American Girl Redux

Jan 21st 2010

In August, I wrote about the names of the American Girl doll series with a focus on their latest historical character, Rebecca Rubin. Her name, I concluded, was a reasonable choice but not really representative of the early-20th Century period. I suggested Sadie as an alternative that would "hit the quadruple-bullseye of Jewish heritage, period feel, informal style and modern appeal."

Fast forward to this week. My eight-year-old daughter just read Meet Rebecca, the doll's accompanying storybook. She eagerly related the highlights, including Rebecca's struggles with her annoying older sisters Sophie and...Sadie.

I tip my cap. You can't put anything over on those American Girl folks. In fact, the book's gallery of Rebecca's family and friends reads like a sibling set from the Baby Name Wizard book. Sophie, Sadie, Leo, Benny and Max sit right at the fashionable intersection of "Antique Charm" and "Guys and Dolls."

For girls, further options abound -- Lillie, Ruby, Lena, Lucy, Ella, Molly, Nell, and on and on. For boys, though, it's slimmer pickings. If you're looking for a dark horse candidate, there's just one more name in the Rebecca gallery: Victor. In America today, Victor is usually heard as a Spanish name. Back in fictional Rebecca Rubin's time, though, it sounded more like Sophie, a multi-ethnic classic with Mitteleuropa gravitas but a twinkle in its eye.

Comments

By Zoe
January 27, 2010 1:40 PM

Becky, just to weigh in, I do like Zipporah for you - in fact, I prefer it to Eden. If you are still looking for other names to add to the list, I would suggest

Aliza/Aleeza

Ilana/Elana

Orli

...all of which have a Hebrew flavor, but with a minimum of pronunciation issues.
Best wishes!

January 27, 2010 2:32 PM

@ another laura - I didn't realize how difficult mns ending in a were to work with until i tried to pick a fn w/mn Lisa. Lisa is not a name I am crazy about, but one my husband wants it in honor of his sister.

a general question for the board... has anyone ever heard of the name Alise? I'm not one for "made up" names, but this one feels like it should be a name, yet it doesn't show up in Namipidia, though I've seen it's been used twice in the two years in the province where I live. It would be pronounced like Uh-Leese... so distinct from Elise, Alice, Alissa/Alyssa. I thought of it as an alternative to Lisa for a mn. I like Lise, but feel a two-syllable name works better in my case. Any thoughts on Alise? Would people just assume I'd misspelled it? And to the question, why not Elise... my sister used that as a mn for her daughter and I'd hate to do an exact copy.

@ momtoalmost4 - it sounds like you've made up your mind on Amelia so congratulations! I still have eight weeks to go - but I so wish I was settled on a name.

January 27, 2010 4:14 PM

@hyz - you definitely are stuck on 'v'!. Some good names there though..... I really like June with Ivy and don't think that babies need to be born in the month to use a month name (in fact I also think it's kind of cheesy to do so). I have a very short last name too so it makes it hard with 1 syllable a fn. Annoying that it rules out some of my favourites.

@maviris - I haven't heard of Alise, but that doesn't mean it's not 'real'. I think in the middle name slot it's fine.

January 27, 2010 5:05 PM

maviris-Yes, I believe Alise is a common respelling of ELise. I would pronounce it uh-lise just upon seeing it so don't know if others would have pronunciation difficulties or not. It may have a small rise in popularity as it fits quite well with all the Allison's and Alissa's I'm seeing on my local list. As of yet no Alise though.

January 27, 2010 5:18 PM

I was talking to my sister earlier today and she was on team Zipporah, therefore I'm kind of leaning toward Zippy/Zipporah now. It does have more meaning to me than Eden does, but I see how it does stand out from Judah and Levi, though that could actually be a good thing seeing that she will be our first daughter.

@maviris- I have a good family friend who has a teenage daughter named Ilyse, which is pronounced the same way as Alise (Uh-leese) and is definitely an inventive spelling. The family wanted to honor someone whose name started with the letter "i" but liked Elise so they altered the spelling. FWIW they used a very different spelling before the trend became popular and their other children have very common names with traditional spellings.

By Momtoalmost4 (not verified)
January 28, 2010 12:23 AM

@ Guest with Alice-

I know how you feel. We picked Ava to honor her Great Grandma, Eva. We just liked the sound of Ava a bit better. When we named her, it was 2003- we had NO IDEA it would be so big just a few years later. I think we've avoided that with our others thus far (Eliza and Grant) but now find ourselves with the same dilemma considering Amelia. It does seem, however, that all of the "Antique Charm" names are soaring and those are the names we like. Funny enough, Alice was one of our middle name choices. :)

Thanks again for all your help. I know a lot of it is just personal taste/style, but it's nice to hear a little feedback about the all vowel girl names and the double state names as our options. I'm glad to hear so many like Georgia as a first name. I'm not sure I'd use it as a first name- it's after a Grandpa, George. And well, just not sure I love it enough for the first name spot. But we'll see. I have about a week to decide for sure. And maybe when she gets here she'll look like something else. Heaven help us.

January 28, 2010 3:04 PM

to Becky-

i was reading all comments and noticed "Sarai" involved... my cousin's fiance has a niece named Sarai who is a few months old.... they pronounce it "Sar- eye" (with the beginning Sar like in Sarah). i think it's absolutely beautiful.

By evden eve nakliyat (not verified)
January 28, 2010 7:01 PM

This is a really interesting story. Keep it up, my colleagues would love this

January 28, 2010 11:03 PM

Becky--

Possibilities which haven't been mentioned: Yocheved, Batya (or Basya, depending on where you stand on the pronunciation divide), Malkah, Shulamit/s. Tzipporah was my grandmother's name, but how many Americans can pronounce it properly (whether it's spelled with a Z or Tz)? I once had a conversation with a young Israeli woman named Michal. She told me that she had given up trying to get Americans to pronounce it properly and just told people her name was Michelle. Usually when Orthodox Jews speak of Eden, they say Gan Eden, that is, Garden of Eden. If you are interested in a geographical Hebrew name there is Sharon. Another modern Hebrew name is Yaffa (beautiful). Also Nechama which means soul or Ophira which is the feminine version of the masculine name Ophir which is biblical or possibly Bracha (blessing).

By Guest (not verified)
January 30, 2010 11:38 AM

Becky,

Greetings! I'm a guest that actually found this website today when I googled the name Zipporah. We have a three year old foster care child that we are in the process of adopting. We will be changing her name legally at the time of adoption as her birth family is relatively close by and there is a privacy and safety concern.

I had always loved the name Zipporah, Zippy for short. It really fits her too! So in the beginning we started calling her Zippy ________(her given name). It stuck like super glue and she started calling her ownself Zippy within a day or two! So now, I'm working on her name combo. I want to keep it simple like Anna Zipporah but I really prefer Zipporah to be the first name since that is that name she will go by.

We are not Jewish and don't have many Jewish in our community...or at least that I know of. So, the name Zipporah is sort of foreign to everyone. Most people either love or hate the name. Since we live in the deep South (Bible Belt), I just tell everyone it is Biblical and that suddenly makes it all better! LOL! We definitely don't have to worry about there being another Zippy in her class when she becomes school age! And for that, I'm so happy!

I figured if I give her a very simple common name like Anna, Jane, Lane, Grace, or Cara, then she will have something other than cutesy Zippy to go by as an adult. Also, I have considered naming her Shana Zipporah, in honor of MYSELF, Shana!

So, I say go with Zipporah (my chosen form of spelling by the way!).

I will have to bookmark this thread! I can't wait to see what you end of naming your little bundle of joy!

Shana

February 10, 2010 3:41 PM

Becky,

I found all these posts interesting because I have been writing a play for my acting students based on the book of Ruth. I have added many characters to the story, to be other women harvesting in the fields... I had a student a couple years ago named Sarai and absolutely loved that name, so one of the characters is Sarai-- (suh-rye) which all my students ended up pronouncing (sair-eye) so I guess it's a difficult one? So pretty though.
Another character is Hadassah, which has always been one of my favorite names, the kids all pronounce that fine. Maybe cuz the story of Esther is common enough.

And for those of you who like Mabel...sorry, but ugh. I know an old lady named Mabel so that name is ruined for me. Alice is cute and I can see it's popularity growing. I like the Italian version Alessia.

February 10, 2010 4:05 PM

Woops! i had to repost this and the last section got cut off.
Another name in the play is Zillah, which was just a random name from Genesis. Two of the girls were going on about how they loved that name and would name their daughter Zillah. haha so funny.
Keziah is another character, that only one kid had trouble pronouncing at first. I like the other translation of that name, Cassia.
Selah and Lilah were other options, but I didn't need to use them.
The other character besides Ruth, Naomi and Orpah is Abigail.

February 10, 2010 4:51 PM

Hi Becky -
As an Israeli, I can recommend a few names that might be on the right path for you:

Noah for a girl! It is a biblical name and the most popular name in Israel. I absolutely LOVE it! (the guy with the ark, known as Noah in English is actually named Noach in Hebrew so these are two different names)

Elah - pronounced Eh-lah. It's not biblical, but has an old fashioned charm to it. I'm saving it for my future daughter. :-) The name has 2 meanings: Pistachia (a tree) and it also means goddess.

Alma - again, not biblical but the word Alma (means young woman in Hebrew) is commonly used in the Old Testament. Very pretty.

Yael - this is one of the most common biblical names that sound modern in Hebrew.

Keren - one of Job's daughters was named Keren Hapuch. Keren is a very common modern Hebrew name. It means horn and ray.

Lia - I love this name. It's a modern twist on the old fashioned Leah.

Tamar - another favorite of mine that is both biblical and modern at the same time. It means date.

Bathsheba/Bat-Sheva: Not a modern name, but I've always loved it. It sounds very romantic to me, probably more due to my Thomas Hardy association (Far from the Madding Crowd).

If you would like more ideas, I'd be happy to made additional suggestions.

As for the names you mentioned, my favorite in Hebrew is Michal, but every Michal I've known suffered with mangled pronunciations of her name by English speakers. The gutteral "ch" sound doesn't carry well.

Sarai is pretty and underused, IMO.

Devorah is my 70 year old aunt, so to me that name is a bit old. Zipporah is very old fashioned and never used in modern Israel (at least not in the circles I traveled in - it might be more common among the ultra-orthodox population).
Avigail is pretty and I believe it's been gaining popularity in Israel too.
Shira is modern, pretty and always sounds very refreshing to me.

Good luck!

February 10, 2010 5:10 PM

Hi -
Hope you don't mind my answering your question.
I'm Israeli - grew up moving back and forth between Israel and the US.

Most Hebrew names used in the US, especially by religious Jews, are not very commonly used in Israel.

Modern Israeli names are usually shorter and more difficult for English-speakers to pronounce - like my name, for instance. It's Inbal (pronounced Een-balle), the French pronounce it beautifully but Americans tend to botch it up pretty badly.

Over the past 10-20 years there's been a major trend of naming girls with traditional boys' names (not the opposite, though):
Lior (means My Light)
Tom (means Innocence)
Shay (Shai) (means Gift)
Ron (means Joy)
Shachar (means Dawn)
Omer (has to do with harvesting)
Gal (means Wave)
Tal (means Dew)

Those are just a few examples. My sister is one of the oldest girls named Ron that I know - she's 27. She goes by Ronnie in the US though.

Most of the more popular old testament names used here are hardly ever used in Israel anymore - other than among religious groups.
Sarah, Leah, Rachel, Rebekah, Naomi, Esther, Devorah, etc. are far more popular names for mothers and grandmothers than for anyone under 40-50.

As for boys' names, again the ones popular in the US are not common as baby names in Israel. They are more our grandparents' names.

But there are more obscure Old Testament names that are very modern in Israel, such as:
Oded
Yotam
Ohad
Ido
Itay
Yoav

Daniel and Jonathan are probably among the most popular crossover names that are found both in the older population and the younger, in Israel.

By Guest (not verified)
May 5, 2010 1:02 PM

Seeing this discussion months too late, but I hit upon it while trying to look for some more modern hebrew or israeli boys names. I don't know if I am having a boy or girl yet, but we are having much more trouble thinking of names for a boy. Our first son is named Ilan -- which I love -- some Americans can not say it correctly, but it is not too obscure. I like Reuven and Tal but looking for some other options. Anyone have suggestions? A lot of the naming sites seem to have the older names. Thanks

By ShannonD (not verified)
May 25, 2010 12:17 PM

I love the name Louisa. Gorgeous sweet timeless name that I think has a charming sassy edge to it too.

I hate Mabel. Sounds like the name of a big fat cow. Or an old and ugly hag.

By toner dolum (not verified)
November 11, 2011 8:35 AM

This is a really interesting story. my colleagues would like this

By Dyettesoymn (not verified)
July 5, 2012 6:22 AM

A male was walking on the coast undivided age and he bring about a bottle half buried in the sand. He determined to uncover it. Inside was a genie. The genie said,” I will grant you three wishes and three wishes only." The man brainwork about his fundamental demand and unequivocal, “I think I homelessness 1 million dollars transferred to a Swiss bank account. POOF! Next he wished during a Ferrari red in color. POOF! There was the crate sitting in van of him. He asked payment his end upon, " I hope I was overpowering to women." POOF! He turned into a sock of chocolates.

By hhh

شيرى عادل 2013

منة شلبي 2013

رولا سعد 2013

زينب العسكري 2013

نرمين زعزع

November 28, 2013 12:03 AM

I’d must test with you here. Which isn't one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a put up that can make folks think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark! seo services

July 9, 2016 4:46 PM

rddfgdf

July 9, 2016 4:48 PM

Wow is perfect and beautiful information i like it

Best website flash games girls is jeuxnewbanat. العاب تلبيس

July 10, 2016 6:34 PM

شكرا لك على المعلومات الجميلة بالتوفيق لك في القادم

افضل موقع العاب طبخ جديدة وحصرية فقط على جو فور بنات

September 25, 2016 8:22 PM

<a href="http://www.all3abbanat.com">العاب بنات </a>

<a href="http://www.all3abbanat.com/2016/08/gamebiggirls.html">العاب بنات كبار </a>

April 1, 2017 12:30 PM

Peoples should go online to know what options they have to get different kinds of gadgets on rent. Any development company will cater to this fact. Vancouver app development, BC android developer Pune also takes into consideration the various needs of the consumers. What we have done is compile some solid research about Android app development and put it in one place. Even though you may not realize it right now, there is a company out there that is more than willing to do the job. It's free and it gives you a direct link to the people in your target industry.

April 1, 2017 12:30 PM

September 21, 2019 10:35 PM

it's good you can find the right Baltic bridal through from the internet euro the woman Gallery

the actual wonderland nuptials euro men and women gallery on the web is quiet option to find your true love as well as through the u. s,national property. The picturesque european young women are a favorite of countless US hunks this morning thereby there ideal internet host of online matrimonial institutions which are usually primarily focused on the soviet girls. The a new relationship specialists typically recommends bumping for corner border russian beauty matrimonial web-sites because these seem like doable more with regards to other methods fetching of a distant bridesmaid. its for the most part since these online abroad matrimonial bureaus come preloaded with hope romantic relationship euro the woman gallery. most important brief article on the significance of wish nuptials russian women of all ages gallery.

the good thing of this wedding euro hunny gallery is these feature a great hosting server of numerous Soviet girls because of one outdoor patio umbrella. every once in awhile the entire numerical characters via future union ruskies people gallery moreover cross-stitching past hundreds. the great news is that the prospective new bride ranges comprise of many kinds of Soviet could from which to choose. its wish weddings euro young ladies gallery express after a a variety of generation have said begining with compliment 18 55 to many daters, properly age. some top yank daters carry lookup grown up girls that can project an experienced program from the living people.

therefore, There ladies with assorted relationship partner position wife or husband different jobs. it's great to point out that the wish marital relationship european female gallery portions are provided by complete home elevators the shown little girls. moreover their snaps you may get to know all the basics you need to learn associated with the puppy's are very grateful love of his life. you can also find extensive info the particular girls' background walls, education level, their age, your home and family, course, zodiac sign, pastimes, desires and demands nicely. what more, ambition nuptials euro brides gallery profiles finally high point any queries describing the woman and the characteristics she wants in their own lover.

effect, applying perfect relationship russian gals gallery at hand it is simple to pick-up the possible of your choosing damsels, choosing up with your own personal likes and dislikes, goals coupled with attributes. it's no wonder that, these particular european lady galleries and museums from the web based unusual matrimonial internet pages make the perfect help you will require for the right Soviet love of his life. on the flip side, you must be hardly any alert while searching for girls this art galleries towards the for each site can not be workable for every person.

the actual internet first word, guantee that the gallery possibly the worldwide matrimonial internet could strike on has a useful repute found on the internet. It's a necessary denote note because there are many being cheated blogs all-around. there was times when the displayed girls on gallery were not even girls! you are able to, any one leading web page absolutely often be within a spree to improve volume of its gallery so that the daters can get more choice to educate yourself regarding on. more to the point, as well as and your wonderland relationship russian dating euro adult females gallery really should warrant associated with an anti- fraudulent computer program and encoding featuring a entailed Baltic girls and boys alike.

If you are concerned about what is above meet a good choice european gals, anyway, there are a really good place where you could get together with not merely lady through russian federation, but then coupled with starting from all other Easter regions. think thousbut alsos lovely mail order ladies outlines provide for your primary long-term girlfriend now.