Egidio Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Giles:
From the Old French Gilles, a derivative of the Latin Aegidius, which is from the Greek aigis ( a goatskin shield of Zeus, a protection). The name was borne by the semilegendary St. Giles, a 7th-century Athenian who had the power to work miracles and heal the crippled. He fled to southern Gaul and became a hermit to escape fame and the adoration of his fans. Nevertheless, he was popular throughout Europe, and his name was favored in the Middle Ages.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Egidio
Contribute your knowledge to the name Egidio
- Comments and insights on the name Egidio
Italian form of the Latin name Aegidius
- Personal experiences with the name Egidio
- Nicknames for Egidio
- Meanings and history of the name Egidio
- Famous real-life people named Egidio
- Egidio in song, story & screen