Giovanno Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Giovanni:
The Italian cognate of John (God is gracious), which is derived from the Middle Latin Johannes, an evolution of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Joannes. Joannes is from the Greek Iōannes, a derivative of the Hebrew Yehanan, a short form of Yehohanan, which is from yehōhānān (Yahweh is gracious). The name is borne in the Bible by several important characters, including John the Baptist, a kinsman and forerunner of Christ.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Giovanno
Contribute your knowledge to the name Giovanno
- Comments and insights on the name Giovanno
- Personal experiences with the name Giovanno
Giovanno is one of my favorite names for a boy. I like it better than it's form "Giovanni."
- Nicknames for Giovanno
- Meanings and history of the name Giovanno
God is Gracious
- Famous real-life people named Giovanno
- Giovanno in song, story & screen