Alessandro Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alessandro:
Congate of the compound Greek name composed of the elements alexein (to defend, to help) and andros (man): hence, “defender or helper of mankind.” The name was borne by Alexander the Great (356—323 B.C.), a Macedonian king and military conqueror who helped spread the Greek culture across Asia Minor to Egypt and India. Var: Aleksandr, Aleksandur, Alexander, Alexandras. Short: Alek, Alekos, Alex, Alexei, Alexios, Alexis, Sander, Sandros.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alessandro? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alessandro
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy 2014
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (Italian)
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy, 2010
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy 2011
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (Italian) 2012
- Italian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Italy
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alessandro
- Comments and insights on the name Alessandro
Italian Version of Alexander, Alejandro, Aladdin.
- Personal experiences with the name Alessandro
I want to change my name to Alessandro, I love the name since a was a kid. I thought about giving it to my son before, but I want it to myself now.
I'm an Italian girl and I LOVE this name so much!!! It's my favorite boy name. I used to have a goldfish named Alessandro; I lost him a while ago and I still miss him! To honor him I'm gonna name one of my future sons Alessandro.
- Nicknames for Alessandro
Andy, Alex, Sandro, Sandy, Ollie, Ali, Al, Alandy, Aliababua.
- Meanings and history of the name Alessandro
- Famous real-life people named Alessandro
Sandro Botticelli, Renaissance artist ("Primavera," "The Birth of Venus"),
Alessandro Volta, physicist (invented first electric cell in 1800)
Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Italian fashion designer
Alessandro Cortini, musician, the keyboardist in Nine Inch Nails
Alessandro Nivola, actor
Alessandro Manzoni, writer ("I Promessi Sposi")
Alessandro Pertini, Italian President
Alessandro Fortis, Italian Prime Minister
Alessandro Camon, Italian screenwriter and film producer.
Alessandro Petacchi, Italian professional racing cyclist.
Alessandro Nannini, Italian F1 driver
- Alessandro in song, story & screen
Alessandro (Alexander the Great), an opera composed by Handel.