Eric Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Eric:
Derived from the Old Norse Eirìkr, a compounding of the elements ei (ever, always) and ríkr (ruler): hence, “eternal ruler.” Var: Aric, Erick, Erik, Irricc.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eric? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Eric
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (Italian)
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Andorran Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Andorra 2014
- Catalonian Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Catalonia 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Andorran Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Andorra
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eric
- Comments and insights on the name Eric
- Personal experiences with the name Eric
- Nicknames for Eric
Ric; Rick; Rik, E, Ricky
Er (pronounced "Air")
- Meanings and history of the name Eric
From the Old Norse name Eiríkr, derived from the elements ei "ever, always" and ríkr "ruler". A notable bearer was Eiríkr inn Rauda (Eric the Red in English), a 10th-century navigator and explorer who discovered Greenland. This was also the name of several early kings of Sweden, Denmark and Norway.
Brave ruler, every powerful
- Famous real-life people named Eric
Eric Clapton, English guitarist and singer-songwriter
Eric Darius, jazz saxophonist
Eric Sevareid, American war correspondent
Erik Estrada, American actor (CHiPs)
Eric Staal, Canadian NHL hockey player
Eric Idle, British comedian (Monty Python) and writer.
Erik the Red, Viking explorer
Eriq La Salle, American actor ( ER)
Eric Burdon, English singer-songwriter (The Animals, War.)
Eric Bana, Australian actor.
Eric Spoelstra, Miami Heat headcoach
Eric Stoltz, American actor.
Eric Roberts, American actor.
Eric Dickerson, Pro Football Hall of Fame running back.
Eric Hayes, "Table for 12", father of sextuplets
Eric "EJ" Hayes, "Table for 12", sextuplet
Eric Choi, drummer for the band We Came As Romans
Eric Osborne, Canadian actor
Eric Dier, English defender for Tottenham Hotspur
- Eric in song, story & screen
Eric and the Animals, band
Prince Eric, character in "The Little Mermaid"
Eric/Erec character in Chretien de Troyes's "Erec and Enide"
"Eric's Trip", song by Sonic Youth
Eric/Erik van der Woodsen, character in Gossip Girl series
Eric Northman, character in "The Southern Vampire Mysteries" by Charlaine Harris, and in HBO's "True Blood" TV series
Eric Forman; Name of the son on "That 70's Show" and also a doctor on "House"
Eric Camden, the minister/husband/dad on "7th Heaven"
Eric Cartman, antihero on South Park.
Eric Taylor, football coach on "Friday Night Lights" TV series
Erik Lehnsherr, Magneto from the X-Men comics and films
Eric Gitter, Ink from the X-Man comics
Erik from The Heir and The Crown (Selections series)