If the Shoe (Name) Fits...

Oct 27th 2011

Walking through a warehouse-style shoe store, I couldn't help but notice how many of the shoeboxes bore women's names. The DKNY "Sophie" flat; the The Mephisto "Alison" mary jane. Why those names and not others? What kind of names do shoemakers choose most? And do certain names match certain shoes?

To find out, I turned to a vast shoe data depository: Zappos.com. I searched Zappos for shoe models named for 100 different popular girls' names. (More methodology detail below.)

The top female shoe names:

1. Bella
2. Madison
3 (tie). Chloe
   Olivia
5. Naomi
6 (tie). Julia
   Bailey
8 (tie). Maya
   Taylor
   Kimberly
   Sadie
   Avery

And the popular names with the fewest shoe namesakes (tied at zero):

Stella
Angelina
Valeria
Nevaeh
Aaliyah
Madeline
Gabrielle
Kaitlyn
Katelyn
Aubrey

Some definite trends emerge. The popular shoe names names are visually simpler. They're shorter on average, with standard spellings and mostly straightforward pronunciations. It's definitely about visual/written impact -- the number of syllables in the spoken name doesn't correlate with shoe namesakes at all.

The chosen names are vowel heavy as well. Names ending in a vowel sound averaged 1 1/2 more shoe namesakes than names ending in a consonant sound. That might seem to point to a preference for clearly feminine names, but androgynous usage doesn't turn out to be an issue. Notice, for instance, names like Bailey and Taylor in the top 10.

I also found some differences in the kinds of names given to infants' and kids' shoe models vs. women's. Kids' shoe names are, well, cuddlier. More Bellas and Emmas, fewer Averys and Vanessas.

And now for the finding that surprised me most: they shoemakers aren't choosing very well. I can say this with confidence because there's almost no relationship between the style of name and the style of shoe. I routinely found the same name being applied to spangly flip-flops, sleek leather boots, comfort walking shoes, and leopard-print platform stilettos. For a typical example, here are the three models of shoes called Scarlett:

(Images above are from the Scarlett shoes available for purchase at Zappos.com.)

Now, I can see that there could be value in naming against type. If you're creating a comfort walking shoe, for instance, you might want to avoid comfy, old-fashioned names to keep the words "old lady shoe" far from buyers' minds. But if you're delivering a black, studded, high-heeled cross between a cowboy boot and a motorcycle boot, what the heck does a name like Emma or Amelia do for you? And why would your competitors turn around and apply that same name to an espadrille?

With their apparently random shoe-name matches, the shoemakers aren't using the names to signal ANYTHING about their products. Isn't that a waste of a good name?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Shoe name methodology:

I looked at the the 100 most popular names for girls in the U.S., after eliminating: names that could be chosen by marketers based on non-name meanings, such as Serenity and London; the name Mary because of thousands of search results for the "mary jane" style of shoes; and the name Eva because search results included the thousands of models with EVA insoles.

Model (not brand) names of women's and girls' shoes (not slippers) were counted at Zappos. Exact spelling matches only. A shoe family (multiple colors, fabrics, etc.) counted as just one model. The name had to be used as a first name, so "Mamma Mia" didn't score for Mia, or "Madison Avenue" for Madison.

And a final note: don't try this at home. Not only was my head swimming after many hours of squinting to tell shoe models apart, but I'm now at serious risk of spending $300 on a really awesome pair of Sophia boots.

Comments

November 2, 2011 1:27 PM

Oh alr, tears of joy for you are forming at the corners of my eyes. What a lovely sweet story. So glad you shared and that everything is working out for you. X Best wishes on your safe return to the states X (those X's are my fingers being crossed for ya)

By hyz nli (not verified)
November 2, 2011 1:35 PM

alr, congratulations! I absolutely love the names, and such a sweet story to go with it. Hope you are able to enjoy your trip and have a safe and happy journey home!

By OvenMitt (not verified)
November 2, 2011 2:10 PM

I notice "names" for clothing and shoes all the time. It's interesting to see what styles are given my own name (Leah), and whether or not I would actually fancy them. I kept seeing my newest daughter's name, Vivian, assigned to several handbags and dresses when I flipped through fashion mags during my pregnancy. I took it as a sign, especially after discovering (on this website!), that my other option was far too popular for my taste. Life imitating (retail) art, or pure coincidence?

November 2, 2011 2:17 PM

Wonderful news, alr! I LOVE Naomi Violet and Henry Courtland! Best of luck to you traveling such long distances with small children, and all the best once you're back stateside. I look forward to hearing how you all are doing.

OvenMitt, what was your other option?

By OvenMitt (not verified)
November 2, 2011 3:09 PM

Elizabeth, it was Evelyn. My two older daughters are named Gwendolyn and Carolyn, so since we sort of created a pattern, I wanted to stick with it. But Evelyn is the 54th most popular name in the country, while Vivian is at 207. I guess I wanted vintage-sounding names that are familiar yet not overused. I was also thinking about all the Maddies, Kinsies and Aidens that are so in fashion in my area, and wanting to go against that grain. Anyways, I'd heard of a couple of Evelyns (shortened to Evie) while I was pregnant, and seeing the name's ranking only further solidified my choice. Sorry for the long reply, although I'm sure you find peoples' motivations behind choosing names for their children fascinating if you're on this site!

November 2, 2011 4:32 PM

Phaedra
Quetzali
Roskelyn
Seraph

By Kern (not verified)
November 2, 2011 4:37 PM

ALR and Lucubatrix, congratulations to both of you! I love all three names.

November 2, 2011 4:47 PM

alr and lucubratrix: Congratulations to you both! I'm so excited for all of you and your families!

kakicloud:
Combining an Oliver/Sebastian lover with a Christopher/Logan lover...

Alexander and Silas come first to mind (and yes, they've been suggested). How about Nicholas? Yes, it ends with S, and the last name starts with S, but S is a letter that can take it quite easily, and the flow is good.

November 2, 2011 4:48 PM

emilyrae, about candy names:

I ended up with Johnutty Buddies (Cute little Johns, now with extra nuttiness).

Emilumpies are fine.

November 3, 2011 1:43 AM

Oh, alr, I'm so happy for you! I've been rooting for Violet all along and it's such a... self-validating... feeling when you realize that you've known in your gut what was right all along.

November 3, 2011 7:33 AM

For those playing the game, I've noticed a few of you have put Lysander in the appropriate spot. In the past we all have expressed unreasonable or irrational reactions to certain names that we would thus never use. Lysander is one of those for me. It comes across to me as something of a cross between Lysol (a cleaning product) and Alexander. There is also more of a "sand" sound rather then the "zand" that is in Alexander. Lysander just comes off as an odd name for me.

November 3, 2011 9:12 AM

I love Lysander as a name, but would never use it for the same reason I would never name a child Macbeth. As much as I love Shakespeare and really respect him, I wouldn't give a child a name from a play he'll be forced to read in his high school English class and is only ever associated with that particular play by the general public.

If I was going for Shakespearean names, I think I would choose one a little more mainstream like Sebastian, Demetrius & Oberon (also from Midsummer Night's Dream), Duncan, Henry, Richard, Edmund, Laurence, Malcolm, Marcus, Ferdinand, Orlando, Prospero (?), Robin, Stephano, Toby, Valentine

Or for girls: Miranda, Bianca, Katherine, Beatrice, Olivia, Celia, Cressida (She's a title character, but I'd never heard of the play - probably passes the high school english test), Desdemona (only because many possible nicknames can easily shield her from Othello), Emilia, Helena, Imogen, Marina, Ophelia, Viola, Paulina, Portia, Rosalind

An interesting name I found was Perdita. To me, she'll always be first and foremost the mother dog in 101 Dalmatians. Also, translated directly from Spanish, it means "lost little girl" but I find myself strangely attracted to the name.

I suppose people are starting to embrace Romeo and especially Juliet/Juliette, so maybe Lysander has a chance.

How I picked names: I went through the list of Shakespeare characters on Wikipedia and tried to choose main/important characters with "modern" names that whisper Shakespeare instead of scream it. These aren't necessarily my favorite names, just potential real Shakespeare babies. I excluded (mostly) characters that come directly from history or mythology (Ie. most characters from Antony and Cleopatra, Troilus and Cressida, King Lear, Richard III, Henry VII &etc.) Go through the list yourself, there's a whole bunch of really interesting names!

November 3, 2011 11:04 AM

@alr, big congratulations on meeting Henry and Naomi finally! I love the story of how you chose Naomi's mn - so sweet. And Henry's name is very dashing. Best of luck with the rest of your stay in Africa and your trip home with your newest little ones.

I'm adoring reading all these lists and seeing the variability in them. @Tirzah, yours was spot-on for your style. Fantastic!

@zoerhenne, your assessment of Lysander is hilarious. Alexander + Lysol. I personally like it, but Laszlo is my #1 L name so I could never abandon it. :)

November 3, 2011 11:08 AM

fancynancy, I have recently met a teeny Puck (of the Shakespeare, not the hockey) variety. I am told that the name was chosen for the Shakespeare association and because it contains letters from both parents' names. Puck's middle name is 0ri0n, and his arrival was announced in his own personal Playbill--so clever and so adorable. After all, the play's the thing--and he's the star (well, a whole constellation of them).

November 3, 2011 11:09 AM

fancynancy-Other names that sound odd to me but are perfectly acceptable names for use:
Imogen=sounds like imagine; great meaning but not for me
Helena=because of the Hell beginning
Desdemona(or just Mona)=because of the moan sound
Regina/Reginald=don't like the reg sound and there are some who would pronounce it with a long I sound to rhyme with a body part and that would freak me out

I'm sure there are others and many different ones for different people. Names are such individual things.

November 3, 2011 11:10 AM

this is a bit belated but I just wanted to introduce myself since I've been posting a lot lately although I've been reading for years and posting sporadically but I've got a lot more free time on my hands these days yay! Any way, just wanted to say Hi and I love reading everyones comments and thoughts/opinions on names.

I remember when I read A Midsummer Night's Dream the very first time, I was in love with the name Lysander but it's sort of lost it's pizazz with time but I still think it's a nice name. I think Lysander was also the name of a famous Spartan too so it's not just a star-crossed lover!

A few other Shakespeare names that I can think of to add to fancynancy's list that are less conspicuous are: Cordelia, Hermia, Horatio, Puck (since Glee has sort of taken it), Cassandra, Claudio, Isabella, Lennox, Octavia, Paris, Phebe, Regan, Titania, Bertram, Sampson, Benedick

Shakespeare names I would never use: Malvolio, Caliban, Iago, Hecate, Hippolyta, Rosencrantz...and Guildenstern

Shakespeare names that are a bit out there but I like: Fleance, Laertes, Petruchio, Mustardseed (I'm not sure why I like this one but I do, for a pet or as a nn)

November 3, 2011 12:03 PM

Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions!
It's amazing how many good names have to be taken off the table because of a random bad association or because a close family member already has it. Patrick and Nicholas are names that I really like, but we each have one male cousin. One is Patrick and the other is Nicholas. Alas.
Your suggestions reinvigorated our name discussion, which was helpful. So far we've added Owen, Evan, Isaac, Elliott, and Lincoln to the list of possibles. I'm not in love with all of them, but we'll see how they feel in a couple of months.
It's funny to me that names seem to be one of the few subjects that everyone has a strong opinion about. I've spent hours and hours thinking about names since I was a kid and my husband hasn't thought about them probably for one hour total, but we have equally strong preferences. I'm thrilled to have this forum to entertain my obsession!

November 3, 2011 1:27 PM

Essy and kakicloud-I for one am happy to have you both on board (pun intended) and am happy to entertain any and all requests for help. It is my obsession too!

Essy-Strangely enough Laertes doesn't sound as strange to me ears as Lysander. I could make a twinset of Layla/Laertes hypothetically.

November 3, 2011 1:29 PM

zoerhenne:

Ha! I'll be honest, Lysander is my choice because I wanted something a little more relaxed than Lyzandred.

(I've got a slight issue with Desdemona, too, but it's because of the "demon".)

November 3, 2011 2:20 PM

Miriam - I seriously considered adding Puck to my list, but I figure that right now, people would assume he's a Glee Puck instead of a Shakespeare Puck. But yay that's so exciting that there really is a baby Shakespeare Puck! And I love the playbill idea! Those are some really creative parents.

Essy - I definitely saw all those names and the only reason I didn't add them to my list was because they weren't main characters in Shakespeare's plays. And I'm totally on the boat with Laertes (didn't include because it isn't "mainstream") but it could totally work on a real modern-day kid without being rotten in Denmark.

Actually, Hamlet is full of great names. I don't know that I could actually get behind giving a kid the name Hamlet, but if I had to choose between Hamlet and Macbeth, it would totally be Hamlet.

Other characters: Hamlet, Gertrude, Claudius, Polonius, Ophelia, Horatio, Laertes, Voltimand, Cornelius, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, Osric, Marcellus, Bernardo, Francisco, Reynaldo, Fortinbras

Of these, I especially like Horatio, Laertes, Osric, and for some reason I have a soft spot for Fortinbras.

By AC (not verified)
November 3, 2011 3:09 PM

I am of the generation where Puck is an unlikeable reality star from "real world: san francisco" so can never like it, no matter how many times I see and enjoy a Midsummer Night's Dream. Ugh, he was disgusting. Or at least, edited to seem disgusting.

By AC (not verified)
November 3, 2011 3:11 PM

And meant to add that my favorite Shakespearean names are Benedick and Beatrice because they are my favorite characters :)

November 3, 2011 3:44 PM

zoerhenne - thanks, I appreciate the welcome =) I love that twinset they are similar but not TOO similar! I would definitely pick Laertes over Lysander. I also like the name Laird, has a similar beginning sound to Laertes - but I'm not a huge fan of one syllable names they always feel cut short. Thoughts on Laird?

fancynancy - ooh I forgot about Fortinbras, that is a good name, and Fort could be a cute nn - too bad the ending had to end is "bras" - A potential alternative to Hamlet is Hamnet. My favourite part of reading Shakespeare in school was all the names, thanks for starting up the topic enjoyed it immensely!

November 3, 2011 5:03 PM

Essy-Laird could not work as well because of the inevitable teasing potential it has (too close to lard). I think though that I remember someone I grew up with having this name. I will have to look them up now.
I feel the same way about many one syl names. I like them short with 2 syl more. Matt, Max, Scott are okay. But Cole, Jack, Paul are not for me. Adam, Eric, Alex, David are quite nice.

New post up-moving over there.

By Sharalyn (not verified)
November 9, 2011 12:20 PM

I know I'm coming late to the game, but here are my choices:
Alexander (already have one!)
Benjamin & Charlotte
Daphne, Evangeline (have one!), Felicia
Gryphon (oh wait, that's my husband's name), Hamish (H was hard!)
Isabeth
Jameson (husband's first name is really James, so it actually works!), Kieran
Liam, Matthew, Nathanael, Oliver
Persephone, Quinn, Ruthann, Sophia

the reverse:
Anneliese
Bronwyn, Chandler
Donovan, Edward (family name), Finnegan
Gabriella, Helena
Ian
Julia, Katherine
Laura, Margaret, Nora, Olivia
Peter, Quinton, Richard, Stephen

The reverse was far harder for the boys. Although a few of them were automatic, most of the ones chosen are just because I had to choose one for that letter. Also, I would never get my husband to agree to many of these. :-)

November 16, 2011 3:56 AM

But see...he's our son not yours so it's not your choise & your opinion means nothing here. God gave us him & the will power to decide his name ourself. It's not a "mashup" it derives from RIOT but people like yourself have already made such an impact so as we spell it differently. If you don't like it then do NOT read it. How would you feel if someone downed you for having your name? You wouldn't appreciate it would you? I'm sure your parents wouldn't either & I always like the name Zoe but every girl i went to school with got picked on because of it. What if I imply IN PUBLIC like y'all seem to have fun doing that Zoe is a targeted name? Our generation may a bit silly but we gotta learn someway right? We're supposed to be raised up AGAINST the gossip life. The next child we have though we'll be sure to name something extremely popular like Chris or Crystle maybe? Or maybe even Stephanie or Jonathan? We wanted somethin unique. Sorry to disapoint you.

By hhh

شيرى عادل 2013

منة شلبي 2013

رولا سعد 2013

زينب العسكري 2013

نرمين زعزع

July 23, 2013 3:42 PM

So why is that you don't believe that is a suitable name? Because you're not used to hearing it or because it's not a big deal where you're from? I don't know if this particular site was made to bash names I mean...what's your childs name or do you just wish you did have children? 'Sounds like that to me. It's the parents' decision not yours. Just say it over & over in your mind. Maybe that'll make it seem more common kinda like the name Nancy. :-) Just sayin'.

July 23, 2013 3:46 PM

No it's original :-) It's also the first in the word. Unfortunately when googled, the negagtive feedback is one of the first things you may see lol. It's ok...people can get over it. We just wanted a unique name. We actually were considering a surname if the time comes, we have a daughter- Louisianna as my Grandmothers name was Louise.

July 23, 2013 3:49 PM

It's also not your place to Judge. Maybe we didn't want our child to have a name that's been heard. Maybe we just wanted it to be different. I can't until we have another just to watch the people go off on here with their disapproval :-) Good times

November 28, 2013 6:36 AM

Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the challenges. It was definitely informative. Your site is useful. Many thanks for sharing! limo san francisco

January 8, 2014 10:45 PM

Howdy! This blog post could not be written much better! Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching about this. I most certainly will send this post to him. Fairly certain he's going to have a great read. I appreciate you for sharing! click

February 4, 2015 8:31 AM

Very interesting post I'm just wondering that the brands of shoes can also be used to make name of the child. Thanks for sharing this.

-> gain targeted twitter followers

October 1, 2015 10:10 AM

Hey friends searching for some fun than visit http://www.pakistanimodels.com.pk/