Clifford Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Clifford:
Transferred use of the surname originating from a place-name derived from the Old English elements clif (cliff, slope, bank of a river) and ford (ford, river crossing): hence, "ford at the cliff."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Clifford? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Clifford
Contribute your knowledge to the name Clifford
- Comments and insights on the name Clifford
- Personal experiences with the name Clifford
- Nicknames for Clifford
- Meanings and history of the name Clifford
- Famous real-life people named Clifford
• Clifford Brown (American jazz trumpeter)
• Clifford Harris, Jr. (American rapper, T.I.)
• Clifford Olin, son of American actors Ken Olin and Patricia Wettig
• Clifford Burton (Metallica bassist 1982 - 1986) RIP
- Clifford in song, story & screen
Clifford the Big Red Dog, children's book series and tv show