Most Popular Baby Names By State, 2011

May 19th 2012

In this roundup of hot names around America, the boys' chart gives the best sense of the country's regional diversity. Some notable examples:

Massachusetts: 1. William 1. Benjamin 3. Jacob

Washington Mason Liam Alexander
West Virginia Mason Jacob Landon
Wisconsin Mason Liam William
Wyoming William Jacob Jackson

Comments

May 20, 2012 3:57 AM

I find it odd that the boys' lists are more diverse than the girls'.  I noticed this last year, too.  Just the effect of regional traditions being more strong for boys, or something else?

By Edith Bouvier Beale (not verified)
May 20, 2012 11:34 AM

What's the story with Carter in Iowa? It's #41 nation-wide, but #1 there. There's an important stadium there--Carver Hawkeye Arena--where the Univ. of Iowa hosts football games, and I know of at least one little Carver named in it's honor. Could Carter echo that? That seems kind of far-fetched. Other possibilities?

May 20, 2012 1:36 PM

Utah naming stats never let me down. That state truly is a naming cornacopia. The 36th most popular name for girls is Paisley and then the one that really left me scratching my head was number 69 for girls, Oakley. Would you consider this a luxery brand name in the same category as Bentley, Chanel or Armani? Does anyone know a real baby girl Oakley?

By J&H's mom (not verified)
May 20, 2012 2:29 PM

I don't know any Oakleys, but I've seen it on other naming sites in polls.

I don't think the moms using it associate it with the sunglasses.

I'm not sure where it started, but I think it's stylistically similar to Berkley, Presley, et. al...I can't associate it with anything other than poison oak, but that's probably a regional concern!

I have to say I'm gobsmacked by Mason. It's number one in my state, and I don't feel like I know any baby Masons. Btw, has anyone accounted for the Elsie jump? Similar to Ellie but appeals to traditionalists, perhaps?

By Delia (not verified)
May 20, 2012 2:44 PM

I'd guess Oakley refers to Annie Oakley, the sharpshooter who toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Perhaps a choice for fans of the 2nd Amendment?

By Sarah_SR (not verified)
May 20, 2012 6:02 PM

I was asking the same question about Iowa, but for the number 3 name: Owen. It's my 4-year old son's name, and I follow it's popularity closely - it's only 44 nationwide this year (peak so far) and we've never met another Owen his age or younger. What's up with Iowa??

By J&H's mom (not verified)
May 20, 2012 11:42 PM

Now, see-I feel like I hear Owen more than the top ones. :)

Out of curiousity, I looked up Oakley at another site. Guess what? Polls were almost equally divided among boy and girl babies. Many pollsters insisted it was a boys' name.

People using it on girls said it was unique and pretty. People using it on boys said it was trendy and modern and western.

So, maybe it's part of the preppy cowboy trend, but it has appeal to both genders? Trendy cowgirl? That's my analysis!

By Andrea 2 (not verified)
May 21, 2012 9:08 AM

There's quite a bit of regional diversity in the girls' names when you look at the top 10 in each state:

Amelia is No. 10 in Alaska and Vermont but isn't that high anywhere else. Charlotte is No. 9 in New Hampshire and No. 10 in Massachusetts, but nowhere near that high elsewhere. Mary is No. 10 in Mississippi, but is ranked below 100 nationally. Nevaeh is No. 4 in New Mexico and is the only state where it ranks in the top 10, much less the top 5. You can see the Mexican influence in Texas, where Sofia is in the top 10 along with Sophia. In Texas Camila, a very popular name in Mexico and with Hispanic Americans, is among the top 10. Aubrey appears to be more popular in the Southern states than elsewhere, since it is in the top 10 in Louisiana and Mississippi. Harper seems to be a major hit in the Midwest, where it is in the top 10 in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska, higher than in other regions. Wikipedia has a list of the top 10 names for each state going back to 2008.

As for the boys' names, Carter has been quite popular for several years in the Midwestern states. I'm not sure why, though I'd guess it had something to do with John Carter from the TV show "E.R." Wyatt and Mason have also been quite popular in North Dakota for many years. I type honor rolls for my paper for North Dakota high school and there are a lot of teenage boys named Wyatt here.

By jaa (not verified)
May 21, 2012 10:14 AM

I have a 4-month old son named William, and when we decided on that name for him I was concerned about its top 5 status. When I looked at the state breakdowns for the name, though, it was surprising to me how it seems to be more prevalent in the southeastern states. It's only #17 in my state (TX), but in all the southeastern states except FL, it's #1 and has been for at least a decade. I know it's a classic name, but I just wonder why it's so overwhelmingly popular in the southeast. Any ideas?

By jaa (not verified)
May 21, 2012 10:21 AM

I have a 4-month-old William, and when I was considering names for him last year, it was striking to me how William was particularly prevalent in the southeastern states. I mean, it's in the top 20 pretty much everywhere (#17 in my state), but it's #1 in every southeastern state except Florida, and has been for over a decade. Anyone have an idea why that is?

By Andrea 2 (not verified)
May 21, 2012 10:40 AM

It's always interested me that William seems to be so popular in the South, too. Maybe people in those states just like more classic names for boys. Henry seems to be more popular in Washington D.C. and in some of the eastern states too, though that may have more to do with a lot of Yuppies living there. Henry strikes me as a very Yuppie name.

By CharlieInAZ (not verified)
May 21, 2012 3:54 PM

I suspect the Oakleys in Utah are being named after Elder Dallin Oaks. He's the current president of BYU and an apostle in the LDS church.  I know several teenaged LDS boys named Dallin.  Oakley sounds more modern, up-to-date and can used for either boys or girls.

By Valerie #2 (not verified)
May 22, 2012 1:13 PM

Very intriguing, especially on the boys' list!

Actually, I have met a little girl named Oakley (somewhere in the toddler region). She has a sister named Cecilia, an Italian mother, and a half-Asian American father, living in an educated area of Virginia.

I thought it was a very weird combination, so I actually asked them where the name Oakley came from. I think they said they just liked it. ::shrug::

May 22, 2012 3:08 PM

I'm from Louisiana (where the number 1 name this year is Mason). I think the prevalence of William in the southeast is influenced by the fact that it is still a strong tradition in this region to give baby boys at least one name that has family significance.  William has been a very popular name for more than 100 years so that increases the probability of it being a family name somewhere along the way (it's on several branches of my own family tree).  And while the same could be said for other classics, William is the one with the popular modern sounding nickname Liam and I suspect that gives William a large advantage (over say Thomas with it's not currently in style nickname Tommy) when parents are considering otpions from their family trees.

By Manda (not verified)
May 22, 2012 4:11 PM

I wonder if these William's are being called William, or go by middle names instead.  I'm from Alabama, and generations of men in my family are named William X, and are called by their middle name.  I know just one person called William, and he is in his 30s.

May 23, 2012 6:44 PM

i knew an Oakley in 1986 in Florida, they called her Oakey or Okefenokee (like the place) but her real name was Oakley, a very southern family. i remember they manufactured or sold air-boats!

By RB
May 25, 2012 12:29 PM

Speaking of Oakley and Utah, I was just talking to my husband this morning and wondering if Romney would take off as a first name (whether or not he gets elected). The style fits a bit with the western vibe and could be unisex. I wouldn't necessarily think it would be a tribute thing, just that the sound might appeal.

I know presidential names are "out" these days (except for long-dead presidents, who are probably not the main reference point for the name in most cases, cf. McKinley, Madison, Jackson, Harrison, Wilson, Lincoln, and now even Nixon, apparently!), so perhaps NOT getting elected would do more for the name?!

(BTW, it's fascinating to look at the graphs on for the first and last names of presidents. Their election could reliably cause a spike in either or both of the names until the late 20th century. There were even kids named Hoover. I'm sure I remember Laura doing a post on this a few years ago.)

By Mitch Barit (not verified)
May 26, 2012 3:54 AM

Name gives only identification to the human. every name is same.   vpn

By Beth the original (not verified)
May 26, 2012 1:30 PM

20 years from now, all the Sophias are going to have self-invented nicknames, like the Jennifers of the 70s.  So instead of Jenn, Jen, Jenni, Jennie, Genyphyr (I kid you not, I know one), there will be Soph, Sofe, Zo, Fia, Fee, Fifi, and so on.  I see this happening already.

May 29, 2012 1:43 PM

@Andrea2:

"Yuppie"? I think all those who used to be termed "yuppies" are long past their child-bearing years. Their kids are now in their teens and twenties.

August 20, 2012 10:56 PM

After this list is published, parents would think twice about naming their babes sophia or michael. This piece gives parents something to think about when naming their kids. Some names are just overdone.

February 4, 2013 5:04 AM

Really can affect a parent's decision of giving names to babies. Unless, there will be a sudden changes to the list, for sure, parents will likely to think in going over the preferred names of the majority.

January 10, 2014 6:18 PM

It's number one in my state, and I don't feel like I know any baby Masons. Btw, has anyone accounted for the Elsie jump.   accumulator

January 18, 2014 6:02 AM

That Biblical reference made it an occasional, obscure choice of American parents for generations.   biggest rabbit vibrator

January 23, 2014 12:41 PM

The 36th most popular name for girls is Paisley and then the one that really left me scratching my head was number 69 for girls, Oakley.   mens pea coat

January 27, 2014 5:34 AM

The style fits a bit with the western vibe and could be unisex. I wouldn't necessarily think it would be a tribute thing, just that the sound might appeal.   descargar ares

February 3, 2014 3:27 AM

inding the perfect name for your baby really is harder today than it's ever been before. Baby Name Wizard Expert can help.  http://www.jiftech.com/

February 3, 2014 5:39 AM

She has a sister named Cecilia, an Italian mother, and a half-Asian American father, living in an educated area of Virginia.  Clarisonic Mia 2

February 3, 2014 8:19 AM

I can't believe that Emma is such a popular name...Personally, i don't like it!

February 12, 2014 10:29 AM

Massachusetts: 1. William 1. Benjamin 3. Jacob
Montana: 1. Mason 2. Liam 3. Wyatt
New Jersey: 1. Michael 2. Ryan 3. Anthony
Hawaii: 1. Noah 2. Mason 3. Elijah  bubblegum casting

February 16, 2014 6:44 AM

That unconventional naming process gave us otter parents Chowder and Clementine, and this sibling set. how to make money

March 7, 2014 2:09 PM

In this roundup of hot names around America, the boys' chart gives the best sense of the country's regional diversity.    hae

March 8, 2014 5:45 AM

The 36th most popular name for girls is Paisley and then the one that really left me scratching my head was number 69 for girls, Oakley.  golf driver review

March 15, 2014 10:22 AM

In this roundup of hot names around America, the boys' chart gives the best sense of the country's regional diversity.   Group vacation ideas

March 28, 2014 7:33 AM

This was a truly educational notify, Ive been searching for the extreme frew slabs for a relate. The canvass is upon! Protected Trust Deeds

March 31, 2014 12:11 PM

You can see the Mexican influence in Texas, where Sofia is in the top 10 along with Sophia. In Texas Camila, a very popular name in Mexico.  descargar counter strike 1.6 gratis

By jams
April 2, 2014 3:04 AM

is bubblegum casting legitimate

May 3, 2014 4:10 AM

do my homework

June 4, 2014 12:49 PM

Pretty fantastic post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your weblog posts . Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon

July 1, 2014 7:15 AM

very interesting piece of information. Thanks for discussing it. it's very helpful. I wish that there will be more interesting discussion here