Aeneas Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Aeneas? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Aeneas
Contribute your knowledge to the name Aeneas
- Comments and insights on the name Aeneas
Traditionally pronounced eh-NEE-ass.
Possibly derived from Greek αἰνή meaning "praised."
- Personal experiences with the name Aeneas
- Nicknames for Aeneas
- Meanings and history of the name Aeneas
In Greco-Roman mythology, Aeneas was a Trojan hero, the son of the prince Anchises and the goddess Venus (Aphrodite). He is a character in Greek mythology and is mentioned in Homer's Iliad. Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome.
- Famous real-life people named Aeneas
- Aeneas in song, story & screen