Alford Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alfred:
Derived from the Old English Ælfred, a compounding of the elements ælf (elf) and ræd (counsel). Elves were considered to be supernatural beings having special powers of seeing into the future; thus the name took on the meaning "wise counsel."
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alford? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alford
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alford
- Comments and insights on the name Alford
- Personal experiences with the name Alford
- Nicknames for Alford
- Meanings and history of the name Alford
- Famous real-life people named Alford
Steve Alford, basketball coach
- Alford in song, story & screen