Elis Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Elias:
A borrowing from the Greek, Elias is a cognate of the Hebrew Eliyahu, which is derived from 'ēlīyāhū (Jehovah is God). The name is a variant of Elijah, the name borne in the Bible by a prophet of Israel in the 9th century B.C.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elis? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Elis
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden 2014
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Wales
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden for 2012
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elis
- Comments and insights on the name Elis
A rare, old-fashioned (and currently upward-trending) Swedish variant of Elias. Pronounced EH-lis (with a long "eh" sound on the first syllable). Finnish spelling variant is Eelis.
- Personal experiences with the name Elis
This is my cousin's name... Though this particular cousin is a female and the way her name is pronounced is eh-lease, like Elyse. I'd take into consideration where you live when you name your child this, most people where I live pronounce it this way (eh-lease) and not eh-lis.
I have a female cousin named this, and I know two boys named Elis too. All three pronounce it the same way, Eh-liss. I like the name a lot, and prefer it on a boy.
- Nicknames for Elis
- Meanings and history of the name Elis
Welsh name pronounced Air-liss, or Eh-liss.
- Famous real-life people named Elis
- Elis in song, story & screen