Name Spotlight: Sawyer

May 3rd 2010

Join me for a journey down the Mississippi with an all-American name.

Sawyer is an occupational surname that originally referred to someone who sawed wood for a living. Its free-spirited style, though, comes straight from Mark Twain's boy hero Tom Sawyer. Sawyer started to rise in popularity in the 1990s as part of a trend toward tradesman names, then spiked up after its prominent appearence on the tv series Lost. Like other literary surnames (Harper, Beckett), it has a broad appeal, luring in an educated slice of parents who usually prefer more traditional given names. It is pronounced...well, that's where today's story starts.

A site visitor clicked the "Report inappropriate content" on the Sawyer page in Namipedia. The visitor wrote:

There is an error in the pronunciation of this name. I named our son Sawyer and we have spent 22 years correcting people you (sic) slovenly say "SOY-yer." The word AND the name are correctly pronouned just as it reads: "SAW-yer." One wouldn't say, "I soy your mother at the store." :-)  I hope you will change this. Thank you.

22 years of correcting people can't be any fun, but there's a reason all those folks said SOY-er. It's the standard pronunciation of the word and name in both the U.K. and the U.S. -- take a listen at this Oxford dictionary page. SAW-yer is an acceptable variant, used by a small minority of people. I added it as a second listing in Namipedia, but parents of a SAW-yer should know they're fighting an uphill battle. (As for the idea that not pronouncing a word phonetically is "slovenly," hey, this is English we're talking about. Even the word English itself isn't pronounced phonetically.)

As I learned more about the word sawyer, though, I came to realize that the standard listing for the name really is wrong. Not the pronunciation, but the meaning.

Look up sawyer in a modern dictionary and you'll find two definitions. First is the person who saws wood, second a beetle that bores into trees. Look it up in a baby name dictionary and you'll find just the first definition. That's proper, since little Sawyers are hardly likely to be named for the beetle. But look up sawyer in a 19th-century American dictionary and you'll discover something quite different. Here's an excerpt from Noah Webster's 1828 edition:

In America, a tree which, being undermined by a current of water, and falling into the stream, lies with its branches above water, which are continually raised and depressed by the force of the current, from which circumstance the name is derived. The sawyers in the Mississippi render the navigation dangerous, and frequently sink boats which run against them.

In the words of John Bartlett's 1848 Dictionary of Americanisms, "This may truly be called an American word; for no country without a Mississippi and Missouri could produce a sawyer."

It was this all-American word, this peril of the Mississippi and scourge of steamboats that gave Tom Sawyer his name. Tom, in turn, gave all the first-name Sawyers their names. After all, as a surname Sawyer is less common than Glover, Decker, Collier, Skinner and many others. Its style mojo comes from the book. So arguably, the "real" meaning of Sawyer that should be listed in baby name dictionaries is a submerged tree.

Just think of it. All of this uncertainty about the pronunciation and meaning of a name that is an English word, a familiar surname, and one of the most recognizable names in American literature. Meanwhile new names are being introduced every day. A Baby Name Wizard's work is never done.

Comments

May 6, 2010 6:51 PM

There is/was a poster here, I think her name was Karen, who wrote books. I don't remember if she said she uses a psuedonym or not.

another Laura-Madison only has 2 right now.
Zachary was almost mt DS's name.

hyz-I will double check that.

May 6, 2010 7:14 PM

Guest B: I'm really interested in your preference for the hyphen in Korean names. I've been thinking about the different ways Korean and Chinese names can be written. e.g. Young-Min, Young Min, YoungMin, Youngmin. I have been thinking that writing it as one word (the last example) can make it less intimidating. I think that for English speakers, there's something about encountering a name that looks so different that makes us afraid to try to pronounce it, or makes us think the pronunciation must be more complex (someone mentioned this up-thread). So I've been wondering whether writing it as one word makes it fit more with names that English speakers are used to. I guess it depends on the name too. I'm thinking Yuna (vs. Yu-na, Yu Na) is a good example. I definitely get your point about how they hyphen can help pronunciation.

In large part, I'm thinking about my experience working at a Writing Center, with a lot of students from Korea, Taiwan, Japan, etc. I think there was a time when I saw a name written with no space and it struck me as less "foreign."

Also, not saying that the goal should always be to fit in or make things easy for others, but I think this does tend to be a concern for people naming their children.

Larksong: I believe Laura had a post on how the input of others in naming is a good way to connect the baby to the family. Or I mean one of the first connections they will have, something like that. You can name in a vacuum, but keep in mind that the baby doesn't live in a vacuum, something like that. Personally, I think that I will seek family input to a certain extent... Also, yes I am a teacher. And if I published a work of fiction, I would totally want credit for it and would thus use my real name! (Unless it was some kind of expose that I didn't want credit for...)

hyz: "Little bunny lumpkin" is sooooo cute... I might have to steal it... My husband and I have taken to using "bunny" as a term of endearment. Never around others of course. (Sorry if it sounds gross to outsiders. lol.) I am sure we will call our babies "bunnies" too. I have started doing it with my friends' babies!

Edith Bouvier Beale: So cool! Valley as a nn is very interesting.

By knp
May 6, 2010 8:00 PM

zoerhenne: just for clarification, I really do like the name Natalie! (And Nicole, but especially Noelle!!) And while I find an August named for the month August cheesy, I don't think of that right away. So, I don't really judge harshly. I guess I just don't get inspiration from the birthdate, and assume other meaning, just as you said. I guess I'm trying to say that for some reason, I don't think

This board exploded today, I was only away from a computer for 11 hours!!

I was reading this blog last night, and dear hubby asked if it was "Name Day" like it was a holiday. (he was making fun of me a little bit for looking forward to the list being published!) I'll look up my fave names Daphne, Vienna and Vaughn, after the top 10.

By Kate Shaw (not verified)
May 6, 2010 9:28 PM

I'm late joining in, but I'm another who pronounces the name SAW-yer, not SOY-er. I just checked with my mother (spelled the name out and asked her to pronounce it) and she's the same. We're both from East Tennessee so I suspect it's a regionalism. We both say LAW-yer instead of LOY-er too.

Oh, and I say Eenglish. I never realized there was any other way to pronounce it. :)

By Kritsin not Kristin (not verified)
May 6, 2010 9:35 PM

I pronounce it SOY-yer, because of Tom Sawyer

May 6, 2010 9:48 PM

I'm another one from New England who says SOY-er and ING-lish.

I have had a few conversations about the word "rather." I say it in a way that rhymes with father (and has the same cadence). I don't draw out the "a" sound. When the "a" sound is drawn out (raaahther), it sounds pretentious to me. Friends have made fun of me, for they pronounce the "a" like "apple." I'm not sure how this word is pronounced in different regions.

Welcome to baby Caroline and baby Albert!

May 6, 2010 10:13 PM

re: polish names- the ka ending is used for nicknames. I'm interested in Polish names as well, because I'm about 50% Polish. Some Polish names I've come across, including relative's names or just ones I've found:
Antonina
Tadeusz
Marek
Jacek
Ania
Katarzyna
Alicja
Tomasz

But I'm interested in finding some more that would be easy to pronounce in English but also reflect my Polish heritage.

Re: Valerie- I think this is a beautiful name. It's my stepmom's name, but she goes by Val. I personally love the full name.

By EVie
May 6, 2010 11:34 PM

I recently had an airline ticket scare as well. When I got married, I took my husband's name and dropped my maiden name to a second middle name, so when my whole name is written out, it's quite long. It does, however, fit on all my government documents, no problem. When I recently bought some plane tickets online, it seemed to fit in their online forms as well, but when I got the ticket confirmations, they had it written like this:

Lastname, Firstnamemiddlenamemaidenna

... missing the last couple letters of my second middle name. I was worried about issues at check-in/security, since it didn't match the name on my passport, so we called the airline to see what could be done. Well, nothing, it turns out--their systems can't accommodate that many letters. Which is ridiculous, because if the U.S. Government can accommodate a name on their passports, drivers' licenses and social security cards, the airlines should be able to accommodate it too.

I didn't end up getting hassled at the airport this time, but I'm just waiting for the day...

Larksong - I'm working on a genre fiction novel, and if I ever manage to get it published (fingers crossed!) I will probably publish under my initials and my married surname, which I think is a good authorial name for the genre I'm working in (E. V. Lastname). If I later decided to publish a work of literary fiction, I'll probably use my full first name with my maiden name as middle (Firstname Maidenname Lastname).

May 6, 2010 11:41 PM

hyz-i checked my numbers and have no clue where the numbers I posted earlier came from! The correct total births for 2009 are 941 boys and 975 girls.

knp-No problem, I just thought I would make mention of it since I had mentioned DD in a post a bit earlier. I DO think August in August is a bit cheesy because the name is so much more than that. But April seems a lot simpler as do the months. I don't automatically assume kids are named after the month/season either. I guess it just seemed off when I saw Autumn that day.

Rachel-There are plenty of Polish names that aren't too much for English speakers. I'm sure if you google around you will find some sites.

By Guest (not verified)
May 7, 2010 8:17 AM

Sawyer rhymes with Lawyer. I've never heard anyone say LAW-yer, it's Loy-er. So why would we say SAW-yer.

By Sharalyn (not verified)
May 7, 2010 10:08 AM

I know three little baby Margarets here in the PNW, and one Magnolia. One is definitely Margaret, while the other three have become Maggie. I was hoping for it for a daughter, but my husband refuses. I grew up with an aunt Margaret (just in her 50's now), so I don't associate it with "old lady" it seems classic to me (which fits our tastes), but it seems "old lady" to my husband. *sigh*

May 11, 2010 10:16 PM

I'm from Louisiana, and I say SOY-yer, LOY-yer, raaather,ING-lish, Kair-in, and Neworlins(NEVER Nawlins or Neworleanz, unless the "New" is dropped, then it's Orleanz)

By Guest (not verified)
August 15, 2010 10:53 AM

Shop the latest styles Juicy Couture handbags, juicy couture tracksuit.
Juicy couture sale, juicy couture outlet,100% quality guarantee.

FashionStyleOnsale offer high quality moncler Jackets at low price.
Moncler Jackets on sale, shop more discount Moncler Vest, Moncler Coats at FashionStyleOnsale

Cheap Chanel bags, Chanel handbags, chanel wallets onsale,
Luxuy handbags, purses, high quality at low price at cobstyle.com.

By Guest (not verified)
August 15, 2010 11:16 AM

Dsquared2discount is the best online Dsquared shop where you can
buy the Dsquared Jacket, Dsquared Jeans, Dsquared Shirt and more.
Dsquared

The most cool online shoes shop where you can find the most fashion designers shoes, include
Manolo Blahnik shoes, Jimmy Choo shoes, Christian Louboutin shoes and more.
we offer high quality highheels at low price.
Manolo Blahnik Shoes
Jimmy Choo Shoes
Manolo Blahnik
Jimmy Choo

Explore the world of erotic lingerie. Find the most erotic lingerie, hot underwear,
babydoll, clubwear, teddies and more.
erotic lingerie

By Guest (not verified)
August 15, 2010 11:21 AM

Shop the latest styles Juicy Couture handbags, juicy couture tracksuit.
Juicy couture sale, juicy couture outlet,100% quality guarantee.

FashionStyleOnsale offer high quality moncler Jackets at low price.

Cheap Chanel bags, Chanel handbags, chanel wallets onsale,
Luxuy handbags, purses, high quality at low price at cobstyle.com.

By Meg (not verified)
September 8, 2011 2:26 PM

I'm an adult (38) woman legally named "Mary Margaret" who goes by Meg. I've always liked the Margaret, just wish--because if computer age--that it was my first name. Rosters and IDs get printed as Mary...when I ask to go by nickname Meg, it doesn't make sense without additional explanation. People also assume I'm Irish (partially true) and Catholic (not).

October 21, 2012 8:24 PM

My cousin's daughter, born in 2011, is Sawyer. She had only heard it one other time as a child's name, and was a little disappointed when I emailed her the top 1000 names of 2011, and she saw Sawyer on both the boys' and the girls' lists. I still think it is uncommon enough that she won't find another Sawyer in her class anytime soon.

By hhh

لتقويه الجهاز المناعى |
خطوره ادويه التنحيف|

مدونه|

صور فساتين سواريه 2013|
فساتين سهرة 2013

December 5, 2013 5:56 AM

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike google seo.

December 16, 2017 7:24 AM

Audi might express A6 inside brilliant pan advertising campaigns

Audi of all the us inc. may well glimmer the [url=https://www.ucnews.in/channel/301]yahoo telugu news[/url] limelight referring to that it is re-designed A6 the middle of sort of sedan in a poster to be shown during the superb dish feb.. 1.

unquestionably the 60 second discover, declared pursuit, showcases actor jerrika Statham known for it's contracts active in the Transporter program, take andThe banking Job race outside of decade to decade to hide from collect. subsequent to striving a few more luxury [url=https://www.ucnews.in/channel/301]hindi movie new[/url] automobiles that can help your boyfriend's short vacation, He settles the actual internet supercharged A6.

Audi s 2008 super run spot it can be first in better 20 long years presented the R8 expensive car indoors a spoof of the movie The Godfather.

regard COMMENTERS: over the last few months, vehicular news or information does offer watched a huge embrace function personal scratches as well as,while abusive posts on our internet sites. we can welcome our anyone in order to really approach the thoughts not to mention argue information. we both trust disagreement. for no reason expect to gain all of our many people to show on additional. in cases where there are duplicated disruptive behavior, we are prohibition all commenter. please help us support a city standard of discourse.

December 16, 2017 7:25 AM

Audi might express A6 inside brilliant pan advertising campaigns

August 4, 2018 5:05 PM

Someone wrote that they say Sawyer as rhyming with lawyer, Saw-yer/law-yer and that they spent some time pronouncing both out loud.  I just did that and now realized that I usually say lawyer as loy-yer not law-yer. I think most people I know say loy-yer not law-yer, though I'm not sure. The name does sounds nice either way to me.

Sawyer is a lovely name and your choice of pronounciation should be respected. I do wonder if the reason someone thinks they dislike the name is because it is one of those names that doesn't trip lightly off the tongue for some of us. Perhaps they find it difficult to pronounce, which it is a bit, if you haven't said the name very often or at all. I think with practice, saying the name will become easier for them and when they become comfortable saying the name, they will come to love and adore the name as much as they all ready love and adore your child.

My dd recently married and I hope and look forward to becoming a grandma someday in the future. Which made me wonder how I might learn to behave myself kindly, if someday  I am faced with having a grandchild whose name, "I don't immediately embrace with affection." Smile. *:)  Yes, I mean what if I am faced with a beloved grandchild being given a name I really can't stand and dislike yet I know I will have to learn to live with the name, as I love my grandchild, no matter what an awful name was bestowed upon them by their loving parents.  I know I sound a bit catty don't I. Please laugh, a bit at least, as I know it may not happen and instead I may just immediately love the names my kids choose for their children. Even then I should remember not to be too thrilled, as some grandparents run out and buy everything they see with a grandchild's name on it, never once thinking whether or not the item is needed or wanted, my mom the great-grandmother will do that. Which makes me wonder what she will be whispering to me if my kids name their kids a name my mom doesn't like. Life is full of enough difficulties without being the cause of more by being overly opinionated when an opinion is not needed, but love is needed. I hope and want to be pleasant and accepting of whatever choices my children make in way of grandchildren names.

I do think that even if I love the names given my grandchildren that I will most likely call them the silly names that both parents and grandparents sometimes do, such as Sunshine, Buttercup or Moonpie (aka Sheldon Cooper), just because that's what we do. We affectionally call our children and grandchildren sweet fun names not ususally because we dislike their given name, but because it's fun, loving and cute to do and may even help with language skills.

Is there an acceptable fun sweet nickname you might allow for granny only?

I've a couple of cousins that our shared grandparents nicknamed, though, I'm not sure why, they didn't nickname all of us cousins. I guess there were just too many of us. I'm also not sure how they came up with the nicknames, but they, grandma and grandpa and occasionally, aunts, uncles and us cousins would call those with nicknames those names rather then their given names, which no one seemed to mind. Nicknames such as BooBear, Bunny and Red (as in hair color), all nicknames were said with love and affection.