Gerard Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Gerard:
Derived from the Old High German Gerhart (spear strength, brave with the spear), which is composed from the elementsger (a spear) and hart (hearty, brave, strong).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gerard? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Gerard
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2014
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Catalonian Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in Catalonia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gerard
- Comments and insights on the name Gerard
- Personal experiences with the name Gerard
- Nicknames for Gerard
Gerry, Ged, Rard, Gee, UNCLE JIGGY
- Meanings and history of the name Gerard
From Old High German, meaning "strong spear". Pronounced jer-ARD in English, zher-AR in French.
- Famous real-life people named Gerard
Gerard Way, extremely sexy, coffee loving, life saving, lead singer of My Chemical Romance and author of comic book series "The Umbrella Academy" He has had many hairstyles but his longish black one from 2007 is the best, he has really cute teeth and an amazing voice and he is my lord and savior ADDED NOTE *TRUTH*!!!
^Amen to that!! <3
OH GOD YAAAAAAS!! SO TRUE!
Gerard Manley Hopkins, English poet and priest
Gerard Depardieu, French actor
Gerard Butler, Scottish actor
Gerard McSorley, Irish actor
Gerard Canonico (born 1989), American Broadway actor and singer
St. Gerard Majella, patron saint of pregnant women
Gerard Sokoto, South African musician
- Gerard in song, story & screen
Gerard, the name of Amy's tootbrush in "The Big Bang Theory"