Clive Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Clive:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Old English clif (cliff, slope, bank of a river). The word is found in many English place-names, and Clive was probably first used for someone who lived near one of these places, or for someone who lived near a cliff or a riverbank. The use of Clive as a given name dates to the 18th century, when it was bestowed in honor of the baron of Plassey, Robert Clive (1725 - 74), the British soldier and statesman who established British control over India.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Clive? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Clive
Contribute your knowledge to the name Clive
- Comments and insights on the name Clive
Clive is also a nickname for Clifford.
- Personal experiences with the name Clive
My dad is Clive. I have never met anyone as amazing an inspiring as he is. He is hard working, kind, caring and selfless. At the age of 68 he is training for the local half marathon, this October (2016). Which is truly inspiring. There's not many other almost 70 year olds who would do that!!!
- Nicknames for Clive
- Meanings and history of the name Clive
- Famous real-life people named Clive
- Clive Staples (C. S.) Lewis, novelist, academic, author of the Narnia chronicles and Christian apologist
Clive Barker -author
Clive Cussler - author
- Clive in song, story & screen
- Clive Davis, president of Arista Record Company and member of Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame
- Clive Owen, Academy Award-nominated English actor who appeared in "Sin City," "Inside Man," "Children of Men" and "The International."
Clive from the CW show iZombie