There Are Superheroes All Around Us

Aug 6th 2010

Today, I am in a place where everyone has an alter ego. A woman you meet might answer to Kim or Michelle in her everyday life, but she has another identity -- an identity marked not by an ordinary name, but by a title that reflects her special powers: Allergic Girl. Lady M. Naked Jen.

I'm at BlogHer, the massive conference for women who blog. A sample snippet of conversation: "I'm supposed to meet Momfluential for drinks." A sample introduction: "I'm Mary, Weird Girl." (Or, to be fair: "I'm Laura, The Baby Name Wizard.") It's like a Marvel Universe convention for reject superheroes.

At first it felt weird. The more I get used to it, though, the more I like it. Special powers are so much more diverse than x-ray vision and super strength, so why should the boys in tights have all the fun?

Think about it for a minute, and I'll bet you have a super power of your own. What's your secret identity name?

Comments

August 10, 2010 9:46 AM

Hey Everyone! I hope that everyone is well

I have 2 questions that I would really appreciate some feedback on

How would you describe my girl name style? I ''think'' my male & female style is slightly different

These are pretty much the top 30 + or - or the names that I keep on going back to and have all pretty much been names that I have loved since childhood/teens ... so, YEARS . They're the most consistently liked.I won't be offended if you say trendy etc

Luna (loo-nah/nuh)
Eden
Honour (not a creative spelling, how it's spelt in my country)
Charlotte
Carys (KAH-riss)
Scarlett
Savannah
Summer
Isla (EYE-luh)
Piper
Phoebe (FEE-bee),
Penelope (peh-neh-lo-pee),
Arielle (aah -ree-el / R-E-L)
Anastasia (ah-nah-stay-see-ah),
Evangeline (LEEN not line) ,
Blair
(I also love Claire, but took her off the list because of someone)
Maya (MY-uh)
Talulah (tuh-loo-luh)
Sage
Sasha (SUH-sha or long ''a'' SAH-sha .. not the 'a' in apple)
Skye
Laila
Tatum (TAY-tem/tum)
Isabella (ih-sah-behl-luh )
(liked it before Twilight was even written lol )
Camille (KAH - meel)
Arden (ARE-den)
Jade
Jasmine (Jazz-min)
Shannon
Sinead (shee-nayd)
Keira (key-ruh or keer-uh)
Briony (brye-oh-nee)
Sophie
Honour

I put in the phonetics as to how I say it, because I know that accent and accental stress changes how a name can sound .. this was just to give a clearer understanding of were I am coming from

Thank you !

QUESTION2 (that looks like an exam heading, but anyway)

I've been thinking about the name RIPLEY a lot. I used to always consider it as a solely a male name, but I've recently been liking it for a girl as well. I've only come across females named Ripley ... the only male is a dog... all of this has been making me more inclined to consider it unisex

I don't have a problem with unisex names at all ; it depends on the specific name for me. I.E. I prefer Robin,Harper, Elliot,Raven & Cameron for boys. I prefer Bailey,Aubrey, Quinn (not because of Glee - don't even watch Glee) ,Taylor,Jade for girls for example . A lot depends on the exposure that I have of the names . For isntance, I have no problem with a male/female Ashley

My question is, do you think that Ripley is a name that walks the gender boundary line , or does it lean towards a specific gender? Do you think that you could get away with using it on either gender?

Thank you and please forgive the length

August 10, 2010 9:42 AM

Screen name

Honestly, I like the sound of Lark . I like it's connotation . It's cool as a name and it's an interesting animal . I love music , hence the song. You get the saying '' sings like a lark'', so the name ''Larksong'' is basically just a joke about that saying, as well as amusing me

It's corny and silly .... but, hey, it makes me happy.Plus, hippy names are a guilty pleasure ( as well as ancient Greek names)

So, like everything about lark.Like everything about music. It's all good

August 10, 2010 11:08 AM

larksong,
welcome back!

firstly, your tastes are a little all over the place to me, which isn't at all a bad thing, but it does mean that i don't really know what "category" i would put you in...

and ripley makes me think of signourney weaver's character in the alien movies. this may be especially strong for me at the moment, as i just saw aliens for the first time about a week ago. anyway, this isn't a bad association for me: she's a fantastic character, in my opinion. it does make it seem a bit "tougher" than the average name that ends in ley/ly, which is either good or bad, i guess, depending on your preference. but because of the character, i can easily picture it on a girl.

August 10, 2010 11:29 AM

@emilyrae

First of all,thank you for remembering me! Secondly, thank you for replying to my long post

I'm not really quite ''back'' yet. I've just been so busy! But, when I go on holiday (in November), you all will probably be wishing me away!

I generally classify my taste as ''eclectic''. lol

Ripley:
It's a bit of a spunky, strong woman name for me. I could imagine being the name of a ''Kick Butt Chick'' in one of those types of novels
I'm actually really starting to like it :)

LAST QUESTION
I was going to ask this, and then I didn't .... oh well, it's being asked now!

Are Eden (EE-den/dihn) & Arden (ARE-den) too close for sisters? I'm in a bit of 2 minds about this one.It could be perceived as matchy ...but, at the same time , I know when all of my family members get together, everyone's names get mixed up anyway (we're a troop)- even though our names have completely different sounds! HELP!

Thanks everyone

August 10, 2010 1:22 PM

larksong,
haha, eclectic works. :]

ripley is DEFinitely a "kick butt chick" sort of name to me (again, purely because of ellen ripley in alien). as i say though, she's pretty great.

eden and arden are a bit too close for me personally, but it's all up to the individual, right? in other words: it's really your call! :]

August 10, 2010 4:19 PM

@emilyrae

Ironically, I read a book where 1 of the main characters was a female Ripley. This Ripley was a bot of a tomboy and a cop on a small island. :)
I ''think'' Ripley & Piper sound like 3 REALLY spunky sisters :)

Hmmm, I'm erring on the side that Eden & Arden being a tad too similar , also. If you add Dylan - my 1# boy name since a kid (think 10 or 12), that's way too much -en/ihn sound for 3, two-syllable names
At the moment, this is kind of for a story where I am using my fav names. It is , a guilty consideration at the moment :) But, hey, who knows, maybe by the time I have -- which as I get older, the older I want to be when I have kids, maybe the new favorite names are Gertruida & Frederique!

August 10, 2010 5:43 PM

@ Larksong - I think Eden and Arden are too close for siblings, but I'm someone who doesn't like matching endings.

Re Ripley - I know a toddler Ripley (boy). I actually thought of the name as female before knowing him due to the Aliens character, so I can definitely see it go either way.

By Beth the original (not verified)
August 10, 2010 9:59 PM

Larksong,

I'd call your girl-naming style classic eclectic -- you like slightly offbeat names but they are actual names I've heard here and there. I agree about Eden and Arden being too close, though each is pretty on its own. My problems with Ripley are Ripley's Believe it or Not (which would just be a tiresome joke to endure), and Jack the Ripper (more alarming). Well, OK, and Ripple wine. It feels very "boy" to me, nn "Rip."

On Cohen, I guess it's inappropriate to say name the kid Cohen and nickname him "Trayf," eh?

By sarah smile (not verified)
August 10, 2010 10:06 PM

Just to chime in on the Cohen issue: As Miriam pointed out, it's not that Cohen is a name that is only appropriate for Jewish kids, or for Jewish kids from that specific lineage. Cohen is not a first name in the Jewish tradition at all; it is the name of the priesthood and a surname most often associated with that heritage. So I wouldn't hesitate to comment based on the possibility that the child is 'entitled' to that name; I don't think any child is by traditional standards.

That's not to say you shouldn't hesitate for other reasons, like fear of causing more harm than good. Without knowing this woman and your relationship with her, I'm not sure what I'd recommend on that front. This doesn't strike me as something worth risking a friendship over, but if it were me I would definitely want to know about something like this before the kid arrived.

And just to clarify, I was raised in a very secular family and am still nowhere close to being an Orthodox Jew. And while I don't find the idea of a child named Cohen offensive in quite the same way Miriam does, I do find it kind of bizarre. So I wouldn't assume that only ultra-religious Jews would have a negative reaction.

By sarah smile (not verified)
August 10, 2010 10:07 PM

Beth, I posted at the same time and so missed your comment, but I am still laughing. I suppose that is the obvious nickname for Cohen LN the third, isn't it?

August 11, 2010 12:37 AM

Larksong! Hi! In re: Arden and Eden... I don't always find matching sounds to be a dealbreaker, but in this case they match their entire second/ending syllables and I can't think of obvious nicknames that have more distinct sounds, either. Also, Arden in some accents with a light, frequently dropped "r" could start to approach "Ah-den", which is just a miniscule difference away from the EH-den pronunciation that Eden would get in European accents. (I have relatives who drop r's in their European accents.) Most of all, I think they'd get hopelessly tangled up in day-to-day conversation if they're the names that two sisters get called by.

However, I think you could do _____ Arden (called _____) and Eden Middlename (called Eden) (or vice versa) very easily, and then the matchiness is more of a uniting thread that isn't glaringly obvious to everyone, since middle names are much more secret.

By knp
August 11, 2010 2:26 AM

Does anyone know anything about the name Irais? I have a girl (or at least I'm pretty sure) in my class with this name this fall. How do you say it?

August 11, 2010 3:59 AM

Thanks everyone!

@lucubratrix

Good point!

Sigh, I've been in a bit of an ''Arden'' name mood...., but, I'm not willing to sacrifice Eden ... even in a story LOL! Oh well, a girl can dream. Oh well, a person can always hope :) But, I do agree with you all

August 11, 2010 5:47 AM

KNP: Irais could be creative version of Iris. According to the ever reliable Wikipedia it is a commune (district) in Western France. Maybe (s)he has French heritage? Then it would be pronounced i-ray. I think.

By Eo (not verified)
August 11, 2010 4:47 PM

Nice to see you again, Larksong!

This might have occurred to you already, but I wonder if the name "Ardyth/Ardith" would appeal to you as well? It sort of unites similar, old elements, as does "Arden", yet gives you more of a desired contrast with "Eden". I've encountered a teenage "Ardyth" who was in fact, interesting and "arty"!

A whole other, mythological direction could be "Artemis"-- I rather like it with "Eden", actually...

By Portia (not verified)
August 11, 2010 7:01 PM

This is my alter ego. My given name is a very late-'80s name, androgynous & spunky (let's just say between Carly and Taylor). My alter ego is drawn from Shakespeare, elegant and mature and very feminine. I go for more "classics" than boyish names when thinking about possible names for my children (Madeleine, Greta, Cecily), who will most likely all be born this decade; but I do see the appeal of '30s girls names like Nancy and George.

(d@mn you, "captcha"! acute accent over the a in some Inca word? really?!)

By Pamela S (not verified)
August 11, 2010 7:59 PM

RPGs = Rocket Propelled Grenades ???

By Larksong nli (not verified)
August 12, 2010 5:06 AM

@Eo

Thanks ! Ardith is definitely interesting. It's got a really light feel to it. It's not quite ''me'',though, It could grow on me. It's a name that I'll file away for a story
Thank you for the suggestion - I love discovering new names

RE:IRAIS
Absolutely no idea! Sorry

I'd really appreciate it if you could help me categorise the male name favs; the parameters of style lol ... aside from same-letter inclined

These are the default names.The names that I have loved for the longest (YEARS) and always land up going back to

In no particular order

Seth
Callum
Chase
Cameron
Ross
Nolan
Keiran KEER-ihn it is just more practical than the traditional spelling Ciaran
Kian said KEY-in same as above
Keegan
Reilly
Sawyer
Harper
Lawson
Larkin LAR-kin
Lorcan lore-ken
Arden

Thank you!

Sorry for the delay in posting . I tried to post 3 times yesterday & once already today, but for some reason the post is not going through , Weird
It doesn't show that it has gone through

Girl names that I really like, but never put in the list, are Poppy,Willow,Ember & Bailey ..... they haven't been liked as long as the others

Also, has anyone else noticed this
It seems like in paranormal/fantasy novels, often the names are spelled in a non-traditional manner i.e. Faythe or Sebastyein .... any ideas as to why?

By Larksong nli (not verified)
August 12, 2010 5:08 AM

Arden & Eden nicknames

It would have been something like:
E & Ari or Eeds & Ari

or, you could always go for A & E , I suppose! Those are probably good nicknames for children of a lexicographer

By Larksong nli (not verified)
August 12, 2010 5:29 AM

Sorry,

ASHER
&
WEST were supposed to be in the list

By Larksong nli (not verified)
August 12, 2010 5:36 AM

and

JAMIE

''sigh'''

By Larksong nli (not verified)
August 12, 2010 6:42 AM

and

AUGUST

last added addition!

By Kristina (not verified)
August 12, 2010 11:00 AM

Re: Cohen

I had no idea there was any controversy over the name until now. A girl at my kids' school, Analeina, has a younger brother named Cohen. If I were to use it, I would consider it a tribute to Leonard Cohen.
Forgive my ignorance, but since the child in question's family is NOT Jewish, how can the restriction apply to them?
For example: I'm a French-Canadian Roman Catholic. I would never dream of calling my child Jesus, but if I were Latin American, it would be a perfectly acceptable name.

Re: superheor names
My husband is a superhero fanatic, and quite appropriately, shares his name with one. He is Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool from Marvel Comics. :)

August 12, 2010 12:35 PM

Using your example, Kristina, like you, as an Anglo-Catholic (which is what I am), I would not dream of naming my baby Jesus. However, since I live in the American southwest, I do not blink at someone being Jesus (assuming is it pronounced as Hay-soos - bad phonetics). As you point out, it is a common Hispanic name.

That said, if I met a non-practicing Buddhist who named their son Jesus (any pronunciation) then claimed they just liked the sound of it (and didn't know that it was a major religious figure), I would honestly think it was bizarre. I think others, though, would find it offensive. And still others would shrug it off as no big deal.

I do not want to give my baby a name that causes offense. I think there is a big difference between *scrunchy nose* "Edith, really?" and truly offending others. Just my opinion.

August 13, 2010 11:13 AM

ladyphlogiston is very much my alter-ego -
i use it everywhere online, and have for a long time. It's a convenient choice because it's never already taken. when we got married, my husband started using lordphlogiston.

By Joanna (not verified)
August 15, 2010 10:42 AM

I have a few online alter-egos. There's my blog, where I'm known as Jo (short form of my name), or I'm sometimes called "the girl with the pretty life". Then there's my email/online name (kilnashee) which I`ve been using since I was 16 (got it from a book. It`s an anglicised spelling of a gaelic phrase). Then my yahoo and flickr identity is "pyesinn", which relates to a place in a book I was writing at one time. I`m a little too fond of puns, I think.

Can`t comment on the Cohen discussion, not being Jewish or knowing anyone who is. But I do know a little guy with Cohen as his second middle name.

By Guest (not verified)
August 15, 2010 10:56 AM

Shop the latest styles Juicy Couture handbags, juicy couture tracksuit.
Juicy couture sale, juicy couture outlet,100% quality guarantee.

FashionStyleOnsale offer high quality moncler Jackets at low price.
Moncler Jackets on sale, shop more discount Moncler Vest, Moncler Coats at FashionStyleOnsale

Cheap Chanel bags, Chanel handbags, chanel wallets onsale,
Luxuy handbags, purses, high quality at low price at cobstyle.com.

August 18, 2010 12:49 PM

These are just some stage name. The birth name remains for life. Allergic Girl I think it may take two or three years.piese auto import

By moncler (not verified)
August 21, 2010 2:06 AM

Moncler Gamme Bleu series seems to be bound up with bike culture. This not only shows in its design but also the pattern printed in the clothes. In this series, designer put in leggings to match some clothes. This point arouses great controversy in public. It is common that ladies wear leggings to match their long shirts or short dresses. If a man put on a legging, he looks a little feminization. Somebody do not agree with this. They thought men also should be fashionable. Wearing leggings is not the right of ladies, but also the fashion of men`s. In recent years, many clothes have been more neutralize. Men are paying more and more attention to their dressing. Creations in men`s dressing are more and more diversified. Fashion is such kind of thing that at first it will arouse controversy and with acceptance from more and more people it will be popular. Maybe one day there will be more neutralized clothes that men and women can try together.http://www.BuyMoncler.net/

By steve (not verified)
September 14, 2010 9:36 PM

Fall is a really beautiful season, it is cool and fresh. Then as a juicy girl, you should prepare for it. So here we have provided you with fall vintage juicy couture diaper bag. The vintage classy juicy couture daydreamer collection takes into consideration the latest designs and patterns and is therefore always in sync with the latest in fashion.Despite juicy couture diaper bag has been in trouble because of the slogans they use, then you never adhere to any slogan.

By Supra shoes (not verified)
September 19, 2010 3:47 AM

Each Supra shoes has the unique individuality, in addition to have the impressive semblance, pays great attention to the performance of Supra Footwear, its special quakeproof system can better protect your both feet. I've ordered Supra Skytop from http://www.supraskytopsale.com/ several times in the past, and as with this order Supra TK Society was very pleased with the handling process and quality of the product. Have always had good experiences with Supra Sneakers store.

By Mommy of Cohen (not verified)
October 19, 2010 2:40 PM

I have been reading all of the comments concerning the girl who has a friend who is pregnant and whether or not to mention anything about her name choice..."Cohen". I have a very personal connection to this issue. MY SON'S NAME IS ACTUALLY, "COHEN". He was born in 2007. We had heard when he was born that it was indeed a jewish last name and is not used as a first name, but we liked the sound. We are not jewish. We also like the idea of last names as first names. We never meant any disrespect by choosing this name and actually live in a city that has a higher Jewish population than some. I am writing to get more feedback, since this issue is MY personal issue. Since reading this my husband and I have felt badly about going in so blindly about our name choice, but at the same time a name "becomes" a person and now at 3, our son IS "Cohen" and we still love his name. We aren't calling him a priest and had not thought we were being inappropriate. We are both educated people and do search things beforehand, but had not found anything this negative concerning the name before naming him. Anyways...if you were in my shoes, what would you do? I do NOT want to cause discomfort for my son in the future if this is a problem. We have considered changing his spelling to "Coen", which is German and means brave. This would be the same name when pronounced, but would be weird to change even that little bit. Please be kind and considerate if you respond.

By Mommy of Cohen (not verified)
October 19, 2010 3:15 PM

To Kristina(Aug 12) I agree with this point...Jesus vs. Cohen. This is a good point. Should Cohen still be considered inappropriate if you aren't Jewish? Jesus is the perfect example to compare that to. I am a Spanish teacher and have heard the latin name Jesus alot through my years of traveling, etc. I've never been offended by it and I am a conservative Christian.

By title:lebron james shoes (not verified)
November 19, 2010 11:23 AM

New season,new team,new city,same dream.NBA 2010-2011 have start,we believe lebron james will give beatifull game with his nike lebron james viii,he alway play very well,give many crasy too people,many people are the lebron's fans,they also like nike lebron james vii,nike lebron james vii ps,nike lebron james vii low.and now Rondo became more and more powerfull,he play very well,nike have been cooperate with he,nike zoom hyperfuse is the new shoes!

By title:lebron james shoes (not verified)
November 19, 2010 11:25 AM

March 23, 2013 5:31 AM

Reneuve, a supplement sold online, supposedly lengthens telomeres by giving users an extra-large dose of telomerase supplement. You won't see telomerase in the list of ingredients, but Reneuve does offer "select proprietary glandular extracts" from pig thymuses that provide "enough telomerase enzyme for the cellular infrastructure of one adult."

By hhh