Amir Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Amir:
Derived from the Arabic amīr (prince, emir), which is from the verb amara (to command, to rule). Amir has been used as a title for a host of designations including rulers of provinces and caliphs.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Amir? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Amir
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) for 2012
- Kazakhstani Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Kazakhstan 2014
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- Kazakhstani Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Kazakhstan
Contribute your knowledge to the name Amir
- Comments and insights on the name Amir
- Personal experiences with the name Amir
- Nicknames for Amir
- Meanings and history of the name Amir
Amir is a Hebrew and Arabic name meaning "treetop," and also a French diminutive meaning "little beloved."
Its other meaning in Hebrew is "tall".
- Famous real-life people named Amir
Amir Khan, aka "King Khan", English boxer of Pakistani descent.
Amir Rathaur-Bageria, Canadian actor
Amir Epps (b. 2007), son of American actor, rapper, songwriter, and record producer Omar Epps
- Amir in song, story & screen
Amir is the name of the main character and narrator of the novel/movie "The Kite Runner."