Clive Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Clive:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Old English clif (cliff, slope, bank of a river). The word is found in many English place-names, and Clive was probably first used for someone who lived near one of these places, or for someone who lived near a cliff or a riverbank. The use of Clive as a given name dates to the 18th century, when it was bestowed in honor of the baron of Plassey, Robert Clive (1725 - 74), the British soldier and statesman who established British control over India.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Clive? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Clive
Contribute your knowledge to the name Clive
- Comments and insights on the name Clive
- Personal experiences with the name Clive
- Nicknames for Clive
- Meanings and history of the name Clive
- Famous real-life people named Clive
- Clive Staples (C. S.) Lewis, novelist, academic, author of the Narnia chronicles and Christian apologist
Clive Barker -author
Clive Cussler - author
- Clive in song, story & screen
- Clive Davis, president of Arista Record Company and member of Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame
- Clive Owen, Academy Award-nominated English actor who appeared in "Sin City," "Inside Man," "Children of Men" and "The International."
Clive from the CW show iZombie