Abel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Abel:
Derived from the Hebrew hebel (breath). Abel, the second son of Adam and Eve, was a shepherd whose sacrifice of a lamb was more pleasing to God than the offering of fruits and vegetables by his eldest brother,Cain. He was killed by Cain in a fit of jealous rage.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Abel? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Abel
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary 2014
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary 2010
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in The Netherlands
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
Contribute your knowledge to the name Abel
- Comments and insights on the name Abel
- Personal experiences with the name Abel
- Nicknames for Abel
- Meanings and history of the name Abel
From the Hebrew name הֶבֶל (Hevel) or הָבֶל (Havel) which meant "breath". In the Old Testament he is the second son of Adam and Eve. In England, this name came into use during the Middle Ages, and it was common during the Puritan era.
- Famous real-life people named Abel
Son of Adam and Eve, shepherd, slain by brother Cain out of envy
Abel Pacheco de la Espriella, President of Costa Rica.
Abel Gance, French film director.
Abel Tasman, Dutch navigator and explorer who discovered Tasmania, New Zealand, and the Tonga and Fiji Islands -- Tasmania was named in his honor.
Niels Henrik Abel, Norwegian mathematician. The Abel Prize, an international mathematics prize, is named in his honor.
Abel Maldonado, American politician and former Lt. Governor of California.
Saint Abel of Reims, 8th century abbot and Bishop of Reims, France.
Abel Ferrara, American film director
Abel James Arnett (b. 2010), son of American actress, voice artist, comedian, director, producer, and writer Amy Poehler and Canadian-American actor, voice actor, and comedian Will Arnett
- Abel in song, story & screen
Abel Magwitch, fictional character in Charles Dickens’ novel Great Expectations.
Abel's Island, Newbery award winning children's novel written and illustrated by William Steig.
Abel Teller, Jackson Teller's son on the show Sons of Anarachy
Abel "The Riverton Ripper" Plenkov; Serial killer in "My Soul To Take"