Brien Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Brian:
Irish name of uncertain etymology. It is generally thought to be of Celtic origin, but its meaning is disputed. Some believe it to be derived from the root bri (force, strength), brîgh (valor, strength), or bruaich (a hill, steep, high). The name was introduced to different parts of England in the Middle Ages by Scandinavians from Ireland and by Bretons from Brittany. Var: Brien, Bryan. Short: Bri.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Brien? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Brien
Contribute your knowledge to the name Brien
- Comments and insights on the name Brien
- Personal experiences with the name Brien
- Nicknames for Brien
- Meanings and history of the name Brien
- Famous real-life people named Brien
- Brien in song, story & screen