Alan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alan:
A Celtic name of uncertain etymology. Alan was brought to England by the Normans during the Conquest. The name was borne by Alan, earl of Brittany, a follower of William the Conqueror.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alan
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland 2012
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alan
- Comments and insights on the name Alan
One likely reason that Alan (not a traditional Spanish name) is still popular in the "Spanish Southwest" while not in the rest of the country, is because older relatives with limited English can easily pronounce it in Spanish. Edgar and Ivan also fall into this category.
Alan, Lana and Nala are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Alan
I was reluctant to use the name Alan with my son because I despise the nickname "Al". We decided to use the name Alan with our second son despite the nickname and ALWAYS insist on Alan. He's in his 20s now and really suits his name. He loves his name and always insists on Alan as well. He will never go by Al and oddly enough not too many people have tried to call him Al. My parents had a much more difficult time with people calling my brother Daniel "Dan".
- Nicknames for Alan
Al, Alli, Allie, Ally, Lannie, Big A, Ally Wally, Cuddly Wuddly
- Meanings and history of the name Alan
- Famous real-life people named Alan
Alan Alda, actor
Alan Arkin, actor
Alan Turing, English mathematician and computer scientist. Was instrumental in codebreaking during WWII but afterward was institutionalized and harassed by the UK government for his homosexuality, eventually committing suicide
Alan Moore, graphic novelist, author of Watchmen, V for Vendetta
Alan Sillitoe, British novelist of "Angry Young Men" era
Alan Hale, Sr., actor, frequent side-kick to Errol Flynn, played Little John to Flynn's Robin Hood
Alan Hale, Jr., actor, best known as Skipper on Gilligan's Island
Alan Ashby, guitarist for the band Of Mice & Men
- Alan in song, story & screen
Alan Quartermain, lead character in adventure novels by H. Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines)
Alan-a-Dale, minstrel in Robin Hood legends