Demetrius Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Demetrius:
Derived from the Greek Demetrios (of Demeter). The name is borne in the Bible by a silversmith who made a living crafting shrines and models of the temple of Diana. He started a riot after sales fell off as a result of the preaching of Paul (Acts 19). The name was also borne by a Christian of great merit. (3 John 12).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Demetrius? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Demetrius
Contribute your knowledge to the name Demetrius
- Comments and insights on the name Demetrius
- Personal experiences with the name Demetrius
- Nicknames for Demetrius
Demetri, Trai, Mitri,D,Dee
- Meanings and history of the name Demetrius
- Famous real-life people named Demetrius
- Demetrius in song, story & screen
Dimitrius Gans - Special Agent/Acting Supervisor for the F.B.I in the TV series 'Sue Thomas F.B.Eye'