Edison Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Edison:
Transferred use of the English surname meaning “Eadie’s son, Edie’s son.” Eadie and Edie are obsolete Old English names derived from ēad (prosperity, wealth). Short: Ed. Pet: Eddie, Eddy.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Edison? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Edison
Contribute your knowledge to the name Edison
- Comments and insights on the name Edison
- Personal experiences with the name Edison
- Nicknames for Edison
Ed, Eddie, Ned
- Meanings and history of the name Edison
- Famous real-life people named Edison
- Edison in song, story & screen