Cesar Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Cesar:
From the Latin Caesar, a name of uncertain etymology. Some believe Caesar to be derived from caedo (to cut); others think it to be from caesius (blue-gray). Another suggestion is that it is derived from caesaries (hairy, with abundant hair). The name was borne by Gaius Julius Caesar (100? - 44 B.C.), the Roman general and statesman who was dictator of the Roman Empire from 49 to 44 B.C. Caesar was subsequently used as the imperial title of the emperor of Rome from Augustus to Hadrian, and for the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. It later evolved into a vocabulary word for an emperor or dictator.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cesar? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cesar
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Paraguayan Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Paraguay
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cesar
- Comments and insights on the name Cesar
- Personal experiences with the name Cesar
- Nicknames for Cesar
- Meanings and history of the name Cesar
- Famous real-life people named Cesar
César Baldaccini, French sculptor
Cesar Chavez, civil rights activist
Cesar Millan, professional dog trainer and television host.
César Milstein, winner of the Nobel Prize in Medicine
César Pelli, Argentinian architect.
Cesar Romero, actor
César Santos, Cuban-American contemporary artist
César Tovar, "Mr. Versatility", Venezuelan Major League Baseball infielder/outfielder.
- Cesar in song, story & screen
The César Award is the national film award of France.