The Names You Choose Mean More Today Than Ever Before

Oct 28th 2010

The title of this column may seem like puffery, but I mean it very literally. Baby names carry more meaning now than in generations past. And all the time that today's parents spend fretting over the perfect name? They're not just obsessive, they're responding to a new reality. I can prove it.

I've talked before about a revolution in the way Americans name their babies. It started in the 1960s, when individuality was elevated to a prized cultural virtue. More parents started looking for names that stood out, rather than fitting in. It accelerated with the new media and information landscape of the '90s. Internet searches, unique user names, and 300 cable channels all upped the ante on finding a distinctive name. Bit by bit, the core classic English names that ruled for centuries began to disappear. They left behind a wild and woolly world where there's no such thing as a normal name.

That's the bird's eye view. What might not be obvious is the revolution's impact on an individual name, and an individual name-hunting parent. With the change in naming culture, your name choice carries more information; it means more.

Let's use clothing as an analogy. Imagine a company where employees are expected to wear gray or blue suits to work. If you see a guy wearing a gray suit in that office, what does it tell you about him as an individual? Not much. Now imagine another company with an anything-goes dress code. Couldn't you read more about an employee from his outfit there? And wouldn't the same gray suit mean a lot more in that environment?

Similarly, the more diverse the names around us, the more each name choice means. Back in the 1950s, "normal" really was the norm. The top 25 boy's names and the top 50 girl's names accounted for half of babies born. That meant that the typical child received a name that was very broadly used, so the name didn't communicate much about the family that chose it. (Gregory, George, Kathy, and Denise were typical/median names.)

Today, you have to include 134 boy's names to reach the midpoint of babies, and a whopping 320 names for girls. Names around the median now include Giovanni, Collin, Cody and Kayden for boys; Kyleigh, Ximena, Paisley, and Juliet for girls. Similarly, the 75th percentile of rarity has moved from Fred (rank: #93) to Giancarlo (rank: #677). There is no more naming "dress code," and so the names we wear speak volumes.

You can quantify this rise in meaning. (Serious stats coming up! If you want more methodological background, see these additional research notes.) In the field of information theory, a measure called Shannon entropy is used to describe the information contained in a message. The more diverse and unpredictable a message, the more information it holds. Think of how a photograph of a real-life scene, with all of its subtle colors and shapes, makes for a far larger file than a same-sized solid color block.

I calculated the entropy for the distribution of American baby names at five-year intervals over the past 125 years. Here's the full graph, for scale and reference:

The Amount of Information Carried by Given Names

Now I'm going to zoom in for discussion:

Name Entropy Closeup

Notice how the curve starts accelerating in the '60s and speeds up again in the '90s. Name entropy, or the information carried by names, has risen as much in the past 25 years as it did in the full century before that. (It's not just a function of the number of babies born, either. See the research notes for more.)

This is the statistical underpinning of the practical reality we sense as parents. Choosing a name is a fraught, consequential process today.

Remember that company where you could wear anything you wanted to work? Imagine meeting three guys in that office. One's in an oxford shirt and baggy khakis. The next is dressed like an H&M model. The third is wearing a t-shirt with a "Far Side" comic strip that he bought in 1992. It's not just that you CAN glean information from those fashion choices -- you DO, automatically.

It's the same with names. As the cultural information conveyed by names grows richer, people process that information, often without even thinking about it. Or to put it another way, the more names have to tell us, the more we learn to listen.

So if you're obsessing over baby names, you're not crazy. In a world where babies are as likely to be named Elijah and Serenity as John and Mary, even John and Mary send powerful signals that the public is primed to receive.

Comments

November 3, 2010 6:45 PM

ElizabethT-Congrats to you and your family!

I just heard of a new baby born recently-Summ3r El@ine (although I don't know if the I might be a Y spelling).

tinaconn-Thanks for replying to my question. I was jsut wondering what some NE's would think since we spend SOO much time overanalyzing everything about names. My ds does NOT seem like a Zachary which was almost his name. He is an Eric. But it makes me wonder if he would seem more like a Zachary if I had actually named him that?!

kathyjk22-Wow thats a tough one. I think you have to think of the names individually as see what girls' name goes best with each because Elliott and Oliver are SOO perfect together. I might recommend Ivy or Hazel since another poster on here has two of those names for siblings. However, Hazel has a different feel for me than the boys names. Maybe one of these ideas would work:
Harper; Miranda; Simone; Sylvia; Pearl; Juniper; Lucinda; Riley; Alyssa/Alexa/Alexis/Alexandra (matching the L sound); Georgia

November 3, 2010 6:47 PM

Oops, forgot to include a comment about an article I read today. I love the quote about the freeway towards the end of the article!

November 3, 2010 6:58 PM

kathyjk22 - I like both Hazel and Juliet with your boys names. I think Juliet might be too close in sound to Elliot so my vote goes to Hazel. Scarlett is one of those names I like in theory but not in practice. I've seen it shortened to 'Scar' a few times which I don't like.

How about Genevieve, Charlotte, Evelyn, Rose, Abigail or Josephine? I also like many of zoerhenne's suggestions and actually was going to suggest Juniper and Lucinda myself until I saw she beat me to it.

November 3, 2010 7:02 PM

I appreciate the feedback on my boy names. You all make some good points about Balendin, might move that one to the longer list or for middle name potential.

@zoerhenne: I do like all of your combo suggestions. I will make sure they are on my list!

Any other suggestions welcome :)

November 3, 2010 8:07 PM

Chimu-Thanks. If you want me to rehash any others that were on your previous list I can. I hope you don't think I'm a "name stalker" though LOL! It's just that you put so much time and thought into the list before and I into helping with it that I saved it. Plus they are fun names to look at and ponder because they are just on the edge of my style preference.

November 3, 2010 8:27 PM

lol, definitely not a name stalker :) I think we all like to 'play' with names a bit on here. Hopefully I can narrow down some options in a bit when I can convince my DH to actually discuss names!

Other questions:

1. For me using Cordelia for a girl would rule out Cormac for a boy (and vice versa), do others agree?

2. Using Astrid for a girl would rule out Soren for a boys (and vice versa) - don't want to have a scandinavian theme going on?

3. Would using Cordelia for a girl rule out Juliet for a girl? Too Shakespeare?

By knp
November 3, 2010 9:20 PM

Chimu:
Well, as Vaughn is my number one boys name, I vote for it!!
I also really like Cormac, Soren, and Eamon. I don't like Balendin when I think about it concretely.
I would not rule out Cordelia with Cormac. The sounds different enough to me (but I tend to be more sensitive to syllables and rhythm than sounds... the DEEL is pretty strong in Cordelia) Summary: I see what you mean, but if I loved both names it wouldn't stop me. And I didn't even know that Cordelia was Shakespeare. I've read the play, but don't have the connection like I do with Juliet and her Romeo.
Astrid and Soren is pretty scandinavian themed. That would stop me. (unless you are scandinavian, which I didn't think you were).

kathyjk22: I had the same reaction to Juliet/Elliot. I think Juliet is a great match stylistically, but it is really similar to Elliot. I LOVE Scarlet with your boys though (handsome names, by the way!!) And like Hazel too. Another idea-- you seem to like the ett ending sound-- Colette (2 syllables over 3 help for me)?

November 3, 2010 11:54 PM

kathyjk22-knp's comment made me realize that both Elliott and Oliver are 3 syllables. Maybe you want a 3 syllable girls name? There were many I mentioned before but I'd like to add:
Annabelle, Bethany, Verity, Penelope (4), Rhiannon, Samantha, Fiona, Felicity(4)

Chimu-I agree with knp. I wouldn't necessarily rule out one of the names with Cordelia vs. Cormac. I would however think that Astrid/Soren were Scandinavian and Juliet/Cordelia were Shakespeare/literature buffs. Astrid and Cordelia sound lovely together though. Cormac and Soren could work except for the similar sound. Speaking of which, you have a lot of similar letters to think about. Astrid goes with any of the other names you listed however your fav was Astrid Cordelia Margaret. Could you do two A names? August maybe, Alasdair probably no. Suzannah and Silas?

November 4, 2010 1:36 AM

Yep, not Scandanavian so I was thinking both Astrid and Soren together might be a bit much!
Interesting that the Cordelia/Cormac sibset doesn't sound too matchy too others yet, so I'll leave that as a possibility.

We do like Shakespeare in this house but I'm not sure I can be as overt as Juliet and Cordelia but I think I'd pick Cordelia over Juliet at this point.

Zoerhenne, yep I do love alot of the same letters. I seem to have a thing for A/C/S names!

This is part of the reason I am worrying about combos. We will probably only have 2 kids, so it's good to think about whether using a name first time around would rule out one of my favourites. While I'm not a huge fan of siblings with matching initials I do think if the names sound different enough they can work (or at least not be ruled out).
I think all of these *could* be ok?
Alasdair/Astrid
August/Astrid
Alasdair/August (may too matchy for boys)
Suzannah/Silas
Silas/Soren (may too matchy for boys)

Oh and zoerhenne you've hit on my secret favourite twin girl combo - Astrid and Cordelia. For some reason I love them together!

November 4, 2010 2:36 AM

i think i have mentioned here that i am anxious about names now that it's real. i had a list before (somewhat vetted through my husband) but now i feel like the names should have some kind of meaning. i've never been too big on meaning before, but if we are picking one name out of all the others, i feel like we need a really good reason.

another issue is that we are going to use a hawaiian name but don't know yet if we are going to put it in the first or middle slot.

i am thinking that 2-syllable names are best for rhythm. more is okay, but not too much more since baby will have a hyphenated last name.

and we are planning not to find out the sex so i think the goal is to come up with one boy name and one girl name.

so any suggestions on how to strategize? i just don't know where to start. well, we did start listing names we didn't want to use today. i'm thinking maybe asking family for nominations? or starting at the bottom of the census list for last year? should we figure out what place we're going to put the hawaiian name first?

November 4, 2010 5:18 AM

@RobynT, when we were choosing names, we already knew which family name we'd use as a middle for a boy or a girl. That definitely helped us narrow down what "worked" since we had a piece of the puzzle in place. If you decide which place the Hawaiian name will be in and, even better, what that name will be for each, it may help with your search for the remaining name.

In a somewhat sadly comic turn, once I was pregnant I didn't suffer the problem many here seem to have of needing to narrow a wide field of potential names. Rather I no longer seemed to like most of the names I'd previously envisioned using. I found the challenge of naming a real person daunting!

November 4, 2010 8:46 AM

Chimu-I liked August better with Astrid than Alasdair because of the "s" sounds in the beginning of each name. It's not "too" matchy but too close for me personally. I quite like a sibset of Astrid, Soren and Cordelia if it weren't for the emphasis on Scandinavian names. You had Hugo in a mn spot before, is it still there?

RobynT-For me, I would enjoy just making a list of Hawaiian names and American names and mixing and matching a bit. If you are concerned about meaning then maybe research names that have a particular meaning you like. For instance, if the word sky brings about happy feelings then you could do:
Sky (as a mn)
Azura
Heaven/Neveah
Kailani (one of my fav Hawaiian names btw)
Alohilani
Aracely, etc.
So out of those options you could narrow down the list and have a few choices available.

November 4, 2010 8:55 AM

@zoerhenne (#108) - Spotted in your list:
[Annabelle, Bethany, Verity, Penelope, Rhiannon, Samantha, Fiona, Felicity]
--two virtue names!
I have recently grown rather fond of Verity myself.

@kathyjk22 - noticing the virtue names on zoerhenne's list made me think that if you like them and the 3 syllable idea, there are far more names than just those two to choose from - Charity, Liberty, Harmony, Trinity, Memory - the list goes on. One good list I found here: http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/virtue.html

By JW (not verified)
November 4, 2010 9:42 AM

The best advice I ever heard about naming a baby was this: Go to the back door and call the name loudly 10 times, because that's the way you'll be hearing it for the next few years. If you still like it, keep it.

November 4, 2010 11:06 AM

Rachel-That's a good list of virtue names. Those you listed however (to me) seem TOO much. Verity and Felicity have more use as names and I think the virtue part has worn off a bit with those. The others seem unusuable because they still sound like words to me. *I might be able to use Serenity as well.

November 4, 2010 11:08 AM

Interesting name game results I found while perusing namenerds.com Thanks Rachel-it's raining here so I needed a fun thing to do.

*OOPS here's the link*

By Renka (not verified)
November 4, 2010 12:04 PM

I know three adult Xaviers. They are all in their late 20's, and different backgrounds. They come from middle class homes.

One is Filipino living in Canada
One is American (Connecticut)
One is from Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean

November 4, 2010 1:57 PM

re virtue names:

I had recent occasion to look up some basic information on the Plimouth Plantation, and in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving (US) holiday, here is a link to the names of the Mayflower children:

You will notice the following Puritan virtue names:

Remember, Love, Wrestling, Humility, Resolved.

Then there was little Oceanus named for place of birth.

(Notice also the seldom used biblical name Damaris.)

BTW I know two little preschool sisters named G3nesis and S3renity.

By EVie
November 4, 2010 3:37 PM

Sorry about the length of the following rant...

Re: the namenerds stereotypes game: So when I first looked at it, I was pretty amused and thought it was all in good fun. But after playing a couple of rounds and looking at the overall results, I actually became kind of bothered by a few things. A bit of summary:

In terms of the game's set-up: Most of the stereotype-categories are the same for the girls' names and boys' names—Aristocrat, Business Executive, Computer Geek, Movie Star, etc. For some of them they are different, but clearly correspond to each other—High School Jock/Cheerleader, Minister/Sunday School Teacher, Grumpy Old Guy/Old Spinster, Drug Dealer/Stripper. I don't have huge quarrels with these, though of course I would prefer that there were a High School Jock category offered for girls as well, as there are plenty of athletic girls out there who do sports other than cheerleading. I was more bothered by the Accountant/Secretary pairing—I understand wanting to have a "Secretary" category, but what, women can't be accountants?

However, I can excuse the game's set-up as being reflective of one person's biases. What bothered me much more than the set-up were the overall results. A sampling:

-the biggest winners in girls' names were: Stripper (64, 23%), Cheerleader (52, 18.7%), Old Spinster (29, 10.4%), Secretary (26, 9.4%), Sunday School Teacher (24, 8.6%).
-the biggest winners in boys' names were: High School Jock (57, 22.4%), Grumpy Old Guy (32, 12.6%), Poet/Artist (25, 9.8%), Aristocrat (21, 8.3%), Business Executive (21, 8.3%).
-only 3 girls' names (1.1%) had Business Executive in 1st place, compared to 13 boys' names (5.1%) (Those names were Catherine, Kathryn and Anna)
-only 7 girls' names (2.5%) had Aristocrat in 1st place, compared to 21 boys' names (8.3%)
-only 3 girls' names (1.1%) had Computer Geek in 1st place, compared to 21 boys' names (8.3%)
-a whopping 64 girls' names (23%) had Stripper in 1st place, compared to 19 boys' names which had Drug Dealer (7.5%)
-0 girls' names had Olympic Athlete in 1st place (though only 2 boy's names did, 0.8%)

This just makes me kind of sad. I know I shouldn't take it too seriously, because it's not at all scientific and the results are biased not only by the categories offered, but by the names chosen (I freely admit that I, too, would categorize names like Misty, Brandi and Destiny as "stripper" names). But it still bothers me, because I had hoped we had reached the point where women could be categorized as something other than strippers or schoolmarms. Even traditional, classic names like Elizabeth (Sunday School Teacher), Diana (Secretary), Marie (Stripper) and Kate (Cheerleader) fell prey to it. Some of the other names that were categorized as Stripper names: Monica, Kira, Natasha, Frederica, Rhiannon, Portia.

Also, there was clearly some racial stuff going on: the only female Computer Geeks were Miyuki, Xia-Li and Mei-Ling; Abdul, Ahmed and Muhammed were all Gas Station Attendants; and Francisco, Ricardo, Salvatore and Hilario were all Hair Dressers. And that's not even getting into the African-American names that were by and large clumped into Strippers and Drug Dealers.

I'm not the kind of person who gets all upset over things not being totally PC, and I understand that the whole point of the game is stereotyping. I also admit that I only analyzed the 1st place categories, and that there is probably more variance in the 2nd and 3rd places (which in many cases are very close to the 1st). But I just found it really disappointing to think that no matter how much care and effort we put into picking names for our daughters that allow them to be whatever they want to be, the automatic impression of a lot of people out there is still going to be 1-Stripper/Cheerleader or 2-Secretary/Sunday School Teacher. Ok, rant off.

November 4, 2010 8:11 PM

So I feel like I've made progress on boys names today. I definately want to include my dad's name if the next baby is a boy which essentially rules out Louis. Hubby made it clear that he doesn't want to use Lawrence (which is my dad's fn) and his mn. Apparently, he's never been too keen on his middle name. I intensely dislike my mn (I should have changed it when I got married) so I can relate. So the next boy will have my dad's mn Elias as either a first or middle name which means zoerhenne idea of Jude Elias is now a top contender! Elias John is still in the running as well. I'm a little concerned that Eli is becoming so popular (with all the Elijahs and Elis) and that Jude is too trendy.

November 4, 2010 9:42 PM

@zoerhenne, yep Hugo is still in the running, probably for a middle but maybe a first name.

@RobynT - yes it's much harder when you have to actually name a real baby! I would suggest starting with the Hawaiian name. Do you want to call them by this name (irrespective of what spot it's in?). Then do a list of Hawaiian names, narrow it down to a few favourites and you have something to work with when you start making combos.

November 4, 2010 10:37 PM

Thanks for the tips all! Yeah, we have almost definitively decided on the Hawaiian name. I think we are going to attempt to use both names. Not sure exactly how that will work. Maybe some family will use one and some the other; we'll see.

November 5, 2010 12:34 AM

another Laura-Yea me :) But really yea you for getting some things narrowed down.

RobynT-Yea to you also.

Evie-Wow. Interesting rant. I too noted the categories and the names that were in each. However, I thought it more defined the users of the site/game (myself included) than anything else. We have stated several sterotypes on this site in the past in here and there is no need for me to rehash them except to make this point...I believe the demographics of the users of many "name blogs" are not the people in there 20-30's who may be expecting and actually looking for a name, but rather the 40-50yo name nerds (as the site is labeled). These people (yes me) have been through HS and maybe college but definitely life in general and developed certain ideas about names in their lifetimes. The other age brackets have too but their reactions were to DIFFERENT names. We've mentioned how the Great-gmas of the world react when they hear names like Nevaeh or Brayden (more modern inventions) as opposed to names like Katherine and Michael or even Tiffany/Simon/Horatio/Felipe. I am not sure it can be helped. Is there really a way to NOT form an opinion about a certain name? I don't think so. I am also not one to be all PC. I prefer to use common sense and speak what I believe. So I believe that the persons filling out the form are choosing the best answer based on their life experiences. Do I agree that Tiffany is a cheerleader name? Yes. Can it also be a librarian's name? Yes of course. But comparing that list to the current Top 100 on the SSA we get some pretty clear pictures about what kinds of names will become popular and which won't over time (that 100yr effect). I didn't look at when the page was created though. If you grew up hating Tiffany because she was the most popular cheerleader stuck up snob in the school, you are certainly not going to name your child that. AND that memory will probably stick with you every time you here Tiffany and are asked what you think of it and the name's popularity will slowly die out. However, if you've NEVER heard it before on a real person it may seem fresh and exciting to you. *My sincere apologies to all the Tiffany's reading this as no not every Tiffany is as the above stated*

By Larksong nli (not verified)
November 5, 2010 4:06 AM

I'm sorry it took so long to respond;I've just been incredible busy & did not get a chance.I really do appreciate the input & have been telling my relative everything

@Eo

You really are like a name encylopedia ! Reeve & Reid are pretty inspired . I never would have thought of that . I told my relative, but I don't think it's her type of nn/name

@Rhodolady
That's a pretty fab story !

By MegS (not verified)
November 5, 2010 2:49 PM

I have been lurking around this blog for about 6 months now and this latest post finally has inspired me to comment. Laura, you are awesome! I love the idea that even "normal" and "average" names are no longer either "normal" or "average." :D

We are expecting our son sometime in the next two weeks and after much discussion have decided to go with family names for him. My husband is the 6th generation but I just couldn't have ANOTHER with the same name. So, instead, we're going with middle names from both sides of the family (his dad and granddad and my dad and granddad).

The outcome: Thadeaus Cleveland (nn Thad)

Long story short, however, thanks to this article I will no longer be overly concerned that the name is too out there or too trendy or too old fashioned or too average or too anything! Thank you! :)

November 5, 2010 10:12 PM

Remember a study that came out last year that claimed men with unusual names were more likely to commit crimes? On the subject of this blog post, the study failed to mention a major factor diminishing its relevance when it comes to someone choosing a name for a child - the generational factor. The subjects in the study were probably adults as of when it was done - mostly born back when common names were more common. Now with more diversity in names, those with "unusual" names in the generation now being born probably won't have the same effects. This factor is one of several that led it to being flawed IMO, with some others being how they mathematically expressed the results and not distinguising between the various kinds of "unusual" names (many of the examples I recall them mentioning have some kind of racial or ethnic connotation to them, thus likely skewing the results when compared to names that are merely uncommon).

By AnnieB (not verified)
November 6, 2010 11:15 PM

Have to laugh at your comment on Xavier, since we know a 60something one! There are still bastions of conventional naming even in the USA, and Catholic schools are one...I doubt there's ever been a class at Notre Dame without an Xavier! At least the USA isn't like the old Netherlands, where so many boys are Cornelius Maria we can't do our genealogy! As someone named after BOTH my deceased grandmothers, I can tell you that grannies and grandpas still enjoy having namesakes.

By Cecily's Mom (not verified)
November 10, 2010 6:17 PM

I still remember the day my mom brought home a second hand baby name book. (They were struggling to name baby #5) I had just turned 11. I read that thing from cover to cover. (I could have done my monthly book report on it.)

Since then I have been not just interested in names, their origins, meanings, popularity, and why we like what we like--I have been consumed by it.
Thank you, thank you, for making my obsession into a science. Names are my drug of choice and I love coming to the name lady for my fix.

November 12, 2010 12:08 PM

Thank you everyone so much for your thoughts and advice on finding a girls name to go with my twin boys Elliott and Oliver!

It seems like many think Juliet is just too similar to Elliott (which my dh also thinks). And Scarlet gets pretty mixed reviews (which I must admit is how I feel -- like it more in theory than in reality). So from what I had on my initial list, Hazel gets the vote (which I like much more than my dh).

Now, some of you suggested new ideas and of those I think I like the following options the best:

Ivy
Juniper (my dh thinks this is too hippie)
Genevieve
Charlotte
Colette
Fiona (is this too Shrek?)
Felicity
Charity

Thoughts?

By belstaff (not verified)
November 25, 2010 11:02 PM

Belstaff - A Genuine Product, English Made & Designed Since 1924th Already worn in the early sixties by Marlon Brando, James Dean and Che Guerava even hanging Belstaff jackets convinced to this day by all relevant celebrity shoulders and over again by timeless designs with cutting-edge technologies.
Belstaff clothing should withstand all weather conditions, so the Belstaff jackets used in the early years of waxed cotton material for the manufacture of textiles for motorcycle riding. The eventful history of Belstaff ends in Italy. In the town of Mogliano Veneto is today the headquarters of Belstaff label.
Belstaff jackets became well known by the different appearances in blockbusters. In Blade, Batman and The Aviator, the English designs had a guest appearance. The very light summer jackets from Belstaff include inter alia Cotfort, a mixture of cotton, nylon and spandex. By the middle of the Twentieth Century the company's Belstaff Trailmaster jacket had become legendary and worn by everyone from motor-biking champions to Che Guevara on his journeys across Latin America.The reinterpretations of the jacket from the fifties is a most popular pieces of the label. Kate Moss likes to dress in Belstaff leather jackets.
The cuts remind Belstaff jackets in the past and the label are clear from the sporty, hard-nosed style of Motorcycle inspired. The jackets are decorated in striking colors. A bright red jacket, a long belstaff jaket with belt,a stylish short Belstaff Blouson jacket with slanted zipper or a Belstaff bomber jacket in leather with three-quarter sleeve dress decorated woman, if she decides to Belstaff. The selection of parkas and Blazer from Belstaff Outlet is less significant, but convinced by his unusual for both types of Jackets

By Kyle (not verified)
December 6, 2010 7:49 PM

Your conclusion is surely true, but your quantitative analysis is deeply flawed.

You can't use entropy or other information theory metrics to reason about distributional skew when the number of "types" (in this case, names) is changing as well. First off there are approximately 4x more babies now than there are in 1890. When there are more babies, there are more names! This wrecks the claim that names are becoming more skewed, though: a uniform distribution with 2 types has Shannon entropy of 1 bit, but a uniform distribution with 4 has 2 bits, and so on, but they're all equally skewed.

Actually, I just aggregated the SSA data and I find that the count of unique names by year is roughly proportional to the number of babies. So probably not a HUGE change in skew, though Stanley Lieberson, a sociologist who studies baby naming, finds that the percentage of babies accounted for by N names, where N is 10 or 25 or 100, has increased in this century.

December 27, 2010 6:54 AM

ugg bailey button boots
are popular with many stories. Classic UGG boots are so attractive that many people like to have a pair of ugg boots with them. This is the First World War in Australia, the original name is ugly boots, and the nickname in Australia ugg classic tall boots for a rounded head uggs cheap,until after the American UGG boots for a trademark. Many people believe that the signer ugg boots with the famous classical mechanics can button Bailey luxury UGG boots keep long term. Ugg boots gradually become known worldwide.

Today, different individuals have found to preserve visual acuity in his shoes. the purchase of a visual style is very important, not only is really like, ugg classic tall boots being to break his suit for a couple terrible search for real feet. ugg bailey button boots 5803 This shoe style field shows individuals with sophisticated styles and different colors. fashion gurus of the new trends of the brand founded. View welcoming tide is neglected by Australia's new leather shoes rarely minced lamb.

But in most of the equity, ie, usually fascinating, stylish and comfortable shoes. Should take a break at the end of a long day (and first!) With them. A common style may be Scuffette UGG slippers. ugg classic cardy boots on sale They are handmade from bidding flatsoled keep warm welcome of his toes during the winter months and offers many security that absorbs moisture in the summer months.

And it is certainly worth shopping, poor get the potential risk to this type of boots that will support their own good. The little ones enjoy these people, ugg classic cardy boots on sale young people can improve themselves certainly be relaxed to wear a pair of Ugg boots, comfortable, no matter the color even elderly or feel she needs more sleep in general which can produce both at his feet.

By juicy couture (not verified)
December 29, 2010 3:09 AM

Many trendy and fashion handbags are getting much cheaper than 7 years ago. And almot all the women can spot fake bags from serial number. All the original coach purses have been known for their outstanding quality. There are many coach bags which are made of geunine leather. These series of cheap coach purses bags are very difficult to copy. So there are very little discount coach handbags made of leather. Once you saved up enough money, invest in quality and real coach handbags. You will find them fashionable and trendy. If you budget allows, I strongly suggest you buying original coach products.

By chamilia jewellery (not verified)
March 5, 2011 4:25 AM

You changes sound great! Good luck to everyone in the election(s).

March 15, 2015 10:59 PM

They left behind a wild and woolly world where there's no such thing as a normal name Cipto Junaedy Penipu

December 17, 2017 5:33 AM

'Astonishin justg' views because of Leicester Dunkirk

'Astonishnearg' action once Leicester can be DunkirkMystery sorted out extra iconic war time Leicester photo13:23, 11 SEP 2017Poignant [url=https://www.ucnews.in/channel/301]new release tamil movies[/url] scene: mediterranean soldiers relaxing in Leicester's Victoria softball park, prior to the city's fights funeral obituary, when were removed up from Dunkirk, present in June 1940 we to see the actual mediterranean blockbuster full movie Dunkirk a few times therefore. I asked if it'd appropriately express true account but, With a tiny spending budget, the car made a top notch force to do this.website reader donald Reynolds conjointly came across can be plus the guy, it again "reminded me of associated with the tend to be earliest recollection,across 1940, irealised i was four years inside Dunkirk evacuation took place, is currently writing mr Reynolds, related with Leicester,several days following on from the evacuation, my dad took me started with london track, regarding Leicester, outside of the railway sta,We have come substantially as hackney block collectively conduit block and when we got a chance to the angle, i believed i was shocked to determine defense force perching on the advantage of the sidewalk, completely it down paris, france street needed for Victoria car park. young ladies in the might non-reflex operation (WVS) getting giving them cups of toy tea,my father said they would have come by railway up from Dover to birmingham simply to by to Leicester. he explained on many occasions they'd be delays for travel with to take them to armed forces camps and pieces in Leicester since nation,i recall one of the militia still obtained their specific iron headwear on and some were still clutching guns,incidentally, my father struggled with in the second and third battle. it most likely was fantastic air raid warden, distinguishing that will fire received from bombs if you are there's a german air raid,family: 'A Leicester power supply extremely popular city subsequently, after Dunkirk', Marches below Victoria village green, around June 17, 1940.fixing and repairing stuff penned the group substantial snapshot a couple of times associated with, yet,yet somehow, i'm sure followers are likely to consent, doing it practically never ends to assist you to examine migrating.On the eye of it, % a laid back market pertaining to Tommies being placed in Leicester's outright recognisable Victoria keep.many appear like cheerful, without doubt creating a heroic expectations for your camera.that a soldiers happen to be in your resting state before the city's confrontation funeral obituary may be very suitable: I mystery how monuments these kind a person came across in england dads and moms before and therefore acquaintances customers already lost battling in the.as the mister Reynolds discussed, The troopers employed found its way to Leicester in exercise inside the towards the south coastline vents, Alighting in a paris, france, Midland / or Scottish (LMS) train train station, soon after they marched rise the uk neighborhood.once an individual's remainder neighborhood, the pair were spread within Wigsand as well asn Glen Parva barracks.incidentally, lake printed this situation photograph lots of years back, A book lover inquired and that system we have become watching right here. often the limit badges are too confused to provide an answer.to the, the first (Censored) Caption referred to all of when "troopers within a Leicester duracell regenerating [url=https://www.ucnews.in/channel/301]tollywood latest news[/url] once certain exchange provided by Dunkirk, likely to be providing they is probably the Leicestershire Yeomanry. in early 1940, the specific Yeomanry ended up separated across half to build two cost noble Artillery products: the most important 153rd additionally 154th (Leicestershire Yeomanry) business Regiments.here in 2015, viewer dork Bausor, for Leicester, says the gift filler untruthful on a lawn, Second of placed, checking camera, already been his / her pa found in rules, 1920368 Sapper john Frederick Plumb, along with royal men with vision.

December 28, 2017 8:47 AM

Apply online to 24,155 Latest Central Govt Careers Dec 2017 Vacancies across India. Upload your application and sign up to Careers in Central Govt to learn immediately about the latest recruitment notification for both fresher's and experienced individuals. Find Newly released Central Govt Careers 2018 across India first on Fresherslive. RRB Syllabus 2018 RRB Kolkata Job Applications @www.rrbKolkata.gov.in Eligibility Criteria for RRB Allahabad 2018