2010 Name of the Year: Call for Nominations

Nov 17th 2010

Every December, BabyNameWizard.com honors one name that shaped -- and was shaped by -- the year that's been.

The Baby Name Wizard Name of the Year isn't necessarily the most popular baby name. It's a name that changed during the course of the year and points to more changes around us. It's a one-name time capsule, reminding us of how names are woven into the fabric of society, connecting to and reflecting everything that goes on in our culture.

Past honorees have come from Hollywood, politics and literature. They have included names of individuals real (Barack, Taylor), fictional (Renesmee), and conceptual (Joe, in the year of Joe Six-Pack and Joe the Plumber). What they all had in common was zeitgeist...and your nominations.

This is a group effort. The criteria for the Name of the Year selection include:

- A dramatic change in the name's usage or social meaning

- A reflection of a broader cultural theme, or influence on broader style trends

- In the case of current events, "naminess" -- how essential the name is to the story

- Your votes. The NOTY is always selected from reader nominations. The number of nominations counts in the decision, and compelling arguments in support of your candidate count most of all.

Please post your nominations in comments here, and feel free to second others' suggestions. Then look for the official Name of the Year announcement in December!

Comments

November 18, 2010 6:40 PM

Out of left field nomination: Lindsay.

Specifically because of Lindsay Lohan, Lindsay the milkaholic E-Trade baby, and the lawsuit.

Broader cultural theme: Ever more evidence that people want single names to be uniquely identifying. As our popular names become less absolutely popular, there's a rush among the famous to become the ONE Lindsay (or Britney, or Kristen, or ...). When that's not possible, nickname time.

Also, it totally nails the "name is central to the story" issue. Is it possible for even a kinda-generic name like "Lindsay" to have truly been chosen without any intention that Ms. Lohan would come to mind?

November 18, 2010 7:12 PM

Lucubratix - I must have missed some news. Best wishes.

By KMM (not verified)
November 18, 2010 9:48 PM

Echoing Rika's comments on Daisy, not only for the Park 51 situation, but also the recent deal about casting Daisy Buchanan for a possible film adaptation of Great Gatsby.

Others:

Bonnie (Toy Story 3): Between that as a young girl's name in that movie, and the actress, Bonnie Wright, who plays Ginny Weasley, the name kind of suddenly sounds like something age-appropriate and charming for a young person to have.

Ke$ha, Alejandro (for the Gaga song), Buster (for Buster Posey, the Giants rookie catcher), and Felix (for Felix Hernandez, who won the AL Cy Young today).

By billl (not verified)
November 18, 2010 11:35 PM

never watched glee so kurt 100% cobain to me, making it the name of 1991 or 1994

By billl (not verified)
November 18, 2010 11:36 PM

...kurt IS 100% cobain...

whoops

By Yet Another Guest (not verified)
November 19, 2010 12:12 AM

I don't watch TV (other than Hockey Night in Canada, I must admit) and so I'm with Bill that Kurt is Cobain to me. That said, I hate to admit that I know who Snooki is (I don't know how I know, I really don't). My vote is with her. I think Elin is the more classy choice, but I do think Snooki is *the* name of the year as much as it pains me.

November 19, 2010 1:25 AM

Audrina

Audrina perfectly captures the zeitgeist of this year. Audrina comes over as primarily two things.
First, as a celebrity name. Audrina Patridge is a reality TV star, who is most recently on dancing with the stars. Reality television and celebrity worship is high on the agenda for many Americans. As you know, many naming trends in the last few years have been strongly influenced by celebrities.
Second, Audrina ends in -ina. An ending common in hispanic culture for female names. Mexican culture is flooding and mixing with our own, on a monumental scale. However the name Audrina is not common in Mexico. It is a name that is easy to pronounce in both spanish and english, a perfect compromise of a name. Most importantly however it is used by parents of varying ethnic backgrounds.
A true melting pot/ celebrity culture name.

November 19, 2010 11:56 AM

Thanks, all, for the kind words! I am very, very excited, albeit cautiously!

As for Name of the Year - I am so very out of the pop culture loop for all TV-related stuff, but I think I'm putting my vote on Lisbeth, since those books were really controversial among our friends and aquaintances. Many people for some reason felt that they were glorifying violence against women, or that the female characters were interesting only because they were victims. I couldn't disagree more with either point, but I think the frequent heated discussions and vast popularity combine to make the name NotY worthy for me. Also, it doesn't hurt that Lisbeth really freshened up Elizabeth names for me. :)

By knp-nli (not verified)
November 19, 2010 1:33 PM

Hmm, I am having a really hard time with a suggestion for NOTY. I'm pretty bad at this anyway, but...

I agree with Snooki-- I still don't know who this chick is (I thought she was a character in one of the vampire TV shows-- looks like I was wrong?) But, I see the name EVERYWHERE.

I also support the Lost characters-- that was huge in the early part of the year (I even watched the last season!)

And, I kinda support Lisbeth, but maybe the author's name instead. Or maybe not, since I can't even remember it...I remember it was very Scandinavian...

I don't know if there was a name connected with the Chilean mine incident... that was huge.

Lucubratrix: yay! best wishes flowing your way (which ever direction that may be in)

By e. mag. (not verified)
November 19, 2010 4:43 PM

I could definitely agree with Elin-- I'm due in four weeks and hadn't considered the name until the Tiger Woods scandal-- all of a sudden I heard "Elin" and thought "what a beautiful name!" I have noticed more Bristols (boys and girls), Kates and Sawyers, as well.

By KMM (not verified)
November 19, 2010 6:38 PM

Popping back in to say that not only is Bonnie a Toy Story 3 character and the name of the actress who plays Ginny Weasley, it's also the name of a character on the Vampire Diaries, which had slipped my mind. Bonnie: Not just for 60-70 year-old women anymore!

Vampire Diaries also features a villain named Katherine, which as someone who goes by Katherine, is unsurprising, because fictional Katherine/Catherine/Kathryns these days are almost always hateful (though awesome) villains.

By hmf
November 19, 2010 7:40 PM

Two more ideas:

1. Julian. The name itself has been rising in popularity, so it's certainly of-the-moment, but I'm nominating it for Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, which was behind the monumental releases of "Collateral Murder," "Afghan War Diary," and "Iraq War Logs" this year. Assange has received an enormous amount of media attention, sometimes more than the leaks themselves, yet he remains an enigma. If, as WikiLeaks forcefully suggests, words matter—otherwise there would be no fuss about their leaks—then it should follow that names matter, too. However, this particular Julian is quite elusive.

2. Rand. Like Snooki and Ke$ha (as opposed to Kesha), another sort of nickname-as-brand. In the case of Randal Paul, going by Rand evokes both Ron, his father's name, and Ayn Rand, the (adopted) name of the writer of whom he is an avowed follower. A name that captures the political zeitgeist: As a libertarian and Tea Party member, Paul is an outsider, but how "outsider" can someone be if his father is a Congressman?

November 19, 2010 11:16 PM

wow, did not know rand was short for randal. it is much fresher. i went to school with a female rand. not sure where her name came from.

By Rjoy (not verified)
November 19, 2010 11:29 PM

wow! I new I was busy this year but I didn't realize my head was in the sand! I have know idea about most of these nominations. I guess I will just have to watch from the side lines.

(I don't even know who Snooki is)

By Beth the original (not verified)
November 20, 2010 12:05 AM

This is probably too "fringe" to ever get the award, but it's just for us Name Enthusiasts:

Saskia Hamilton

Why? Because Ben Folds and Nick Hornby (the novelist) teamed up on an album and they have a song of this title, named after the name of a poet at Barnard College. Here are some excerpts of a song that could only have been written by an NE:

I've only ever seen her name on the spine but that's enough. I want to make her mine!
...

She's got more assonance than she knows what to do with. I am in love with Saskia Hamilton.
She's got two sibilants no bilabial plosives.

...

Already got a girl, but she sounds real bad. I am in love with Saskia Hamilton.
She's got alliterations and her surname's Dag.
Oh! Saskia Hamilton!

No hard consonents in my girl Saskia!
Every single syllable sounds like Shakespeare! And I'm in love with Saskia!

Gonna live with her and it will be harmonious!
How could it not be when she's that euphonious?
I'm gonna marry her and it'll be idyllic!
And my teacher just told me she's dactylic!

By Lorien (not verified)
November 20, 2010 12:25 AM

I'm afraid I also have no idea who "Snooki" is... I don't watch much entertainment TV, I suppose.

I will say that I recently ran across a picture of an approximately six-month-old baby "Peylin" (I think that was the spelling), which makes me think that a ton of these are about to hit the big time, but are unlikely to show up as high on the SS list because of the spelling variations: Paylynn, Paylin, Peylin, Peylynn, Peighlin, Peighlyn, Peighlynn, Pelynn, Palynn, etc.

The name fits the "create-a-name" trend, caters to the bell tone love affair and offers that coveted "n"--all the same attributes that sent Aiden to the top. And, this year it is constantly in everyone's face, so to speak, because of the political upheaveal of the day as evidenced by the recent elections. It is equally known by just about everyone who hasn't had their head in the sand. People seem to either love or despise the namesake; however, we all know that namesakes are not really the key to an underlying push upward in popularity; it is whether the name has the "in style." This one does.

By Lorien (not verified)
November 20, 2010 12:31 AM

I should add that the recent hullabaloo over Bristol Palin's success in Dancing With the Stars will only push the name further into the minds of the younger generation who do not necessarily follow politics.

November 20, 2010 4:19 AM

hrm... i had previously thought that Palin would be used as a tribute name by fans, but with all the possible spelling variations, i wonder if it might be used more broadly.

By NJ
November 20, 2010 7:51 AM

I'm in the UK and I've never heard of Kesha or Snooki, but then I'd never even seen a picture of Lady Gaga until a few weeks ago, so I'm not exactly up to date with my cultural references.

Obviously in the UK, I'm weighing heavily in on the 'Kate' votes - my goddaughter (aged 1 year) has this as her middle name and it is widely used. Kate Middleton has very much brought it into people's minds this year, but even I've heard of Kate Gosselin, then there's Kate Moss, KT Tunstall (Scottish singer, actual name Kate), Kate Winslett, Kate Beckinsale...

My other suggestion is Alice. With the film out this year, and then the general trend it represents of parents going back to the more tradional names for inspiration - certainly here in my circle of friends, the number of unisex, modern or invented names is decreasing and more and more friends are going back to traditional names.

As an aside, out of about 310 friends on Facebook, 12 have had babies in the last six weeks - names Rebecca, Naomi, Tobias, Harry, Rebecca (again!), Evie, Joshua, Brooke, Benjamin, Ciara, Gabrielle, and Joshua (again)

By Lorien (not verified)
November 20, 2010 2:36 PM

On further thought, Palin variations also meet the last name first trend and the "L" crowd trend (Bailey, Kaley, Hailey). And, while I don't follow reality shows much unless they somehow make it into an actual news cycle (which Palin ones tend to do), isn't there a new reality TV show with the Palins? And that Levi fellow was pushing the name into the spotlight through his antics and off and on engagement. So, political AND significant pop culture exposure when DWTS is added as well, and all of it all the moore focused this year because of the midterms. As a given name, it is not my style at all, but I can't imagine it not showing up in variations if not in the actual spelling.

By Lorien (not verified)
November 20, 2010 2:49 PM

To take this totally off topic, is the name Gerard too "old man" even amid the upcoming Henry and Sebastian toddlers? I really, REALLY like the name, but then I like Ignatius, which even I think is a bit "on the fringe" still. I need to have names chosen by March, and I'm not having much luck, especially with a girl's name...

November 20, 2010 3:24 PM

knp-nli: There is a name connected to the Chilean miners: Esperanza.

Esperanza was born while her father Ariel was still trapped in the mine. He, with his wife Elizabeth, were going to name the baby Carolina, but each decided independently to change the name to Esperanza, which means "hope."

Oh, what the hell. Let's enter Esperanza into the race.

November 20, 2010 3:51 PM

tinaconn-That's a good idea to throw Esperanza into the ring. How about the actual name of Hope? There is the baby you just mentioned and also a TV show called Raising Hope. The baby's name is Hope which was changed from Princess Beyonce (like the singer I can't do those stress marks). I think it was a prominent feeling among many this year in times of trouble through the recession, job layoffs, and the oil spill. It may be a good name to use because Faith and some of the other virtue names are being used again. However, if you didn't want to use something so tied into religion as Faith then you might choose Hope.

November 20, 2010 7:09 PM

zoerhenne - I love the show raising Hope :)

Re snooki, I went and looked it up and I've really never even heard of the show and I'm not that out of touch with reality tv shows. Even though I don't necessarily watch them I usually know the trends.

I like the arguments for Kate. It really is an everywhere name at the moment.

@ Lorien - I have a soft spot for the name Gerard. I think it's spunky. I can see it's probably not many peoples style though. I must say I don't like the nn Gerry/Jerry so I would prefer the whole name used or another nn. I also love Ignatius :)

By Lorien (not verified)
November 20, 2010 8:36 PM

The family nn for Gerald is just "Ger" (sounds like "Jur"); I thought my great uncle Gerald was Gerard for YEARS because of the nn until I actually saw his name written out. I absolutely can't stand "Jerry" as a nn, so if we use a nn, which we really don't much with the other kids, we'd go with the quirky family nn.

Also, I agree with the proliferation of Kates out there. I guess I'm not sure if it really is tied to THIS year, but I could definitely see an argument for it.

I love the name Esperanza, too...

November 20, 2010 9:04 PM

Lorien-I can't say I particularly care for Gerard. I would have to choose Gerald over it if I had a choice. Gerard makes me think of Star Trek because it rhymes with Picard. I not a big Star Trek fan but that is what comes to mind. The only other Gerard I can think of is Gerard Butler.
EDIT: Gerard Depardieu starred in Green Card a very funny movie released in 1990. His co-star was Andie MacDowell.

By guest--jr (not verified)
November 20, 2010 10:37 PM

I vote for Kurt...

If everyone used to think of this name with Cobain, then the new association with the character on Glee is a "dramatic change in the name's usage or social meaning."

Also, the Tyler Clementi suicide was a huge story this year, as was teen bullying, and Kurt's character is a dramatic "reflection of a broader cultural theme."

Regarding the "naminess," that's a little tougher...maybe the history/association with Sound of Music.

November 20, 2010 11:52 PM

apparently there is a player for the Detroit Pistons named Richard, nicknamed Rip. I think this is a cool nickname. (NOT a nomination for NOTY; just thought you all might like it.)

November 21, 2010 5:40 AM

I third Lisbeth, from Stieg Larsson's best sellers, turned Netflix top foreign film choices, and soon-to-be American blockbuster films.

Snooki? Come on people! Parents IN Jersey aren't even naming kids after JS nicknames. Is something different in Idaho, or Texas?

November 21, 2010 11:47 AM

For clarification, I don't believe the NOTY has to be one that would ever be used as a *baby* name. I'm sure none of us would nominate Snooki or BP if that were the case!

November 21, 2010 2:03 PM

Though I already nominated a name (Kurt), I'd like to throw in a vote for Esperanza as well. Great pick - definitely a name-related story that resonated around the world. I'd forgotten about that one, but it does certainly seem NOTY-appropriate! Wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a spike in the name Esperanza when the 2010 popularity rankings come out next year, especially with the large Hispanic population in the US.

Regarding Lisbeth - did anyone else punch it into the NameVoyager and discover it had a sudden spike in popularity in 2003 (ranked in the 700's) and then drop back out of the Top 1000 the following year? Any ideas why?

By Grey00 (not verified)
November 21, 2010 2:10 PM

To add to the BP names:
I heard Bristol Palin referred to as BP on some gossip show (access hollywood, or some show like that).

I like Kate as NOTY - Kate from Lost, Kate Middleton, Kate Gosselin, etc.

By Leigh (not verified)
November 21, 2010 4:40 PM

Bristol would cover the places as names trend.

But I vote Coco!

By JRE (not verified)
November 21, 2010 8:44 PM

LIke the Kurt and Esperanza suggestions.

I have not heard Kurt used as a previos poster has ("that's so Kurt"), but can totally see that.

Esperanza captures so well the feelings worldwide of the miners being rescued. Based on the number of my FB friends who mentioned watching parts of the rescue, it's safe to say this was a world wide event. And besides, we all could use a little hope.

On the opposite side, I'd like to throw out the name LeBron. It was a much smaller event, but does speak to our times. Here we had a young man, born and raised in the Cleveland area who preached words like "witness" and "believe" and when there was a chance at more money he left in a heartbeat, but not before trying to milk the situation for every ounce of publicity including shamelessly using children as the backdrop for his announcement. So strikingly similar to the arrogance and bravado of our business and finacial leaders who lead us into the current economy. The only difference is that people had one person to blame for "The Decision" and the anger in the Cleveland area as well as the other cities he strung along could be focused.

By jjjjjjj (not verified)
November 22, 2010 12:24 PM

Finn and/or Quinn - both are tied to Glee, and both have ballooned in popularity. Plus they capture the modern unisex sound

By Aybee (not verified)
November 22, 2010 12:25 PM

I have noticed a huge surge in the name 'Jax' and 'Jaxon' among moms I know across the country. Whereas Jackson has been popular for years, I hadn't seen the upswing in 'Jax' before.

Handsome Jaxes on "Sons of Anarchy" and "General Hospital" ( neither of which I have ever seen, but I'm taking others' word for it) have apparently fueled the trend.

A few years ago I would have thought 'children's toy' when people say Jax-- now I hear a strong, spunky boy's name

By Kelley (not verified)
November 22, 2010 1:12 PM

Another vote for Kate here! It's amazing how a name that has been around since Shakespeare can suddenly feel fresh again (in both negative - Gosselin -- and positive - Middleton -- ways).

November 22, 2010 3:28 PM

I was leaning towards Kurt until I heard the Palin nomination. Peighton + Madelyn = Paylin et al. Plus the pop-culture, political and LN-First aspects of it make it a great nomination for NOTY. I vote for Palin. (Never thought I'd ever say that... wow!)

I also really like Esperanza. It captures not only the essence of that great world-wide event of the miners' rescue but the feeling of the times regarding emerging from a great economic recession, etc. It also transcends politics in a way that Palin (obviously) doesn't. The world was so united watching those men come up from the depths.

Kate is a good one too but I feel like the name itself is so well used that it could really represent anything and therefore doesn't have the strong tie to 2010 that Palin and Esperanza do.

By Daffy Castilian (not verified)
November 22, 2010 4:47 PM

Eyjafjallajökull deserves at least a nomination.

By Essy01 (not verified)
November 22, 2010 4:54 PM

I would hate to see Snooki as the NOTY so my vote is for anything other than Snooki. So for fear of Snooki winning here are some other options that hopefully y'all can jump on or hopefully the winner is Kate because that seems pretty much the NOTY to me (Gosselin and Middleton alone should really make it NOTY)

Ariadne/Cobb/Arthur/Saito/Mal - from Inception - really interesting names in Inception

Margo/Edith/Agnes - the little girls from super popular movie Despicable Me - and old lady names trend

Buddy Bear - Jamie Oliver's new boy, that caused much ruckus on the internet about celebrity baby names again

Sookie Stackhouse - Anna Paquin's character from True Blood was everywhere for a good portion of this year (or was that last year?)

Olivia - Olivia Munn (up and coming actress and [ex?]host of G4's Attack of the Show), Olivia Wilde (is going to be huge in about two seconds when Tron: Legacy comes out and she has steadily been building a name for herself in movies and on TV), Olivia Newton-John's appearance on Glee, Olivia Palermo from The City, Olivia Van Der Beek (James Van Der Beek's newly born daughter), - also I think fits somewhat into the old lady name,

Come to think of it, TRON is a name. maybe I'm just a bit geeky but so I pay attention to this stuff but Tron is really getting hyped up to be a huge huge huge movie, so it could really make an impact on 2010 like Avatar did on 2009.

By Kade (not verified)
November 22, 2010 8:47 PM

I know I'm really lame, but I'm gonna go with names from Harry Potter, cos I like a lot of them.
Narcissa
Nymphadora
Hermione
Bellatrix
Ginevra/Ginny
Luna
-----------
Then some names of my own choosing.
Eia (ee-ya)
Noelle
Phaedra (fay-druh)
Twila (twy-luh)
Aelita (eye-lee-tuh)

November 23, 2010 6:24 AM

The 2003 popularity spike of Lisbeth would have had to be for reasons other than Ms Salander... the Millenium trilogy didn't find a publisher for his books until 2004, and the first in the series didn't come out until 2005 (in Sweden). Google reveals there's a bunch of celebrities that go by Lisbeth in different fields, but nothing that makes me think one of them would be a likely explanation for the 2003 spike.

Here are the actual numbers per year, starting with the first year Lisbeth broke 100 individuals named:
yob1995.txt:Lisbeth,F,113
yob2004.txt:Lisbeth,F,206
yob2005.txt:Lisbeth,F,163
yob2006.txt:Lisbeth,F,133
yob2007.txt:Lisbeth,F,122
yob2008.txt:Lisbeth,F,97
yob2009.txt:Lisbeth,F,124

Things to note: it's really more of a 2002-2004 spike above background levels! And, it actually looks like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo franchise (2005-current) has had a moderating effect on the popularity of Lisbeth, rather than driving it upwards... though of course it's hard to know, since many (most) Lisbeths could be Elisabeths for SSA purposes.

If someone else has some good explanations for the Lisbeth spike, I'm dying of curiosity!

[Alas we will have >9 months to go until our next well-named baby, since this pregnancy didn't stick after all... but Elisabeth with potential for a Lisbeth nickname is definitely a strong middle name contender if the next baby is a girl.]

November 23, 2010 6:37 AM

@lucubratrix, sorry to hear you're still waiting. Next time, right?

November 23, 2010 8:33 AM

My condolences, Lucubratrix. Waiting is the worst!

My guess is that Lisbeth was a minor character in a telenovela. If I have time later, I'll do some digging.

November 23, 2010 10:30 AM

Regarding a Catherine being called Kate-with-a-K, as is the case with Catherine "Kate" Middleton, I think that was the usual pattern until very recently and perhaps even more so in the UK. (I knew a Catherine born in the US in about 1970 who was called "Kate".)

Penguin Dictionary of First Names (UK 1999): Kate -- English first name that developed as a diminutive of Catherine and it's many derivatives...

I think it's fortunate that the princess-to-be has such a regal name: Catherine Elizabeth. And as Prince William is not called "Wills" (as his mother reportedly called him) by the public, it seems 'royally appropriate' to use his fiancee's full name Catherine too. I would imagine that William still calls her Kate.

Catherine "Kate" Middleton was born in 1982. Ten-year-interval UK government baby name stats show that Catherine ranked 37 in 1984 (Kate, 44). Her younger siblings are named Philippa "Pippa" Charlotte and James William, names that fit well with royal naming style too.

I don't see Catherine "Kate" as the name of the year. But with the name of the fiancée of Prince William (SSA #5 for 2009) being much in the news, especially at the time of "The Royal Wedding", the popularity of Catherine (now ranking 177) and Kate (159) may increase in both the UK and the US.

Catherine is such a lovely name. But unfortunately as a commoner, "Kate" will not be known as Princess Catherine after she marries the heir to the British throne, but as HRH Princess William of Wales.

November 23, 2010 11:29 AM

@ Patricia: Re: "But unfortunately as a commoner, "Kate" will not be known as Princess Catherine after she marries the heir to the British throne, but as HRH Princess William of Wales."

Interesting. I didn't know that was how it was done but I suppose it makes sense. However, while that may be officially true, I'm fairly confident that the press, especially in the US, will call her Princess Catherine or Princess Kate and so that's how she'll be known to most people in the general public. They're already calling her the Future Princess Kate.

Also, couldn't the Queen give her or her family a title of some sort either before or after the wedding so that she could officially claim the title Princess Catherine or does it have to be inherited through blood? I really don't know how it all works!

November 23, 2010 11:31 AM

I have not heard of an upswing of Lisbeth's around me nor am I familiar with the one that has been mentioned here.

Daffy-Great idea for Noty ;)

Lucubratrix-I will keep my virtual fingers crossed for you until further notice. ;)

By first_fruits (not verified)
November 23, 2010 11:35 AM

So far I love the nominations of Kurt and Lisbeth, both names embody hugs parts of pop-culture this past year.

I dont really have a nomination, but I thought I'd throw a name out there and see if anyone wanted to run with it: Cecilia.

This was the name that Jim and Pam from The Office named their baby this year (I think, am I right?) I just wonder if it will start a trend of baby Cecilias. It also goes along with "old names becoming fresh" trend.

Any other prominent Cecilias in 2010?

By Barnacle (not verified)
November 23, 2010 11:43 AM

Hi,

I'd really appreciate feedback on some names. What do you think of Sylvianne, nn Sylvie? My husband and I really like the name Sylvie, and while I prefer it on its own, he thinks it would give the child more flexibility to have the longer name. Any thoughts on Sylvianne? Thanks!

November 23, 2010 12:12 PM

Lucubratrix: I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting. That really sucks.

first_fruits: I will die if Cecilia becomes popular as that is the name we are saving if we have a girl next time. I'm especially attracted to its fairly stable name graph.

Barnacle: I love Sylvie and Sylvia/Silvia. Sylvianne seems a little less traditional but I can see it as relating to Maryanne or Julianne so if you like it then go for it. I think Sylvie is strong and spunky enough to stand on its own though and will fit in really nicely with all of the little Sophies running around these days. Have you considered splitting it up? Sylvie Anne could always go by her first and middle name if she really wanted a longer/ more formal name to fall back on.