Erysichthon Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Erysichthon
Contribute your knowledge to the name Erysichthon
- Comments and insights on the name Erysichthon
It's a bit of a mouthful, but it's also historically important with a rich history.
- Personal experiences with the name Erysichthon
- Nicknames for Erysichthon
- Meanings and history of the name Erysichthon
"Earth-tearer", from the Greek.
- Famous real-life people named Erysichthon
- Erysichthon in song, story & screen
The name's most famous bearer is arguably one of the most despicable characters ever portrayed in Greek mythology. Erysichthon mercilessly killed a dryad nymph out of spite one day in a forest, and as punishment Demeter requested Famine to go after him. He was cursed with everlasting hunger, which was so strong that he lost all his wealth and property in an effort to make it stop. He then sold his daughter, Mestra, into slavery as a way of making more money (she was clever, though, and had some creative ways of escaping this fate.) Eventually, at a loss for any other way, Erysichthon ate himself, carrying out Demeter's revenge.