Cian Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cian? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cian
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cian
- Comments and insights on the name Cian
We named our son Cian in 2004.
It was unheard of then in the U.S. though we've bumped into a few younger ones, usually spelled Kian.
My name Cian is derived from my father's nickname Ciano (his full name Feliciano), and it's pronounced in the Spanish way, 'Shawn' .... it's a treat to know Cian means 'ancient' in Celt, but pronounced KEE-an!
- Personal experiences with the name Cian
My name Cian is pronounced Sean/Shawn, and people are surprised at it's spelling and they really like it. Pronounced 'KEE-an' I can understand why it's not a popular name in America. However pronounced 'Sean' I would think it's popularity rating would soar. However, I'm glad to be the sole owner (at least in my experience) to have this unique name.
- Nicknames for Cian
- Meanings and history of the name Cian
Celtic for "ancient"
In Irish mythology, Cian is Dian Cecht’s son, husband of the Fomoire Ethne, Lugh’s father.
He was killed by Tuireann’s sons while he had a boar’s shape. Seven times, the earth refused his body.
- Famous real-life people named Cian
Cían mac Máelmuaid was an ally of Brian Boru and is believed to have married Brian's daughter
Cian Morrin, member of Irish boyband HomeTown
- Cian in song, story & screen
There was a recent fantasy series featuring a character named Cian who fights vampires. The books were by Nora Roberts.