Dmitriy Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Demetrius:
Derived from the Greek Demetrios (of Demeter). The name is borne in the Bible by a silversmith who made a living crafting shrines and models of the temple of Diana. He started a riot after sales fell off as a result of the preaching of Paul (Acts 19). The name was also borne by a Christian of great merit. (3 John 12).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Dmitriy? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Dmitriy
Contribute your knowledge to the name Dmitriy
- Comments and insights on the name Dmitriy
- Personal experiences with the name Dmitriy
- Nicknames for Dmitriy
- Meanings and history of the name Dmitriy
Russian form of Demetrius
- Famous real-life people named Dmitriy
Russian chemist Dmitriy Mendeleev
- Dmitriy in song, story & screen