Bertrand Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Bertram:
Derived from the obsolete Old High German Berahtram (bright raven), a compound name composed from the elements beraht (bright, famous) and hraban (raven). The name and its variant Bertrand were introduced to England at the time of the Conquest.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Bertrand? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Bertrand
Contribute your knowledge to the name Bertrand
- Comments and insights on the name Bertrand
- Personal experiences with the name Bertrand
- Nicknames for Bertrand
- Meanings and history of the name Bertrand
French version of the German name Bertram
- Famous real-life people named Bertrand
Bertrand Russell, British philosopher
- Bertrand in song, story & screen
Bertrand Baudelaire, the father of Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire in Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books.