names sound matchy, different sound and syllables would avoid that.

By Bue (not verified)
August 20, 2009 7:38 AM

Louise - There was an interesting discussion about Signe and Dagne (especially discussing prounciation issues) a few posts back. The search box should take you straight there! (I like the name, by the way.)

Alr - I too really love Mabel with Parker or Kathryn (with Kathryn being my slight preference). There's something very appealing to my ear about the soft sound of Mabel paired with a harder, consonant-strong middle name.

August 20, 2009 7:57 AM

Tess: I don't think two -n names are too matchy at all.

August 20, 2009 8:32 AM

Tess--I agree, 2 /n/ names aren't overly matchy. I love that you're doing a "name of the day." How fun!

August 20, 2009 8:35 AM

Tess:

There aren't many traditional LY boy names, but here's a quick list:

Lyle (simple and straightforward)
Lyn (and extensions such as Lyndon and Lynwood)
Lysander (Shakespearean, based off Alexander)

Lysander's my favorite of the bunch, and could even make a dramatic first name.

As a middle name, a two-syllable first name, accent on the first syllable, with some hard consonants balance the name well:

Rocco Lysander Fr..a
Crispin Lysander Fr..a

August 20, 2009 9:14 AM

Gosh, I reread your suggestion, and completely mistook what you meant by the LY. Sorry. I'm embarrased.

In that case... I'll still suggest Lysander because it fits the style--interesting without being difficult.

With a LYdon Fr..a ending, Gideon Hugo works, Gideon Phinnaeus works, Phinnaeus Hugo...

A few more that might work based on the suggestions so far:

Clyde (Gideon Clyde flows nicely)
Grey (Phinneas Grey, Lysander Grey)
Gaspar(d) (gives the G-memorial and some Crispin sound)
Gareth (on trend without being trendy)

August 20, 2009 9:31 AM

Valentine:

I've occasionally joked that my name is so common that I should just get it changed to Farquhar T. Rimblebottom just to make sure I don't have to share anymore.

But hey, you want to be Lee Lee? Ann? Go for it, it's your name, it's more yours than anyone else, go for it.

Heck, sometimes I think people should have multiple naming occasions. One at birth, a second childhood name once we know more about the child (perhaps just before the child enters school), and one more chosen by the child entering adulthood. We do it with our handles and avatars all the time these days.

We own our names, we mustn't let our names own us.

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
August 20, 2009 9:44 AM

Thank you- Chimu and Linnaeus- I added Reuben - to the list. It could make name of the day status! You reminded me of August-which has been a contendor. I quite like it. Caspian, Alasdair and Silas, Gaspar--as well as favorites, Jasper and Sebastian -all have "as" in them which would repeat in the last name-so no go, I think.Gareth is a sad friend and Oliver and Theodore are new dogs in the family. Also, my daughter has laid claim to Thelonius(nn Theo) for her someday child. Phinneas is one of my son's favs, but he is not loving the sound repetition with an "F" last name. Vaughan, Clyde and Grey--are handsome, but seem short a syllable or 2 with the relatively,short last name. Thank you Amy3 and RobynT for chiming in on the "n' ending.I think I was overthinking. Please keep suggestions coming-they are helpful in the process!

August 20, 2009 10:02 AM

Tess-That is an interesting group of names. I like Gideon Hugo a bit and don't think that two -N names would be too much. some other suggestions:
Phinneaus Alistair
Gideon Asher
Hugo Crispin
Barnaby Gerard
Henry Claude
Gideon Cornelius
Felix August
Hugo Carsten
Dominic Godfrey
Quintin Arthur

Rocco is nms sorry.

August 20, 2009 10:21 AM

Re: Zion.
I just can't stomach this name, while at one time the word/name could have been considered neutral to me despite its inherent religious undertones, today it's just rife with conflict. Me, being well outside the conflict living in N.A., and being neither Jewish, nor Muslim, nor Palestinian nor Arab, I can still honestly say that in my mind someone who names their child Zion is looking to cause some debate. Admittedly not everyone knows or feels the conflict behind the name, but I know that I do and I highly disagree with the name's use in the current climate. I just don't know how a child is supposed to deal with that.

August 20, 2009 10:29 AM

tess,
if you used the spelling "alistair", there wouldn't be the repeated 'as' in the first and last name. just throwing it out there.

oooh, zoerhenne, i like your suggestions!

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
August 20, 2009 10:55 AM

Zoerhenne Thank you! You are inspired. I just cut and pasted the whole list to my son and d-i-l..I think Felix is the only one that is a stretch because of the F last name....but it wasn't a problem for Felix Frankfurter! And Emilyrae,I like Alistair--Maaybe, tomorrow's name of the day. Alistair Henry LYdon F****a. Nice.

August 20, 2009 11:09 AM

linnaeus,
gasper! the forgotten brother of jasper and casper! i wonder if that will ever catch on...

also, don't be embarrassed about your ly-names. it was interesting, regardless. you always bring up intriguing names. plus, you reminded me of lyle the crocodile, a book i read as a child.

tess,
i only mentioned it because i'm a big fan of alistair/alasdair, so i felt compelled to at least TRY to keep it in the running. :]

August 20, 2009 11:26 AM

You're too kind, emilyrae.

Lyle is an interesting name. The TV show Heroes has a character named Lyle--a normal teenage boy, at that.

I'll talk more about comic book names in the next topic.

By Guest #242 (not verified)
August 20, 2009 11:47 AM

I'm not too sure if they are going to call her Elliette or by a nickname. I really hope they shorten it! My friend isn't real fond of the name I dont think she just isn't as proud of it as she was with her first baby Bailey. Her husband is, well how do I say this nicely? A tool! What ever he says goes. They knew it would be a girl from like 16 weeks on and the only name he would consider was Elliette.

August 20, 2009 12:22 PM

LOL Guest#242-You got your point across well.

Tess and Emilyrae-Thank you. Tess I hope your son can use one of them. emilyrae your Gaspar suggestion is amusing! On to the next topic...

By DRDS
August 20, 2009 1:03 PM

Hi Tess,
If you are still reading this post, I thought I'd throw out a few more ideas that may inspire. Marin is the top of my girl list, so here are some suggestions from my boy list that haven't been mentioned:

Arlo
Rowan
Errol
Julian
Arden
Marlow
Laszlo

I remember Milo was also on the list at one point, which I think is cute with Marin.

A lot of these names end in an "o" sound, but that helps shake up the two end in "n" names. However, I do agree that isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.

Personally, I do think Crispin sounds a little too "crispy." But maybe they like the food association???

Best wishes!

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
August 20, 2009 1:39 PM

DRDS-- Arlo was on the list--I will have to remind them..I love Milo too,but worry for a second about repeating the M of Marin, ditto Marlow.My son loves Crispin--but his criticism was the same as yours,and I agree. Arden and Rowan are starting to be crossover names around here, I believe. I love Laszlo, but it has that pesky "as" in the middle that slushes with the repetition in the last name.Dashiell was another well-loved name that was crossed out for that reason.I will try Julian again--I think they find it too popular..And Errol--I don't like saying aloud :(. Arlo Julian LYdon F****a-sounds nice. Thank you.

By DRDS
August 20, 2009 4:42 PM

Tess -
Marlow and Marin are probably too close for my taste, as well, but I don't mind Milo and Marin together.

Arlo is one of my favorites at the moment, and Arlo Julian is very nice. There's also Aldo and Arlen/Arlon (Arlo could be a nn for one of these). I prefer the sound of Arlo to Aldo, but Aldo Leopold is a nice association for me.

Jules or Julius are less popular alternatives to Julian.

Keep us posted!

By Tess not signed in (not verified)
August 20, 2009 7:05 PM

DRDS-- Since it is just the 2 of us chatting....let me ask your feeling about Lucian as a mn? Two years ago my daughter-in-law's mother died--weeks after Marin's birth. Her name was Lucine-- a name her mother disliked--she went by Cindy.. SO, and yet, I am thinking Lucian or, Lucius or (my Fav) Luca could be a tribute mn. The fact that her Maiden name Is LYdon complicates the idea.What do you think---Gideon Luca LYdon Fra**a??I know, not great-right?

By arh (not verified)
August 20, 2009 11:03 PM

Louise-
We named our 4-year old Signe, and we love it. We use the anglicized pronunciation that rhymes with "Sydney", as do the several other Signes we have met or heard of where we live, out West. (She already know to tell people "Signe with a 'G' ", so as not to be confused with Sydney - the only real challenge we have come across). Sometimes my husband uses the more Swedish pronunciation as a term of endearment, which is more like "seen-yae", but that is not what she goes by.

By DRDS
August 21, 2009 12:48 PM

Hi Tess,
I really like Lucian. However, I do think Lucius Lydon sounds better than Lucian Lydon or Luca Lydon. I think they could also do Luciano Lydon.

Henry Lucius LYdon Fra**a
Dominic Luciano LYdon Fra**a
Alistair Luciano LYdon Fra**a (maybe too many l's ?)
Lucian Gray LYdon Fra**a
Lucian August LYdon Fra**a

By Amanda R. B. (not verified)
August 24, 2009 8:41 PM

When I saw the name Ronja, I thought of Queen Rania of Jordan, who is of Palestinian descent, I think. Same sound, totally different name.

By imprezy integracyjne (not verified)
August 29, 2009 8:49 AM

Authentic Ethnic Names, Baked Fresh Every Day! - Very good news.

By Kira
September 20, 2009 7:23 AM

I completely disagree with you, Birgitte, I think Ronja is a well-established name (at least in Sweden and Finland) given by families of all kinds.

By handbags shop (not verified)
December 25, 2009 10:06 AM

February 10, 2010 8:00 PM

according to
Astrid Lindgren adapted the name Ronja Røverdatter from the middle of the finnish city Juronjaure; it has also been used as a short form for Veronica (victor) or Roksana (rose, sunrise)

there are 4000 Ronja in sweden; 1942 in norway, per the census http://ssb.no/

February 10, 2010 8:27 PM

scandinavian names in my family & circle of friends 9off the top of my head =):
arild, eivind, egil, emil, endre, frode, gudbjørn, harald, helge, henrik, jan per, jan tore, johan (hebrew), kjetil, knut, kristian, leif, magnus, øyvind, reidar, sam kristian, sindre, stig, svein rune, sverre, terje, trond, trygve

anne grete, anne inger, anne margrethe, anne lise, annelise, annie, ase, barbro, bente, betty lise, eldbjørg, helga, hilde, hildegunn, ida, inger, ingunn, leiv, leiv arild, katrine, kristin, kristine (danish), magnhild, margrethe, marion, marit, maylin (adapted from china,)olaug, sigrid, siri, siriann, sirianne, solveig, sølvi, sunniva, synnøve, svanhild, tone, tove, trude, turid

By Guest
March 12, 2010 4:59 PM

My name is Ronja. I was born in 1979 and I live in a small midwestern town in the United States. So I guess this is not really the orgin of my name. I know two other Ronja's as well. One is the same age as me and the other was born in the 1950's.

By Xindy (not verified)
December 15, 2010 2:05 AM

Actually the answer depends. First, we should figure it out why the coach factory outlet store sold at outlet stores are much cheaper than retail shops. The secret is which quailty of coach wholesale to outlet stores.Every season,coach outlets will have some inventory or closeouts which are not totally sold out. So what will coach outlet online do to these products? Throw them? Or continue to sell them in the coming season? No answer is correct. And fashion is always changing so quickly. So if they continue to sell them in the next season, there will be a very bad influence on the income. Besides, there is a large demand of cheap coach handbags among general people.