Gryffin Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Griffin:
Borrowed from the Welsh, Griffin is from Griffinus, a Latinate form of Griffith which was used in the Middle Ages. Griffith is a Welsh name of debated origin. Some believe it to be an Anglicized form of Gruffydd, the Welsh form of the Roman Rufus (red, ruddy). Others however, think the name is derived from the Old Welsh Grippiud (prince).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gryffin? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Gryffin
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gryffin
- Comments and insights on the name Gryffin
- Personal experiences with the name Gryffin
I like the name Griffin, but my favorite letter is y so I replaced the first I with a y.
- Nicknames for Gryffin
- Meanings and history of the name Gryffin
- Famous real-life people named Gryffin
- Gryffin in song, story & screen